• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

He's getting better and better. Still early days in his Spurs career and it is a big step-up from playing for Fulham. I think he's starting to integrate well with his team-mates and they're starting to learn how to play him into the dangerous pockets of space he loves operating in also.

He isn't as technically gifted as VDV but he has a better engine on him and he's a physical and ariel threat.

I hope he continues his upward curve and starts being the close to 1 in 2 goal threat he was for Fulham.

Clint dempsey isnt a creative player though.

am i missing something outside of a couple of games where he has put in a few really good passes? Cause over the course of his career in the prem he has consistently been the receiver and not the provider.

and he has never really been a back to goal striker kind of player...always been facing the opp. thats always been his strength from day one

not uncommon for the good players to alter their style to suit the manager/team/their age... so long as their remain as influential in the game.

Indeed...as you will have noted, I have always seen the lad's merits and defended him in the face of some bitter criticism (for him, not me!!!)...glad people are finally seeing who he is and what he can offer...

You did stick by him but being completely honest even you have to say he was a big fat stinking piece of turd up until West Ham.

not uncommon for the good players to alter their style to suit the manager/team/their age... so long as their remain as influential in the game.

agree with this totally, but the idea that AVB has unlocked something in dempsey...i dont believe that. he was just on bad form. when he was playing as the striker more forward with this back to goal..that was actually something i dont believe he did often...he was more behind the front man or coming in from th wide positions as a shadow forward

what he is doing now is actually what we bought...supporting the forward...though i have to say even i didnt think he had any sort of those passes in him. to be honest i still dont think he does...the pass to defoe aside .....i dont think he has the consistent ability to perform slide rule passes. i wouldnt want him to have that as a main focus..personally i would prefer if he mimiced lampard in the timming of his runs and gets in the box alot to fupport the forwards

however if he is going to be the guy on the left of our wonky..that means he may have to up his creativity powers anyway...so i guess me saying i'd rather him in the box is null and void

This is a classic case of why you must give players time to settle in to a new team, if Dempsey had not been a strong character he might have let all the moans and groans everytime he did something wrong affect him and we may never have seen the best of him but instead he worked at his game and won most of fans over.

Not every player is going to hit the ground running, how many wanted rid of Bale? Hopefully Sigurdsson can get some confidence and shut a few 'fans' up.

What happens to him if we ever do get moutinho ? Back up to Ade and Defoe ?? I think he's a very useful and clever player.

This is a classic case of why you must give players time to settle in to a new team, if Dempsey had not been a strong character he might have let all the moans and groans everytime he did something wrong affect him and we may never have seen the best of him but instead he worked at his game and won most of fans over.

Not every player is going to hit the ground running, how many wanted rid of Bale? Hopefully Sigurdsson can get some confidence and shut a few 'fans' up.

=D>

if we get Moutinho then great, Dempsey will still get loads of game time. He proved at Fulham he was a 'top 4' player, now he's proving it all over again. There'll be times when he plays instead of Ade or Defoe, there'll be times when he'll play alongside the pair of them.

I don't think we'll get Moutinho in January anyway, so for me the question doesn't arise. May be wrong of course.

Well said PB. I remember some of our 'fans' turning on Pienaar, who promptly went back to Everton and showed he's still a good player.

You did stick by him but being completely honest even you have to say he was a big fat stinking piece of turd up until West Ham.

He was not amazing but he was working hard and never ever hid, a KEY thing for me with any player. And no, he was not a 'big fat stinking piece of turd'...

Oh, come on... I've seen that the guy can play good football also, but he was still brick in a lot of games earlier this year.

Cannot remember if you were as quick to say that when the multitudes were rabidly overreacting to the stunning realization that Clint Dempsey was not Rafael van Der Vaart...

He was not amazing but he was working hard and never ever hid, a KEY thing for me with any player. And no, he was not a 'big fat stinking piece of turd'...

