• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Out of the current players we currently own ( not saying they will be here next season ) we can easy put out a good team and still rest our starters.

-----------Cudicini----------------

Naughton--Dawson--Caulker--Rose

------Livermore Thudd -----------

---Dos Santos--Kranjcar--Pienaar--

-----------Saha-------------------

That team should be able to do pretty well and it rests all our starters.

I would alter this team based on who we might be playing. But the plus side is that it keeps them all match fit and ready to slip into the first team if they are impressing or if an injury occurs..

Europa League is very much what you make of it. Last season, we had a plan which was to blood the youngsters, give the fringe players shop window time, and focus on the league. And maybe it paid off.... Livermore went on to be a useful member of the squad, some of those fringe players got shipped out... And it all coincided with a fabulous spell in the league. Don't think we must have done badly out of those Sunday fixtures up to December? If we do the same again, fair enough because it did us no harm whatsoever last season.

On the other hand, maybe we learnt a lesson..... Maybe the league isn't worth all that effort? I mean, after this season, should we be putting our eggs in one basket, or should we push for glory on different fronts? That's a question for Levy, Redknapp and the squad by the way, and unless they have a change of heart a lot of fans - including myself - will be disappointed. Redknapp sticking "loyally" with Cudicini for the FA Cup semi final tells the story of what would happen if we got to the closing stages of the Europa.

Such a shame, because if the also rans from England like us, Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine all put in the fight for this completion in the same way as the Spanish clubs did then it would become something which is prestigious, and the battle for top 7 and BOTH cups would become as fierce as the current battle for top 4. That impacts not just on teams like Everton and Fulham, who knowing they could finish as low as 7th and get a place in a European competition worth winning, it also affects every club in the domestic cups. Surely a win-win situation if ever there was one?

Europa League is very much what you make of it. Last season, we had a plan which was to blood the youngsters, give the fringe players shop window time, and focus on the league. And maybe it paid off.... Livermore went on to be a useful member of the squad, some of those fringe players got shipped out... And it all coincided with a fabulous spell in the league. Don't think we must have done badly out of those Sunday fixtures up to December? If we do the same again, fair enough because it did us no harm whatsoever last season.

On the other hand, maybe we learnt a lesson..... Maybe the league isn't worth all that effort? I mean, after this season, should we be putting our eggs in one basket, or should we push for glory on different fronts? That's a question for Levy, Redknapp and the squad by the way, and unless they have a change of heart a lot of fans - including myself - will be disappointed. Redknapp sticking "loyally" with Cudicini for the FA Cup semi final tells the story of what would happen if we got to the closing stages of the Europa.

Such a shame, because if the also rans from England like us, Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine all put in the fight for this completion in the same way as the Spanish clubs did then it would become something which is prestigious, and the battle for top 7 and BOTH cups would become as fierce as the current battle for top 4. That impacts not just on teams like Everton and Fulham, who knowing they could finish as low as 7th and get a place in a European competition worth winning, it also affects every club in the domestic cups. Surely a win-win situation if ever there was one?

Which would increase the tv interest in it, which would increase the prize money, which in turn would increase the teams wanting to participate.

I wish I could believe that would be the case. I really do. But European football is so horribly slanted towards the Champions League - media coverage and money, primarily - that I just don't think the prestige will be there until UEFA itself chnages its outlook. Bloody shame, because there have been some fantastic trips, and some very memorable games we've played in the UEFA Cup/Europa League in the past few seasons, but the non-effort of last season will, I suspect, be more the norm. Maybe it happens to be a very English thing? With the money swilling around in the Premier League alone, do clubs really bother that much with the Europa?

Meh. I'll still go. Three (hopefully) decent away trips on the cards between September and December!

We could easily have qualified from the group stage this season even with our back up players,
we were unlucky that we picked up many injuries and had to carry too many youth players.
Tom Huddlestone alone would maybe have been enough to carry us through it.

It's not completely true that there's no money in the Europa League.
For a club like Tottenham, we aren't only depending on prize money.
There's also match day income, sponsorship deals and I believe you sell your own games in Europa League.
Another factor to add when comparing Champions League towards Europa League,
is how the players took most of the CL money themselves in bonuses, that won't happen to the same scale in EL.
Was it 40-50% bonus from their normal wages the players got after our CL year?
Levy have been angry on his managers before when we haven't had cup runs,
not that much prize money in the FA and League Cup neither - match day income however ..

Bit sad we talk about the financial part of competitions though,
how about we try to win for glory? We're after all the glory team.
Did you see how the spanish wanted it this year?
That's what football should be all about!

i'd much rather we fielded slightly stronger line ups than making wholesale changes and make sure we qualify with 2 games to go. then we can put the kids out.

we were a bit unlucky (for a change) in that we ended up in a 3 team group last year and that meant 1 poor result put us out. since there's been groups in the europa league hardly any team has ended up losing all 6 games.

Its no difference, just another myth used to devalue our interest, the other one is you have to play FAR more games to win it.

Not a Myth, after the group stages there is an extra round in the Europa compared to the Champions League. In the Business end of the season that could mean playing 3 games in 7 days twice. Pretty exhausting.

Though that only makes that much of a difference if your still in the domestic cups..

Not a Myth, after the group stages there is an extra round in the Europa compared to the Champions League. In the Business end of the season that could mean playing 3 games in 7 days twice. Pretty exhausting.

Though that only makes that much of a difference if your still in the domestic cups..

At most it means two more games and that is if you have to qualify, i think that next season it will be the same as the Champs Lge.

There is one more round in the knockout stages, but as we're directly qualified for the group stage the amount of games will be exactly the same as in the CL.

I remember in 2005 when we were back in Europe and the excitement on this board for being back there. Our goals have shifted and we've brick our beds a little to progress but goddamn it we're still in the top 5. That's a big accomplishment in the EPL with the money being thrown around.

We can only win what's in front of us - it would be embarrassing to do anything less than try. If tinkling away the Europa tourney is a good plan to 'try' for 4th, then I find that shameful.

Looking at the prize money figures, playing the kids and going out in the groups would get us 4-5m from UEFA. Getting knocked out in the Semi Finals would get us around 2m on top of that.

Looking at the prize money figures, playing the kids and going out in the groups would get us 4-5m from UEFA. Getting knocked out in the Semi Finals would get us around 2m on top of that.

Home match day income, ?ú1.5m per game?
Home game TV sale, 500k per game?
Investec sponsorship increase?
Very little of the income given to the players compared to Champions League where they take most of it.

I don't care if all we get is a 2 for 1 voucher at the pancake parlour, I want a trophy and the celebratory tinkle up that goes with that. If I cared about my clubs bank balance, I'd support a team in blue.

Home match day income, ?ú1.5m per game?
Home game TV sale, 500k per game?
Investec sponsorship increase?
Very little of the income given to the players compared to Champions League where they take most of it.

Fair enough that would be 9.5-10.5m from the groups and another 6m to get to the semi final.

The TV rights are centralised through Uefa. Its included in the TV Market pool portion of the prize money.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Liverpool and ourselves will be sharing out 9-10m. If Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Liverpool somehow don't make it into the Groups we'd get the lot.

Here are some of the teams who would be competing in next year's competition (starting at different qualification stages of course)

- FC Internazionale Milano
- FC Liverpool
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine Utd
- SS Lazio
- Napoli SSC
- VfB Stuttgart
- Bayer Leverkusen
- Hannover 96
- Atletico Madrid
- Athletic Bilbao
- Sporting CP
- Besiktas

I sincerely hope Arry takes it a little more seriously next season and most importanlty - so do our players (looking at you, BAE).

Back