• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Covid outbreak at Spurs

I have a friend who had it 2 months ago, and he still doesn't have any energy. He was fully vaccinated about 2 months before he got it, And he is as fit as one gets. Runs marathon sub 3 hours, does triathlon, hill climb running etc. He still has no taste or smell. Was not admitted to hospital, just had it like a flu. I think there must be something genetic that causes some people to get really sick, and other not even knowing that they've had it. Really strange.
The people I know with long covid are two extreme fit as a fiddle or fat and no activity types

Not gloating or anything, but I said before the weekend, that there would be serious consequences if the UK government would continue to ignore the new wave of Covid infections, and everyone else played it down and said I overreacted....
I don't think this has anything to do with the UK government's stance on Covid. It is more about what individual clubs do. If I were running the club, I would have very strict guidelines regarding vaccination and masking and extend them to outside the pitch/training ground for the players and the staff. And I would test the bejeepers out of them every day. When you come to training, you come 20 mins early and do an antigen test. At the end of training, you do an antigen test. Every fudging day. You do anything indoors? You wear a mask. And not just any mask: a properly fitted N95 one.

On the pitch when there is a stoppage, you keep your distance from the ref and other players. I'm appalled when I see players talking to the ref or opposition players within inches of their faces. I would even explore the possibility of having them play wearing high quality sports masks. Apparently, after an initial adjustment period, which could be when they're training, there's no appreciable impact on performance. Basically, I would make damn sure they didn't even catch a sniffle.

But unfortunately people think that, because they're vaccinated, all of a sudden we have beaten the virus. The only way to beat the virus is to stop its spread. Vaccines alone are not enough. You need to mask, mask, mask. Don't let others breath your air and don't breath others' air. If the entire planet did that for a few weeks, this thing would be over.

How about "Clubs advised to get all their players fudging VACCINATED!" But no, we'd hurt feelings and trample on "freedoms."

It's really strange. If a team was going to play in a tournament in a country were malaria was prevalent, for example, they'd be castigated by everyone if they didn't give their players a malaria shot beforehand. But when it comes to Covid, everyone's pussyfooting around. Ffs.

How about "Clubs advised to get all their players fudging VACCINATED!" But no, we'd hurt feelings and trample on "freedoms."

It's really strange. If a team was going to play in a tournament in a country were malaria was prevalent, for example, they'd be castigated by everyone if they didn't give their players a malaria shot beforehand. But when it comes to Covid, everyone's pussyfooting around. Ffs.

They wouldn’t as there’s no such thing as a Malaria shot…;) (partly teasing there)

Wouldn’t worry though, statistically it’s pretty much zero that a PL player would be very unwell from covid. Our biggest risk is prob that they put on weight while at home.

They wouldn’t as there’s no such thing as a Malaria shot…;) (partly teasing there)

Wouldn’t worry though, statistically it’s pretty much zero that a PL player would be very unwell from covid. Our biggest risk is prob that they put on weight while at home.
Joshua Kimmich says high….
Well he can’t actually as he is too unwell

Joshua Kimmich says high….
Well he can’t actually as he is too unwell

Yesterday he said he feels fine but it may take 3 weeks to get back to full fitness.

We have players out for longer than that from kicking a football.

Yesterday he said he feels fine but it may take 3 weeks to get back to full fitness.

He ain’t playing till February from what I’ve heard
That’s from being ill in November
This virus hits everyone different
You can’t gamble like that on health surely

There's a difference, though. One is preventable. The other is something that's part of the game.

I don't think this has anything to do with the UK government's stance on Covid. It is more about what individual clubs do. If I were running the club, I would have very strict guidelines regarding vaccination and masking and extend them to outside the pitch/training ground for the players and the staff. And I would test the bejeepers out of them every day. When you come to training, you come 20 mins early and do an antigen test. At the end of training, you do an antigen test. Every fudging day. You do anything indoors? You wear a mask. And not just any mask: a properly fitted N95 one.

On the pitch when there is a stoppage, you keep your distance from the ref and other players. I'm appalled when I see players talking to the ref or opposition players within inches of their faces. I would even explore the possibility of having them play wearing high quality sports masks. Apparently, after an initial adjustment period, which could be when they're training, there's no appreciable impact on performance. Basically, I would make damn sure they didn't even catch a sniffle.

But unfortunately people think that, because they're vaccinated, all of a sudden we have beaten the virus. The only way to beat the virus is to stop its spread. Vaccines alone are not enough. You need to mask, mask, mask. Don't let others breath your air and don't breath others' air. If the entire planet did that for a few weeks, this thing would be over.

