• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Done a long weekend in Brugge last year absolutely beautiful city done a day trip to Brussels while there- Dump. Brugge for football would be amazing

could get kazan and paok again :cry:

We could get Shamrock Rovers too if they lose in the 3rd or 4th CL qualifying rounds. Other teams we could be reunited with: Hearts, Twente and Young Boys.

TBF, there are over 200 teams that could be in the EL group stage and several of the qualifying places from the lower ranked countries are still to be decided. Even teams that appear to have qualified (eg AEK Athens) could yet be changed due to difficulties in obtaining the necessary UEFA licence.

Last edited:
Really excited about this year's European campaign - most of the sides here would be better away trips than the Champions League group stages anyway.

If we get Bilbao then I would love to go there.
Fantastic support and city.

Inter Milan would be a special game.

Hope not! No way would i go back to Kazan-cost me a fortune.
PAOK was good-bloody roasting,but no one turned up(we had more in Kazan)

Respect to you, that's hardcore. Should've gotten 100 loyalty points for doing Kazan :)

how long we got to wait until the group stages ?

lol

Don't worry, only have to wait till Sept 20th!

I really hope the draws give us some glamour ties this time. I think even if we had scraped through from the group last season we would have drawn Metalist Kharkiv and then someone else not so great in the last 32 and 16 rounds IIRC.

First time in years we don't have European qualifiers clogging up our early season games. That has to be a good thing.

I actually quite like the EL, its just the media being so derogatory towards it and playing on Thursdays that annoys me.

Why cant it alternate so that when the CL isn't on that week the EL is, that way there would be football on constantly and it would mean not so many sunday league games.

Other thing is the finances, tv rights could be sold centrally for uefa competition or have some better distribution model.

I actually quite like the EL, its just the media being so derogatory towards it and playing on Thursdays that annoys me.

Why cant it alternate so that when the CL isn't on that week the EL is, that way there would be football on constantly and it would mean not so many sunday league games.

Other thing is the finances, tv rights could be sold centrally for uefa competition or have some better distribution model.

Could still have them in the same week. Europa League Tuesday nights; CL Wednesday nights.

But then they wouldnt get the tv money they do now for being able to show games on 2 different nights. I know thats not how it should be but thats the way things are now.

should just go back old style 6 rounds home and away straight knock out. who the fudge decided it was a good idea to have group stages ? there just aren't enough good or attractive teams in europe to justify it

should just go back old style 6 rounds home and away straight knock out. who the fudge decided it was a good idea to have group stages ? there just aren't enough good or attractive teams in europe to justify it

that's the modern game for ya - even in the champions league the big boys see the group stage as an inconvenience more than anything (id of thought) plus this way limits the chances of a minnow getting very far

but at least in the CL there's the money aspect for justifying for the most part a lot of meaningless rubbish before xmas. in the europa league the cash involved is minimal by comparison

The extra matches are designed to give the 'minnows' a few matches in the competition, which I think is a good thing really.

The extra matches are designed to give the 'minnows' a few matches in the competition, which I think is a good thing really.
i think that's a bye product of more matches = more money, rather than the intention. i guess it's a good thing that the smaller clubs can get to play a few of the big teams and get some more money - but if it was a straight knock out i think it'd make the competition a lot more exciting.

Back