• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European TDD (Spurs-Related Deals)

It could be argued that Sanchez is fifth in the list of options behind Foyth, KWP, Aurier and Dier. It's plain bad luck that someone that far down the list has to be played at RB. No teams squad depth will ever be so deep that 5th choice anything isn't a step down or risk.

Take Aurier out of that list and we've lost very little, especially as in January we can chase someone who we hope to be a starter (Youcef Atal)
1. Foyth (a central defender who is inexperienced, incredibly rash and currently injured).
2. KWP (actually a right back - hooray!... inexperienced, hasn't really yet shown anything to suggest that he is good enough for a team wanting to win the big trophies. Also currently injured).
3. Aurier
4. Dier (a central midfield player/centre half. Slow, especially on the turn, not the best control, easily pressed by the opposition. Would probably do a job defensively but I wouldn't expect any attacking output. Also currently injured).
5. Sanchez (another central defender, had the positional sense of an under 11 yesterday, very poor in possession, easily pressed, don't expect to actually retain possession with him at right back and the opposition pressing us, don't expect us to create anything from him against teams who sit back and defend against us. Gets a bonus point in that he is actually not injured.

Take Aurier out of that and we're left with one injured right back, 1 injured centre half, 1 injured central midfielder and 1 fit centre half who looks a fish out of water at right back.

I'm not saying that we should wait until we sign a replacement before selling Aurier. In fact I would much prefer it the other way round. We sign ourselves a new right back and then we sell Aurier.

I think all of the cover options for Aurier are a large downgrade, perhaps that is because all but one of them are not even right backs. Would another club hoping to challenge for the top honours go into the season with only one (injured!) right back in their squad?
We had Aurier, KWP and Foyth (Poch conversion) lined up for the season. Foyth got inj in the last friendly and KWP against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? That's very bad luck.

If Aurier is fit? Him not starting instead of Sanchez tells you all you need to know about what Poch thinks.

1. Foyth (a central defender who is inexperienced, incredibly rash and currently injured).
2. KWP (actually a right back - hooray!... inexperienced, hasn't really yet shown anything to suggest that he is good enough for a team wanting to win the big trophies. Also currently injured).
3. Aurier
4. Dier (a central midfield player/centre half. Slow, especially on the turn, not the best control, easily pressed by the opposition. Would probably do a job defensively but I wouldn't expect any attacking output. Also currently injured).
5. Sanchez (another central defender, had the positional sense of an under 11 yesterday, very poor in possession, easily pressed, don't expect to actually retain possession with him at right back and the opposition pressing us, don't expect us to create anything from him against teams who sit back and defend against us. Gets a bonus point in that he is actually not injured.

Take Aurier out of that and we're left with one injured right back, 1 injured centre half, 1 injured central midfielder and 1 fit centre half who looks a fish out of water at right back.

I think that Sissoko may be in that list ahead of Sanchez too but was required in CM yesterday because of the injury to Ndombele.

I would point out that Aurier is also rash and doesn't have the best concentration.

What? No one is fit? See above
Sorry I thought I saw Aurier on the bench yesterday? I was at the game so didn't see/hear who our named subs were. Was he also out injured?

But it kind of proves my point either way..... With Aurier not playing it meant we had to put Sanchez there yesterday. I don't want to see Sanchez playing there in a single other game this season. He is struggling enough at his real central defensive position at the moment, let's not permanently ruin him by hanging him out to dry at right back.

3. Aurier

There effing injured. If they weren't we wouldn't be having this conversation. How far down do you want squad depth to go?

Dier has had many a good game at RB early on whose crossing was first class from that position.

We had Aurier, KWP and Foyth (Poch conversion) lined up for the season. Foyth got inj in the last friendly and KWP against Saudi Sportswashing Machine? That's very bad luck.

If Aurier is fit? Him not starting instead of Sanchez tells you all you need to know about what Poch thinks.
It tells me that maybe he is losing his marbles? I'm not sure I have seen a worse right back performance than Sanchez's yesterday.

There effing injured. If they weren't we wouldn't be having this conversation. How far down do you want squad depth to go?

Dier has had many a good game at RB early on whose crossing was first class from that position.
*Sigh*..... So with a bunch of currently injured players who could play right back (only one of which is actually a bona-fide right back) you would sell the only actual right back that we have available to us and hope that we are able to sign a new one in January? Did you notice how high up the pitch Kolasinac was able to play yesterday? Do you think he would've been able to do that if we'd actually had a player at right back with a modicum of capability to retain possession and get himself forward?

Also..... as you say Sanchez is fifth choice.... However the first, second and fourth choices are currently injured. If we happened to sell Aurier today then please say welcome to Davinson Sanchez - Spurs' new first choice right back (until one of the others is fit.... probably October).