The oslo xmas party. 120 invites. All double vaxxed. All took lateral flow tests the day before. 70 got infected. All mild or no symptoms.

Is there any games in germany during January? Winter shut down, maybe that's why he isn't playing until February.

I agree, did several reasons.

Something can have a very low probability of happening, but with a rising number of cases it becomes more and more likely. Its not likely at all that one of our players gets seriously ill, but there's a risk and that should be taken seriously.

In addition to that there's also the impact on the club. We'll see to what extent this outbreak impacts our season, but it won't be trivial. More players, more times this happens, that just increases the impact.

Clubs aren't the ones administering vaccinations and can't force players to get vaccinated. There could be a policy of not playing players who are unvaxxed perhaps and making them train separately - but what manager is going to potentially drop what might be his best players? I have no doubt there is a huge amount of encouragement and education going on but it is not a contractual requirement so it can't be forced. As of middle of October there was just under 70% of PL players double jabbed. That's probably increased by now. Still not high enough but there's nothing to suggest thus far that any of our players who have tested positive are unvaxxed, or if some are, how many. It's likely most of them are asymptomatic and wouldn't even know they had covid if it weren't for the regular testing regime.

Clubs aren't the ones administering vaccinations and can't force players to get vaccinated. There could be a policy of not playing players who are unvaxxed perhaps and making them train separately - but what manager is going to potentially drop what might be his best players? I have no doubt there is a huge amount of encouragement and education going on but it is not a contractual requirement so it can't be forced. As of middle of October there was just under 70% of PL players double jabbed. That's probably increased by now. Still not high enough but there's nothing to suggest thus far that any of our players who have tested positive are unvaxxed, or if some are, how many. It's likely most of them are asymptomatic and wouldn't even know they had covid if it weren't for the regular testing regime.

Excellent addition to the ongoing conversation.

Like you so rightly point out, we have no way of knowing the vaccination status and I think we should be careful when talking about this so it's clear that we're not blaming the individuals involved. Continue to focus on the very much human aspect of what's going on. That's the reason I was happy about the club seemingly calling off the Rennes game before it was officially postponed by UEFA.

To be fair to alekaras I read his comment to be more about the societal response to the pandemic and not necessarily aimed at the club or associations. But I appreciate your clarification and again I think clarity is very important in a conversation like this. This isn't an easy situation for the club to handle and as far as I can see they're doing everything they can and doing it well.

The oslo xmas party. 120 invites. All double vaxxed. All took lateral flow tests the day before. 70 got infected. All mild or no symptoms.

Yet, none of them categorized in the "high-risk category", thus not a very good sample to base your strategy for the whole population on....

The bit that I don’t understand about any player (and person in general) choosing not to be vaccinated is why they would trust the club doctors for any injuries or other medical advice.

Yet, none of them categorized in the "high-risk category", thus not a very good sample to base your strategy for the whole population on....

Alekarus was saying he'd have very strict guidlines to stop players catching it. I'm saying the oslo party they took precautions which didn't stop them catching the virus.

The bit that I don’t understand about any player (and person in general) choosing not to be vaccinated is why they would trust the club doctors for any injuries or other medical advice.

That's the thing though. They are young, healthy and fit. So their risk from covid is very low to begin with. There is also a risk of side effects from the vaccine, including myocarditis. I'm in my 40s slightly overweight, so yes the vaccines benefits out weigh the risks considerably. Also helps protect the people i care about and slows the spread. Easy choice.
If i was a 20 year old professional footballer whose career may depend on it, it would be a lot tougher. Might even wait and see. Especially as 2 footballers collapsed recently with heart problems.

That's the thing though. They are young, healthy and fit. So their risk from covid is very low to begin with. There is also a risk of side effects from the vaccine, including myocarditis. I'm in my 40s slightly overweight, so yes the vaccines benefits out weigh the risks considerably. Also helps protect the people i care about and slows the spread. Easy choice.
If i was a 20 year old professional footballer whose career may depend on it, it would be a lot tougher. Might even wait and see. Especially as 2 footballers collapsed recently with heart problems.

Please don’t try and equate those footballers collapsing with the vaccine without some solid evidence.

Regardless, my point stands: I bet most club doctors would recommend their players get the vaccine, and some players have chosen to disregard that advice. The fact their career depends on their health is even more reason to trust the doctor, and the risk of COVID is greater than the risk of the vaccine for most.

Back