• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Archie Gray

I honestly haven't watched gin at all but have heard a lot of praise. Specifically what are his strengths, how does he play and where does he fit for us role wise. My understanding is he's versatile and possibly covers a number of areas?

I honestly haven't watched gin at all but have heard a lot of praise. Specifically what are his strengths, how does he play and where does he fit for us role wise. My understanding is he's versatile and possibly covers a number of areas?
He has played more games for Leeds as a right-back but his stronger position appears to be in a central defensive midfield role.
His temperament and composure seems well beyond his years. I think he may have even played some games in central defence but may not be remembering that right. He can tackle well and seems to see and execute passes well too. But he's not just about receiving and releasing quickly, he can move up the pitch whilst in possession and is capable when put under pressure.
If we suddenly have a midfield roster that includes him, Bergvall, Donley, Moore & Devine (if they continue developing well) we have serious options of high quality for years in the middle of the pitch

Last edited:

Kimmich is probably the best comparison I can think of.

Or Rice but more progressive. Or Dembele but better defensively.

He basically competes with Bissouma for the #4 role. But he can also do Porro's role. So between those two he should get a lot of game time.

Sorry, I meant more from the academy age lot. They all seem to be CBs, CMs or CFs. Soonsup and Santiago (both missing from that list) as wide forwards. But there seems to be no fullbacks of that calibre in the setup.

There is a young Moroccan boy who plays LB very aggressive and attacking, he has played in attack on left as well, the FB spots have been filled by a lot of players last season, the system mirrors the 1st team, something I've not seen for years with the development teams.

There is a young Moroccan boy who plays LB very aggressive and attacking, he has played in attack on left as well, the FB spots have been filled by a lot of players last season, the system mirrors the 1st team, something I've not seen for years with the development teams.

Well it's more the first team style changed rather than the development teams.

Seems positive.

Would be happy with Gray, Eze and Toney.

Only word of caution is how patient Spurs fans are now. In the shinny stadium fans are entitled. Not there for the camaraderie modern Spurs fans are all about results. With a lot of younger players you need a degree of patience to give players the space to learn from mistakes. How else can they learn?

Still positive strategy buying the best up and coming rather than shopping at tier 2 or 3 of establish players. It’s the way forward, and much more enjoyable for fans too. Provided there is some patience, real support and togetherness.

The frustration at Spurs is we’ve plateaued. The ascent gives a dopamine hit. But for a few years we’ve stopped advancing. Not only can the best of the future generation mature but fans also get to vicariously watch an ascent albeit of individuals. Hopefully also collectively as a side that wins cups. Watching Kane (and Bale) charge forward into ice cold hitman and their ascent to the top was phenomenal. If we see more of that from Gray and others, combined with trophies, Spurs will be a great team again.

Very good young player
Needs to define a role though
When I’ve seen him he is everywhere

That's what they are doing with certain midfield and defenders in the academy, most of the boys who have played in FB position have played in midfield and some in forward roles, it's a thing the Dutch have done for years with their youth players.

That's what they are doing with certain midfield and defenders in the academy, most of the boys who have played in FB position have played in midfield and some in forward roles, it's a thing the Dutch have done for years with their youth players.

Ajax academy get their players to pull shirts blind out of the kit bag before a game, and then they play the position the shirt number dictates.

Best system I ever heard of was a brazil club here when you turn up for training you just take a coin…. The number on tha5 coin corresponds to your position for that training session
You could end up in goal or CF
It means all t(e players understood everyone’s role
The coerver coaching guy nicked it and tried to implement it in Holland IIRC

Watching Toney tonight was interesting. His presence, physicality and hold-up play is impressive. But his pressing was virtually non-existent and no way is he anywhere near mobile enough for an Ange team.
He is more than mobile to play that way
You can’t press on your own or you end up leaving gaps
He was on his own as soon as we went 1 up
England dont press which is a massive issue

Back