• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Its about the money more than anything.
Last season Partizan Belgrade got in the Champion's League groups and lost all 6 games scoring 2 goals. They earned more prize money than Porto the Winner of Europa League, who went 17 games unbeaten in Europe.
Where's the fudging justice in that.

As top seeds we won't have any chance of a proper good tie unless we manage to get Bilbao/Napoli from pot 2 in the group stage. Personally, I would prefer us to get 3 teams from places really nearby so AZ, Dundee United and Rosenberg would be a perfect type of group to allow us at the very least have minimal travel.

The Europa league is a decent competition in itself, but the problem with it is the Thursday nights. Which is a bloody joke, as it can't be beyond the wisdom of UEFA to schedule it on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in weeks where there is no Champions league. But the way it is currently set up makes it a real poisoned chalice, as it can so easily screw up your league form on the Sundays after, as we have seen in the past. Have a read of this:

http://kenmcdermott.blogspot.com/2012/05/curse-of-europa-league-cup.html

The Europa league is a decent competition in itself, but the problem with it is the Thursday nights. Which is a bloody joke, as it can't be beyond the wisdom of UEFA to schedule it on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in weeks where there is no Champions league. But the way it is currently set up makes it a real poisoned chalice, as it can so easily screw up your league form on the Sundays after, as we have seen in the past. Have a read of this:

http://kenmcdermott.blogspot.com/2012/05/curse-of-europa-league-cup.html

How is 2 day gap from Thursday-Sunday any different to Wednesday-Saturday or Saturday-Tuesday?

As top seeds we won't have any chance of a proper good tie unless we manage to get Bilbao/Napoli from pot 2 in the group stage. Personally, I would prefer us to get 3 teams from places really nearby so AZ, Dundee United and Rosenberg would be a perfect type of group to allow us at the very least have minimal travel.

This could actually be a really strong competition next season. Looking at the pots on Bert Kassies site would could feasibly have a group of Tottenham,Athletic Bilbao,Lazio and Malaga
and thats just with half of the possible combinations showing

How is 2 day gap from Thursday-Sunday any different to Wednesday-Saturday or Saturday-Tuesday?

If you play away in the Champs League on a Wednesday, you are given a three-day break, as you always play your next game at the earliest on the Sunday. If you play away in the Europa League on the Thursday, you will also play your next game (at the earliest) on the Sunday. That's the difference, and there is statistical evidence that it hurts your form.

Go flat out to win every competition......... We have won 2 league cups in 21 years so WTF.

If you play away in the Champs League on a Wednesday, you are given a three-day break, as you always play your next game at the earliest on the Sunday. If you play away in the Europa League on the Thursday, you will also play your next game (at the earliest) on the Sunday. That's the difference, and there is statistical evidence that it hurts your form.

I don't think that's strictly true, is it?

Didn't Arsene have a whinge about having to play at 1200 on the saturday straight after a wednesday away game?

Go flat out to win every competition......... We have won 2 league cups in 21 years so WTF.

Out of the current players we currently own ( not saying they will be here next season ) we can easy put out a good team and still rest our starters.

-----------Cudicini----------------

Naughton--Dawson--Caulker--Rose

------Livermore Thudd -----------

---Dos Santos--Kranjcar--Pienaar--

-----------Saha-------------------

That team should be able to do pretty well and it rests all our starters.

I dont mind football on thursdays. Thursdays is a nothing day for me so to have some football would be good.

I wish ofcourse that we were playing on tuesdays/wednesdays i.e. in CL.

Well, i had a great week with 'er indoors in Cyprus when we played Famagusta so I need TP for my bunghole. Prague, Braga and Leverkusen were good as well....

Back