• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa

Talking of travel... sometimes footballers get criticised for flying around the UK.
But yesterday I drove to Liverpool. For 4.5 hours.
And today I drove home from Liverpool for 3.5 hours.
I did not play a game of football.
It is BOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRING and tiring driving around the UK. So, so boring and tiring.

If I had the cash, I too would fly!

Oh, you delicate flower. Try living over here in Norfa Merica where far greater distances need to be traversed.

Put on some good music, find cool local radio stations, subscribe to satellite radio or listen to podcasts. Great opportunity to entertain and inform yourself in those undistracted hours.

In my many years of driving across the great expanse of Canada and the US border states, be it western prairies, BC's Rocky Mountains or Maritime provinces shooting junior hockey prospects, I maintained a list of radio frequencies where I could pick up interesting content, be it American Public Radio, WFAN (Sports radio 66, Neeewww Yorrrrk!), Canadian Broadcasting Corp.(CBC), or semi-sloshed conversations with hockey fans in post-game shows from the Molson Canadian/Labatts Blue room from prairie hockey barns in Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat or Saskatoon.

WFAN in New York livened up many a long winter night's drive, especially through predominantly French Quebec. It broadcasts at 660 on the AM dial, a clear channel with no other station on that frequency, so you could pick it up on many nights across half the continent. The overnight host, Steve Somers ("me here, you there, schmooozing a little S-P-O-R-T-S.") could banter with the best of them.

CBC's weekend music shows out west turned me on to a lot of cool alternative country and western artists. Robbie Fulks remains a favourite.

And American Public Radio's weekly satire show, Prairie Home Companion, was warm, witty and good natured. Taught me a lot about my neighbours.

The UEFA rules do take a bit of getting used to.

Take Phillips. We buy him at 18 and he can't go on List B until he has completed 2 years with the club. Not a problem last year as we didn't have UEFA football, but in his second season he would have had to be registered on List A. He's only 19 now. By next season he'll be a free-pick U21 List B player and when he turns 21 he'll be a club trained List A player.

The same logic applies to Gray and Bergval who are the same age. They have to spend 2 years on List A, perhaps another year on List B as an U21 before being the club trained List A players. Whereas Lankshear and Moore will only ever be List B players until they progress to 21 when they can become club trained.

If all these young guys succeed, I guess we'll end up with loads of club trained eventually.

The UEFA rules do take a bit of getting used to.

Take Phillips. We buy him at 18 and he can't go on List B until he has completed 2 years with the club. Not a problem last year as we didn't have UEFA football, but in his second season he would have had to be registered on List A. He's only 19 now. By next season he'll be a free-pick U21 List B player and when he turns 21 he'll be a club trained List A player.

The same logic applies to Gray and Bergval who are the same age. They have to spend 2 years on List A, perhaps another year on List B as an U21 before being the club trained List A players. Whereas Lankshear and Moore will only ever be List B players until they progress to 21 when they can become club trained.

If all these young guys succeed, I guess we'll end up with loads of club trained eventually.

Phillips would have spent a lot of time on loan. Would he still qualify?

Phillips would have spent a lot of time on loan. Would he still qualify?

Yeah, I believe so. I think it is about whether you are registered with our club, even if you are on loan. I get the feeling you need to be playing in the English pyramid though. That is why Devine isn't a problem. He's already got his 3 seasons and can head abroad. It's probably why I've heard Sarr will never be locally trained because he was in Ligue 1 in France. Vuskovic will be another to watch.

Below is the detail from this website - https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regula...League-2024/25/Article-31-Player-lists-Online

A "locally trained player" is either a "club-trained player" or an "association-trained player".

A "club-trained player" is a player who, between the ages of 15 (or the start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of the player's nationality and age, has been registered with the player's current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant national championship) or of 36 months. In the context of this paragraph, the season immediately preceding a player’s 15th birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is after the last match of the relevant national championship but before or on 30 June (winter championships) or 31 December (summer championships), and the season immediately following the player's 21st birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

An "association-trained player" is a player who, between the ages of 15 (or the start of the season during which the player turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which the player turns 21), and irrespective of the player's nationality and age, has been registered with a club or with other clubs affiliated to the same association as that of the player's current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship and ending with the last official match of that relevant national championship) or of 36 months. In the context of this paragraph, the season immediately preceding a player’s 15th birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is after the last match of the relevant national championship but before or on 30 June (winter championships) or 31 December (summer championships), and the season immediately following the player's 21st birthday may be counted if the player's birthday is on or after 1 July (winter championships) or 1 January (summer championships) but before the first match of the relevant national championship.

Oh, you delicate flower. Try living over here in Norfa Merica where far greater distances need to be traversed.

Put on some good music, find cool local radio stations, subscribe to satellite radio or listen to podcasts. Great opportunity to entertain and inform yourself in those undistracted hours.

In my many years of driving across the great expanse of Canada and the US border states, be it western prairies, BC's Rocky Mountains or Maritime provinces shooting junior hockey prospects, I maintained a list of radio frequencies where I could pick up interesting content, be it American Public Radio, WFAN (Sports radio 66, Neeewww Yorrrrk!), Canadian Broadcasting Corp.(CBC), or semi-sloshed conversations with hockey fans in post-game shows from the Molson Canadian/Labatts Blue room from prairie hockey barns in Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat or Saskatoon.

WFAN in New York livened up many a long winter night's drive, especially through predominantly French Quebec. It broadcasts at 660 on the AM dial, a clear channel with no other station on that frequency, so you could pick it up on many nights across half the continent. The overnight host, Steve Somers ("me here, you there, schmooozing a little S-P-O-R-T-S.") could banter with the best of them.

CBC's weekend music shows out west turned me on to a lot of cool alternative country and western artists. Robbie Fulks remains a favourite.

And American Public Radio's weekly satire show, Prairie Home Companion, was warm, witty and good natured. Taught me a lot about my neighbours.

Hahahaha .. having done both, driving in the UK is much more of a mare, brick roads, no strait line to anywhere, traffic everywhere, all day, every day

US once you get out of city (I've done the NYC/Toronto drive a few times), roads less crowded, cars bigger/more comfortable, just a bit easier and Sirius so you don't have to keep switching stations

Check out Radio Garden app. Let’s you travel the globe by radio stations.

It had liscencing issues in the UK last time I tried there but seems to work from Spain.

I bet you drive at a more consistent speed when travelling, over here on any motorway your speed will change frequently from 5 to 70 mph but you do get the chance to look for any maintenance workers in the cone zones.

Talking of travel... sometimes footballers get criticised for flying around the UK.
But yesterday I drove to Liverpool. For 4.5 hours.
And today I drove home from Liverpool for 3.5 hours.
I did not play a game of football.
It is BOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRING and tiring driving around the UK. So, so boring and tiring.

If I had the cash, I too would fly!
Trains are brick and expensive as well. Hopefully that will change under our new government though.

Back