• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

Adapting to the new stadium will be fine I think. It's the new removable pitch system on trays that is an unknown variable

The pitch is a pitch, all said and done. Itll be the least of the worries in adapting.

New environment, new stands, new changing rooms, new noise/atmosphere = all greater factors IMO.

Of course, after Wembley Im hoping it goes relatively smoothly.

But not all those 'lost' ten points would have been down to the move. Other factors also need to be put into the mix, eg adjusting to the loss of Walker and later the injury in November to Aldereiweld, both of whom were a big part of our success last season; plus having to bed in the new arrivals Sanchez and Aurier.

Of course the process of adjusting to Wembley also impacted, especially early season, but all things considered the team has coped surprisingly well with the move.

I think we have coped pretty well with the switch, much to the credit of the team and i would agree you can't lay the blame for the points dropped solely in the move, i don't think you can break things down too much in that respect - probably best to look at the season as a whole and talk in general terms - we've played the season in a temporary stadium and it would have had an effect, how much so you can't really prove either way but i think it's hard to argue it hasn't cost us a few points at least. You can also point to our defense, which for the most part has been missing three of last seasons starters (Rose/Walker/Alderwiereld) and in midfield we have been without Wanyama for quite a bit of the season too - when you look at it overall i think there's been enough upheaval between last season and this to say we're probably a good few points shy of where we should be

The pitch is a pitch, all said and done. Itll be the least of the worries in adapting.

New environment, new stands, new changing rooms, new noise/atmosphere = all greater factors IMO.

Of course, after Wembley Im hoping it goes relatively smoothly.

I agree. I think that there is also something in it taking a while for the players to be familiar with the building so that their subconscious spacial awareness is there.

Usually not. I think 4th place plays in the qualifiers if the Champions League winner hasn't qualified, i.e. if Liverpool win the CL and finish 5th. I'm not certain, though.
4th place will start in the CL group stages (unless they are transferred to the EL as a result of Liverpool and Arsenal winning the CL and EL respectively and both finishing outside the top 4).

The access list shows that the CL winners ("UCL TH") and the 4th place teams ("N4") from the top 4 countries all have automatic entry to the group stage. If the CL winner doesn't need their allocated spot, because they qualify through their domestic league, the champions of the country ranked 11th (currently Czech Republic) will start in the group stage rather than the play-offs.

I do think this this ‘playing away all season thing’ is a bit OTT. Once we’d got the Wembley monkey off our back we were always going to be fine there. Yes it’s not WHL but you can’t claim it to be an away game when you have 80,000 fans cheering you on...

Could not agree more, all the talk about how we may struggle this season by playing at Wembley was well overblown,we have a very good team and we have the ability to win most game no matter where they are played.

well todays Saudi Sportswashing Machine win mathematically confirmed a Top 6 finish as Arsenal still have to play each other.
3pts to confirm 5th
9pts to confirm 4th.

Due to Liverpool's GD 2nd and 3rd are not in our hands, you win think even with the Roma match they will still beat WBA,Stoke and Brighton, so we are hoping for a draw at Chelsea.
Realistically we need 15pts to be in with a shout now, which could even guarantee 2nd as United have the potential to draw a couple out of Arsenal(h) and Brighton,Bournemouth and West Ham(a)

At the end of the day i suppose, one game at a time, we need a favour from Agent Hughton, Tuesday wont be a walk in the park, as Arsenal found out

frankly as long as we get 4th I am not to fused about 2nd. I hope we get the F.A. cup but if we lose the semi as I think we will and we manage to qualify for champs league early. I would give the players who are going to the world cup the last few games off. We need them as rested as possible for pre season and that stupid tournament in russia is doing us no favours.

I think we have coped pretty well with the switch, much to the credit of the team and i would agree you can't lay the blame for the points dropped solely in the move, i don't think you can break things down too much in that respect - probably best to look at the season as a whole and talk in general terms - we've played the season in a temporary stadium and it would have had an effect, how much so you can't really prove either way but i think it's hard to argue it hasn't cost us a few points at least. You can also point to our defense, which for the most part has been missing three of last seasons starters (Rose/Walker/Alderwiereld) and in midfield we have been without Wanyama for quite a bit of the season too - when you look at it overall i think there's been enough upheaval between last season and this to say we're probably a good few points shy of where we should be

I would say that the move and stadium redevelopment has come at the worst possible time for the team in terms of on the pitch. We dropped 4 points at WHL last season. It's a subjective arguement so I can't put a number on it, but I'm fairly confident we would have amassed more points at home this season than we did last season season.

I agree with the defensive unit being the key factor for team's relatively dip compared to last season.

frankly as long as we get 4th I am not to fused about 2nd. I hope we get the F.A. cup but if we lose the semi as I think we will and we manage to qualify for champs league early. I would give the players who are going to the world cup the last few games off. We need them as rested as possible for pre season and that stupid tournament in russia is doing us no favours.

I'd rather win the FA cup and finish 4th than win nothing and get 2nd but I'm not sure how many would agree.

Back