• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Maybe im not watching close enough but i don't see this all that often - i see Kane drop deep/wide to get the ball with players ahead of him much more than the ball played to Kane in the middle as the most advanced man with the intention of him holding it up

That's pretty much what I'm seeing too. See Gestede's heatmap for comparison.

Kane_heatmap.png

Kane vs Swansea

Aguero_heatmap_Newcastle.png

Aguero vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Gestede_heatmap_Stoke.png

Gestede vs Stoke

Lukaku_heatmap_Liverpool.png

Lukaku vs Liverpool

Sakho_heatmap_Sunderland.png

Sakho vs Sunderland

Kane needs to study Aguero's heat map..........they are the areas he should be occupying

I think Kane can do both. However if we are to deploy him as the number 10 then we are going to have to go out and buy ourselves another number 9 as I don't think there is another player at the club currently who could fulfill that role for us.

I agree, and that is one of the reasons I was hoping we would get Benteke during the summer. Kane can do both as you say but I really believe he would be even better as a number 10. Not likely to happen now though at least until the window opens again.

Why do you think it's clear that Kane's role is different from eriksen, lamela and Chadli based on those maps? Kane, Chadli and eriksen all play most of the game from midway between the edge of the centre circle and the opposing D, just on different sides. With lamela slightly deeper. Are you seeing something different to how I've explained?

For me, based on watching games (and I don't think this is a surprise to anyone, or some sort of amazing insight!!), Kane's starting position is higher up the pitch on the last defender, but he drops deep from there, the three behind start deeper but make breaks / runs to join and go beyond Kane. The net "heat map" effect is pretty similar for all 4 players based on those pics.

Well he seems more central and further forward (would have been more so but he dropped back when Nije came on.... i assume) he also took five shots from inside the area mostly central. Unsurprisingly he seems the furtherest forward and most central of the front four.

Well he seems more central and further forward (would have been more so but he dropped back when Nije came on.... i assume) he also took five shots from inside the area mostly central. Unsurprisingly he seems the furtherest forward and most central of the front four.

I think you may be misunderstanding - of course Kane will show up as our furthest forward and most central player, he is our starting CF after all, what people are saying is that he doesn't play like a traditional lone forward who stays central all the time and holds the ball up or looks to make runs in behind - he drops deep/wide a lot which in turn allows our AMs to move in to the space he creates - it's why we were in for CFs like Berahino and Martial in the summer as they are comfortable in any of the attacking positions (L/RWF AM CF) rather than forwards who solely play through the middle, having CFs in this mould allows for a fluid attack where the attacking 4 interchange frequently

Last edited:
I think you may be misunderstanding - of course Kane will show up as our furthest forward and most central player, he is our starting CF after all, what people are saying is that he doesn't play like a traditional lone forward who stays central all the time and holds the ball up or looks to make runs in behind - he drops deep/wide a lot which in turn allows our AMs to move in to the space he creates - it's why we were in for CFs like Berahino and Martial in the summer as they are comfortable in any of the attacking positions (L/RWF AM CF) rather than forwards who solely play through the middle, having CFs in this mould allows for a fluid attack where the attacking 4 interchange frequently

Its quite possible that im misunderstanding (as i havent really paid much attention to heat maps before). but looking at the heat maps of the other lone forwards all of them bar two, frequently drop deep. What i thought was being said was that we play a system where all of our front four are completely interchanging through out the match, if this was the case i would expect all four heat maps to show resmblelence to each other.... which they dont.... apart from the two wide mens (to each othe and one inversed.... which again points to distinct roles). This doesnt mean that there is no interchanging going on of course there is there always is/ has been with lone forwards. Remember the critism Ade got for his left wing bias?

But Kane like all lone forwards is still playing a distinct role and we cant just put Chadli, or Lamela or ALi up front and not miss a beat..... ergo we only only have one lone forward..... who we have heaped to much pressure on imho.

Last edited:
Its quite possible that im misunderstanding (as i havent really paid much attention to heat maps before). but looking at the heat maps of the other lone forwards all of them bar two, frequently drop deep. What i thought was being said was that we play a system where all of our front four are completely interchanging through out the match, if this was the case i would expect all four heat maps to show resmblelence to each other.... which they dont.... apart from the two wide mens (to each othe and one inversed.... which again points to distinct roles). This doesnt mean that there is no interchanging going on of course there is there always is/ has been with lone forwards. Remember the critism Ade got for his left wing bias?

But Kane like all lone forwards is still playing a distinct role and we cant just put Chadli, or Lamela or ALi up front and not miss a beat..... ergo we only only have one lone forward..... who we have heaped to much pressure on imho.

He's playing as the central forward, that doesn't mean he's a lone forward. We could easily play with Son, Chadli or Alli in that role, even Lamela.

A lone forward to me is someone who is expected to do a lot of work on his own, often isolated, and is more typical for a bottom half side. Holding up the ball or winning headers is for sides who defend deep and don't attack with a lot of players.

He's playing as the central forward, that doesn't mean he's a lone forward. We could easily play with Son, Chadli or Alli in that role, even Lamela.

A lone forward to me is someone who is expected to do a lot of work on his own, often isolated, and is more typical for a bottom half side. Holding up the ball or winning headers is for sides who defend deep and don't attack with a lot of players.

We could play with me up front as well doesnt mean that i would be as good in the role as Kane ;)

I think that kane does hold up the ball and he does bring others in to play. I think he has a distinct skill set that no one else in the squad has. I cant see that playing other people that have never/ rarely played effectively as a lone forward/ central striker is a good alternative. And i think that poch agrees, as he is making someone who didnt have a rest during yhe summer play two games a week.

Not at all, I mean the 6 different names for each position and then 12 definitions of that position depending on who's got the ball, where everyone else is, what direction they're facing and what colour they're laces are.

I really feel for the guy though. A goal that may or may not be awarded to him, some spectacular saves by the keeper and the defender blocking, what's a striker gotta do to get a goal?!

I really feel for the guy though. A goal that may or may not be awarded to him, some spectacular saves by the keeper and the defender blocking, what's a striker gotta do to get a goal?!
It's like a gypsy curse being passed from one Spurs striker to the next.

His bad form only started after he played for England. Wish Pochettino had advised him against playing for England so soon. England's gain looks like Spurs' loss now.

Another terrifying performance from kane. His general play is really good, but his striking is awful. Hope it's just a knock to his confidence and not just his general ability.

Back