• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Football Trivia Question of the Day

Grimsby, although technically it was not the Third Division South that year. Walsall and Mansfield.

Possibly S****horpe (another chance to show up the word censor) or Lincoln City.

Last edited:
Grimsby, although technically it was not the Third Division South that year. Walsall and Mansfield.

Possibly S****horpe (another chance to show up the word censor) or Lincoln City.

Grimsby Town were original members of the Third Division in 1920-21, but played all their games from 1921-22 to 1957-58 in the Third Division North.

Mansfield Town & Walsall are both correct.

Three more to get...

Last edited:
Grimsby Town were original members of the Third Division in 1920-21, but played all their games from 1921-22 to 1957-58 in the Third Division North.

I'm unsure whether that inaugural third division should be considered the third division south or not. There was no corresponding north division until the next season. But I have read that there was a plan to create the two regional divisions all along and that the northern division was delayed because if was more difficult to organise, getting clubs from a number of local leagues, rather than essentially just renaming the Southern League first division. The clubs were all drawn from the south so it was a third division south in that sense, not a national division.

I'm unsure whether that inaugural third division should be considered the third division south or not. There was no corresponding north division until the next season. But I have read that there was a plan to create the two regional divisions all along and that the northern division was delayed because if was more difficult to organise, getting clubs from a number of local leagues, rather than essentially just renaming the Southern League first division. The clubs were all drawn from the south so it was a third division south in that sense, not a national division.

Yes, up to a point you're correct as what remained of the Southern League First Division essentially was absorbed into the Football League as the Third Division for season 1920-21.

But it was never referred to as Division Three South until the next season.

Yes, up to a point you're correct as what remained of the Southern League First Division essentially was absorbed into the Football League as the Third Division for season 1920-21.

But it was never referred to as Division Three South until the next season.

The original plans were for two regional leagues and its clear the southern one started early. The league may not have been referred to as the Third Division South in the press, but in planning and execution it was. The league management committee were concerned that the northern clubs were not financially sustainable and so delayed for a year. There are a few interesting snippets of information in here: http://rojosal.tripod.com/fb_reelection.htm

Bottom line, it makes more sense to consider that first third division season the first of the Third Division South than as a part of the Third Divsion that started in 1958 (?). The latter was a true national league.

Filbert Street, Highbury, Maine Road, The Dell, Roker Park, Ayresome Park, Highfield Road, Burnden Park

edit: Baseball Ground

Victoria Ground

Thinking through the candidates, its amazing how many of the top club grounds are more than 100 years old, although I doubt many of the orginal stands are still standing. Our East Stand (1934?) must be one of the oldest.

Victoria Ground

Thinking through the candidates, its amazing how many of the top club grounds are more than 100 years old, although I doubt many of the orginal stands are still standing. Our East Stand (1934?) must be one of the oldest.

Not the Victoria Ground (Stoke had already moved to the Britannia before they reached the Premier League) or Selhurst Park.

But you should be thinking of a London club.

Sunday's answer: Ayresome Park (Middlesbrough), Baseball Ground (Derby County), Burnden Park (Bolton Wanderers), The Dell (Southampton), Filbert Street (Leicester City), Highbury (Arsenal), Highfield Road (Coventry City), Maine Road (Emirates Marketing Project) Plough Lane (Wimbledon) and Roker Park (Sunderland).

Monday 29th October 2012:

Which club holds the record for the highest number of promotions & relegations in English League Football?

Back