• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Round of 32: Lyon (FRA), Round of 16: Winner of Inter - C

nice one

i haven't watched the game back but apparently you could see me a few times in the crowd 8)

going 2 up could have possibly been my favorite Spurs supporting moment

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Round of 32: Lyon (FRA), Round of 16: Winner of Inter - C

Decent draw for Spurs.

I think once we dispose of Lyon, we shouldn't have too much to fear from either Inter or Cluj.

Our previous matches with Lyon in the 1967-68 European Cup Winners' Cup ended 4-4 on aggregate with Lyon progressing on away goals...

Tottenham Hotspur in Europe 1961-62 to 2012-13

Last edited:

I had a quick look on the main Lyon forum and my rusty French tells me that, along with Atletico, Napoli and Inter, we were one of the clubs that they wanted to avoid.

They were more than a tad miffed when, as the draw progressed, it became clear that their only choices were us and Napoli. Even more miffed when it transpired that Inter would be the likely opponent if they beat us.

Some of them even seem to think that they have little chance of getting past us. Just goes to show that they're at least as respectful and wary of us as we are of them.

And, of course, they're all looking forward to seeing Hugo back at the Stade Gerland.

P.S. I hope that the club allow the 1882 group to take over a couple of blocks for this game.

Our previous matches with Lyon in the 1967-68 European Cup Winners' Cup ended 4-4 on aggregate with Lyon progressing on away goals...

let's not forget our victory over them in the Peace Cup ;)

Decent draw for Spurs.

I think once we dispose of Lyon, we shouldn't have too much to fear from either Inter or Cluj.

Tottenham Hotspur in Europe 1961-62 to 2012-13

I remember watching the return leg of that on TV - which was a bit of a treat in those days - going out wasn't though.

We had a ridiculous injury list at the time IIRC, and stand in players like Derek Bond were drafted in. Not that I'm blaming him, for all I know he played well, just that overall we had a very weakened team and it killed us.

let's not forget our victory over them in the Peace Cup ;)

Indeed, I watched that on TV too, with much happier memories :)

IIRC it was the prelude to our 05/6 campaign and you could see what a force we threatened to be that year - we looked really sharp in that game.

Last edited:

I remember watching the return leg of that on TV - which was a bit of a treat in those days - going out wasn't though.

We had a ridiculous injury list at the time IIRC, and stand in players like Derek Bond were drafted in. Not that I'm blaming him, for all I know he played well, just that overall we had a very weakened team and it killed us.

Yes, our attack performed well (two goals from Jimmy Greaves and goals from Alan Gilzean & Cliff Jones) but our defence let us down badly that night at the Lane, conceding three.

Hoy and Bond were simply not good enough replacements for the injured England & Mullery.

Anyone looking to travel, flights are quite expensive already, however a return on the eurostar/french rail works out to about 150 quid

I'm relieved that don't have to play one of these Cossack teams in February. Oympique Lyonnais is certainly a good draw for us.

When do these games a) go on sale and b) get played?

Europa League - Round of 32
Tottenham v Lyon Thu 14 Feb 20:05

Europa League - Round of 32
Lyon v Tottenham Thu 21 Feb 18:00

When do these games a) go on sale and b) get played?

1st Leg (Spurs home) Thursday 14th Feb 2013

2nd Leg (Lyon home) Thursday 21st Feb 2013

Valentines day sorted then

so, without getting too far ahead of ourselves - do we know the order in which the next rounds two legs will be played ? (home/away - away/home)

so, without getting too far ahead of ourselves - do we know the order in which the next rounds two legs will be played ? (home/away - away/home)

I'm pretty sure that if Spurs progress, we'll be at home first to Inter or Cluj.

After that, there will be a new draw for the Quarter Finals.

no chance id have thought mate, probably be more people without tickets in Lyon than with

Bit of excitement in the Europa again! Although sadly, I won't be going to the away leg. Gutted. Too close to delivery date for Number 2! Which also means - gonad*s - that I'll be missing the away leg of the next round if we do dispose of Lyon. Sigh.

Back