• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

The players at Spurs see a manager with a history of winning Cup finals sacked a few days before a Cup final. They see managers who have built very good teams not being given the last few players when there is a real chance of silverware. They see managers remain in place even after going out of the Cup competitions to lesser opposition but those same managers get sacked when we miss out on the top 4 or look as though we are likely to do so. It is very clear to the players at Spurs that there is no real ambition to win trophies at our club.
Agree with all of the above. However, re the bolded, I suspect at least part of the problem may be a reluctance by Levy and the Board to splash the cash because of certain past failures, whereas when they go bargain hunting they may feel they have more chance of a retrun on their (ahem) shrewd investment!

Our most expensive signings

Richarlison £60m
Ndombele £54m
Porro £40m
Sanches £38m
Sissoko £31m
Lamela £30m
Lo Celso £29m
Soldado £27m
Bergwyn £27m
Son £27m

And some of our lowest

Rose £1m
Lennon £1m
Walker £4m
Carrick £4m
Bale £5m
Defoe £7m + player exchange
Van Der Vaart £8m
Keane £9m
Eriksen £11m
Alderweireld £11m
Lloris £11m
Vertonghen £12m
Berbatov £14m
Dembele £15m
Modric £16m

Admittedly transfer fees have rocketed in recent years but even so, there were some outstanding bargains amongst those lower signings. Of course there have also been many hits and misses in between (though probably more misses than hits) but you get the picture.

The transfer market is always going to be something of a lottery and we know Enic can never go toe-to-toe with trillionaire owners or nation state marketing projects, so their only hope is to play the market, put together a carefully-thought out squad and get lucky with a manager who can make it all work for us.

It's galling to concede that A'nal currently appear to be showing exactly how it's done!

It's clearly not mental at all. Players win things before they join us and after they leave us.
A big part of that though is the majority leave us to go to play in inferior leagues, but bigger sides in those leagues (partly as they are the only clubs who can afford the wages)
Tanguy will be quite unique this season in winning the league but having both us and his club on loan who don’t want him (well for the agree fee)

Last edited:
It's clearly not mental at all. Players win things before they join us and after they leave us.

It’s cultural, in my opinion. As Conte said (not that he was necessarily right to say it in the way that he did) it is about how the club is set up, the expectations, the players’ approach as a result of those things.

Where that ends and becomes ‘mental’ is an interesting question.

But collectively in the Spurs colours they don’t. Why do other teams seem to get the feeling that if you put us under pressure we’ll break ? Because they/we have seen it time and time again. See recently v Sheff Utd. Do people really believe we didn’t have enough quality players on the pitch to win that game? We did but once the opposition got a sniff that we weren’t really up for it they went for it and we folded like a cheap suit. It’s like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’ll take a particularly (mentally) strong manager and group of players to enable us to rise above that.

Stone me, another thread another blame the club solely for the lack of cup success.

I mean the 11 Cup finals and semi finals that we have lost In the last 10 years or so are all down to the board not having the ambition to win those cups?

Nothing to do with the players or the managers or good opposition not rolling over for Spurs like we would have liked.

Jesus Christ the rhetoric that it's one man's fault for the clubs failings is rubbing rather boring now.

Maybe we can blame him for averaging 1 domestic trophy every 10 years over our entire history too?

Seeing as this is the Harry Kane thread, are we seriously saying that a player like Kane with his laser focus on records decides not to score in any major cup final for us because the board and chairman of the club?

FML

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Stone me, another thread another blame the club solely for the lack of cup success.

I mean the 11 Cup finals and semi finals that we have lost In the last 10 years or so are all down to the board not having the ambition to win those cups?

Nothing to do with the players or the managers or good opposition not rolling over for Spurs like we would have liked.

Jesus Christ the rhetoric that it's one man's fault for the clubs failings is rubbing rather boring now.

Maybe we can blame him for averaging 1 domestic trophy every 10 years over our entire history too?

Seeing as this is the Harry Kane thread, are we seriously saying that a player like Kane with his laser focus on records decides not to score in any major cup final for us because the board and chairman of the club?

FML

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Take a bow.

But collectively in the Spurs colours they don’t. Why do other teams seem to get the feeling that if you put us under pressure we’ll break ? Because they/we have seen it time and time again. See recently v Sheff Utd. Do people really believe we didn’t have enough quality players on the pitch to win that game? We did but once the opposition got a sniff that we weren’t really up for it they went for it and we folded like a cheap suit. It’s like a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’ll take a particularly (mentally) strong manager and group of players to enable us to rise above that.
So the manager needs to either
(a) get a great squad spirit, all for one and one for all, everyone pulling hard to achieve the goal, willing to put their nuts on the line, literally
(b) threaten and scare them into trying hard e.g. if you don't win, you will have a 5 hour session of press ups tomorrow

If we sold Kane then I'd take Henderson as part of the price. But it would be Henderson plus £100m. Then go and spend the £100m on two CBs

If we're selling Kane we should be slapping down 100m (or whatever we get for him) on the best CF we could possibly attract

Back