Last edited:
Sorry I thought I saw Aurier on the bench yesterday? I was at the game so didn't see/hear who our named subs were. Was he also out injured?

But it kind of proves my point either way..... With Aurier not playing it meant we had to put Sanchez there yesterday. I don't want to see Sanchez playing there in a single other game this season. He is struggling enough at his real central defensive position at the moment, let's not permanently ruin him by hanging him out to dry at right back.
I agree. We have defensive issues/decisions in the near to medium future (I posted about it in the 'the case for the defence' thread) , especially when you consider we want a defence to challenge for the top honours.

Foyth is not an option at RB IMHO
I actually think he is an option. He looks like he has something to work with and could become a very good right back (I think he could play in a similar way to Kolasinac at Arsenal who I think is underrated).... but unfortunately Foyth is another one who is injured.

I agree. We have defensive issues/decisions in the near to medium future (I posted about it in the 'the case for the defence' thread) , especially when you consider we want a defence to challenge for the top honours.
A defence to challenge for top honours does not consist of one single (still largely unproven) right back in the whole squad. I agree that we need to upgrade at right back and I would happily sacrifice Aurier to bring in a proper top class right back, but let's not actually sacrifice him until we have that new player.

*Sigh*..... So with a bunch of currently injured players who could play right back (only one of which is actually a bona-fide right back) you would sell the only actual right back that we have available to us and hope that we are able to sign a new one in January? Did you notice how high up the pitch Kolasinac was able to play yesterday? Do you think he would've been able to do that if we'd actually had a player at right back with a modicum of capability to retain possession and get himself forward?
Yes he's sh.it. Poch didn't pick him above Sanchez yesterday...so Poch thinks he's poo. Others will be available after the international break.

Plus we could get 15-20m for the poo RB.

A defence to challenge for top honours does not consist of one single (still largely unproven) right back in the whole squad. I agree that we need to upgrade at right back and I would happily sacrifice Aurier to bring in a proper top class right back, but let's not actually sacrifice him until we have that new player.
Read my post I referenced...to 'challenge' it's way more than this RB conversation

I think the issues at RB that @Finney Is Back highlights show in full technicolour how progressively worse our transfer market dealings have become over the last 2 years. It has to be remembered that we bought Aurier as a replacement for Walker, now we want to sell him to free up space for another RB, when any serious club with our ambitions would simply have bought a first choice in the summer window and had them ready to be used instead of waiting for someone to leave who only arrived less than 2 years ago anyway..

We will only have ourselves to blame if RB is what costs us..

Aurier got taken out by Rose in training a few weeks back. And Rose meant it by all accounts, Aurier was screaming and Rose walked away.

Yes he's sh.it. Poch didn't pick him above Sanchez yesterday...so Poch thinks he's poo. Others will be available after the international break.

Plus we could get 15-20m for the poo RB.
If you are happy to see Sanchez there for the next however many matches until one of the others is fit then that's your prerogative, the hopes the two of us have for our season are obviously very different.

Typically when centre halves play at fullback they tend to be ones who are actually good on the ball (i.e. Jan playing at left back). Sanchez is anything but good on the ball, he is arguably the weakest player in possession in our whole first team squad.

Hopefully one of the others (preferably the one who is actually a right back as opposed to a centre half/midfielder) will be available after the international break as you say. I haven't looked at the likely return dates but realistically I don't see Foyth of Dier being available until some time in October.

I would've thought we could get £15 to £20 million for Aurier just as easily in January as we can now.

I think the issues at RB that @Finney Is Back highlights show in full technicolour how progressively worse our transfer market dealings have become over the last 2 years. It has to be remembered that we bought Aurier as a replacement for Walker, now we want to sell him to free up space for another RB, when any serious club with our ambitions would simply have bought a first choice in the summer window and had them ready to be used instead of waiting for someone to leave who only arrived less than 2 years ago anyway..

We all thought we needed a RB . Poch thought otherwise. With the funds available he chose two new CM's. should have just bought one and Wan Bassaka instead?

There were no real RB rumours (maybe Aaron's) so Poch had a plan (Foyth?) ...he runs the team and I assume prioritise s?

We all thought we needed a RB . Poch thought otherwise. With the funds available he chose two new CM's. should have just bought one and Wan Bassaka instead?

There were no real RB rumours (maybe Aaron's) so Poch had a plan (Foyth?) ...he runs the team and I assume prioritise s?

I'm not just talking about now, i'm talking about the last few years. It was us (presumably Poch) who bought Aurier in the first place.
Of course there was also last summer when we didn't buy anyone and so had to do the CM upgrades now maybe at the detriment of upgrading RB.

As i say, it shows how bad our transfer market involvement has been

Summer 2018 was a brick show, I think that this summer has been pretty good, we just need the new signings to settle in and be fully integrated into the team.

Back