Come on Steff admit it. He was. Even Dempsey will admit it. Hell, even AVB will admit it

Come on Steff admit it. He was. Even Dempsey will admit it. Hell, even AVB will admit it

Diego.
I did not say he was playing like Messi, and I am not stupid enough to see that he was struggling for form, but I don't think he was total brick. Why should I admit something to pander to people? I have seen brick in our shirt, and Dempsey never ever ever hit the lows of useless fudging tarts like Andy Gray! I'll tell you this; if Dempsey was as 'brick' as you say, then I'll take that sort of 'brick' because it won us two games!!!!]
Boot on the other foot, why can't you admit that your impatience and refusal to accept that Clint Dempsey is not an anagram of Rafa Van der Vaart hindered your overall view of him?!!!!
:lol:

Diego.
I did not say he was playing like Messi, and I am not stupid enough to see that he was struggling for form, but I don't think he was total brick. Why should I admit something to pander to people? I have seen brick in our shirt, and Dempsey never ever ever hit the lows of useless fudging tarts like Andy Gray! I'll tell you this; if Dempsey was as 'brick' as you say, then I'll take that sort of 'brick' because it won us two games!!!!]
Boot on the other foot, why can't you admit that your impatience and refusal to accept that Clint Dempsey is not an anagram of Rafa Van der Vaart hindered your overall view of him?!!!!

I'll happily admit that I didn't think it would happen for him. I guess I am guilty of short term ism. But he was woefully bad. Moves would break down and he just didn't look like he could play. Glad he is starting to turn it around though

Good point about winning the two games Steff- even in his bad period Clint scored one of the most iconic goals in our Prem history- our first winner at OT

he also did the same at St marys - both massive goals, but the Utd one an absolutely historic one

I'll happily admit that I didn't think it would happen for him. I guess I am guilty of short term ism. But he was woefully bad. Moves would break down and he just didn't look like he could play. Glad he is starting to turn it around though

All good mate, look at this way, I have grave feelings that Sig does not have the mentality for us but I have begged to be proven wrong, and to be for to him, he is showing signs of doing so in the last couple of weeks. He is such a confidence player. With Dempsey, I wonder if when the going gets tough he uses criticism and abuse to fuel his general 'apparent grumpiness' at the universe!!!

Good point about winning the two games Steff- even in his bad period Clint scored one of the most iconic goals in our Prem history- our first winner at OT

he also did the same at St marys - both massive goals, but the Utd one an absolutely historic one

Each goal was essentially a tap in, but each goal required someone to make the effort to be there, something our in-form players have failed to do repeatedly the last few years, let alone one fighting to find some!

Well said PB. I remember some of our 'fans' turning on Pienaar, who promptly went back to Everton and showed he's still a good player.

An absolutely classic case of mis-management.
Oh the job he could've done for us last season in those wilderness months...

Each goal was essentially a tap in, but each goal required someone to make the effort to be there, something our in-form players have failed to do repeatedly the last few years, let alone one fighting to find some!

Tap ins or not makes no difference as you know Steff, they were both massive, one is utterly ionic.

I've taken my user name from our greatest goalscorer, whose 357 goals is an all-time top flight record that will almost certainly never be beaten (something like 90 more than Shearer's total, for example)

Many of Jim's goals were tap ins and he used to say he loved them just as much as the spectaculars -to qoute the great man 'all goals are good goals'

Goals like the one Clint scored at OT are massive goals, goals of destiny and history.

Tap ins or not makes no difference as you know Steff, they were both massive, one is utterly ionic.

I've taken my user name from our greatest goalscorer, whose 357 goals is an all-time top flight record that will almost certainly never be beaten (something like 90 more than Shearer's total, for example)

Many of Jim's goals were tap ins and he used to say he loved them just as much as the spectaculars -to qoute the great man 'all goals are good goals'

Goals like the one Clint scored at OT are massive goals, goals of destiny and history.

=D>=D>=D>

Frankly, if we'd had just two goals like that last season (from the many many chances created) we'd have been third at least...

Back