• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ange’s system / formation

That couldn't be less Ange. He wants bodies deep in the midfield and attackers up high and stretching the pitch. Wingbacks will have the opposite effect.

Didn't we all just come out of 1.5 laborious seasons of 352/343?
Agreed.

Having had the benefit of a full season playing a style consistently. Having had the benefit of players learning that style. Having had the benefit of figuring out who works in what roles and to what extent making for what hopefully is a solid plan for the summer.

This is not the time to change the system.

I do know that it's possible to change the formation and play the same system. I think we change a bit in and between games looking more 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. We change our pressing plan. But a change to a back 3/5 would almost certainly involve a significant change of both style of play and player roles.

Agreed.

Having had the benefit of a full season playing a style consistently. Having had the benefit of players learning that style. Having had the benefit of figuring out who works in what roles and to what extent making for what hopefully is a solid plan for the summer.

This is not the time to change the system.

I do know that it's possible to change the formation and play the same system. I think we change a bit in and between games looking more 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. We change our pressing plan. But a change to a back 3/5 would almost certainly involve a significant change of both style of play and player roles.

I also think this season, Ange made short term tradeoffs for a long term perspective

To me, more game time for PEH & Lo Celso, less game time for Deki, VDV at LB earlier were all things that I think would have probably netted us a few more points. But some of those players clearly had no long term future with us vs. others .. was it the right call? next season will answer that.

I wasnt too impressed wuth angeball in year 1. Was good until the Chelsea game and we were poor after christmas.

Its alright to want to play attacking football but a good defence is needed if winning things is important. I think defending set pieces was poor, also defending the far post in open play is weak.

for all the attacking we committed to, the injuries kept piling up, indicating some failures in the broader support system - either fitness or rotation was lacking.

Then towards the end our attack was slow and labourious, opting to allow the opponents defence to organize themselves instead of taking more risks with fast ditect football.

But its year 1 and i will cut ange some slack.i wont be as forgiving in year 2. I think a key measure would be a significant improvement in goal differrence next season

Objectively, there is no evidence that angeball can succeed at the PL and CL level.

I wasnt too impressed wuth angeball in year 1. Was good until the Chelsea game and we were poor after christmas.

Its alright to want to play attacking football but a good defence is needed if winning things is important. I think defending set pieces was poor, also defending the far post in open play is weak.

for all the attacking we committed to, the injuries kept piling up, indicating some failures in the broader support system - either fitness or rotation was lacking.

Then towards the end our attack was slow and labourious, opting to allow the opponents defence to organize themselves instead of taking more risks with fast ditect football.

But its year 1 and i will cut ange some slack.i wont be as forgiving in year 2. I think a key measure would be a significant improvement in goal differrence next season

Objectively, there is no evidence that angeball can succeed at the PL and CL level.
Surely a lack of players may have an issue.
You can’t judge style in year 1 or you may end up rating Brighton managers

Strange post overall. Did you not see the injuries league wide? It wasn’t just a Spurs thing.

The first 10 games of the season?.
i always thought it was unsustainable and there were weaknesses waiting to be exploited.
Surely a lack of players may have an issue.
You can’t judge style in year 1 or you may end up rating Brighton managers
true that we can get better players that fit the style...however Ange's game is more about outscoring the competition than a controlled game where the opponent's attack is snuffed out. so this is very subjective i know, but instinctively, i think angeball with the right players could help us to a record goal difference in a season but still lose the league. its far easier to win the league with narrow victories and clean sheets. but yeah angeball is exciting and i support it.
Strange post overall. Did you not see the injuries league wide? It wasn’t just a Spurs thing.
i tend to think that teams that play high octane football end up with more injuries. it could be a deliberate strategy or just haphazard reactionary football. Angeball throws too much forward for my comfort and so when we get dispossessed or countered, a lot of scrambling happens.

i prefer football where there's more control in both attack and defence - like that of Emirates Marketing Project and arsenal. generally to me less panic more deliberate movements = more physical efficiency and less injuries. with 38 games a season and europe you'd need to conserve energy to maintain fitness and produce consistent results to win things. arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project were the two most consistent teams last season with the least injuries.
1718508854707.png
but i'm no pro coach or player so just take my thougts with a pinch of salt. no need to get upset if you disagree :)

i tend to think that teams that play high octane football end up with more injuries. it could be a deliberate strategy or just haphazard reactionary football. Angeball throws too much forward for my comfort and so when we get dispossessed or countered, a lot of scrambling happens.

i prefer football where there's more control in both attack and defence - like that of Emirates Marketing Project and arsenal. generally to me less panic more deliberate movements = more physical efficiency and less injuries. with 38 games a season and europe you'd need to conserve energy to maintain fitness and produce consistent results to win things. arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project were the two most consistent teams last season with the least injuries.

but i'm no pro coach or player so just take my thougts with a pinch of salt. no need to get upset if you disagree :)

Who doesn’t prefer football like that? There’s a massive problem with your comparison though: it’s taken those teams many years to get there. Why do you expect Ange to do it in 1?

The first 10 games of the season?.
I don't agree with the premise that the system can't work, but 10 games is not a big enough sample to suggest that it can. Over the decades there have been many teams that had a 10 game spell of excellent form and results. Ours just especially stood out as it was at the very start of the season as opposed to lost somewhere in the middle of the campaign.

Regarding the system itself, I think we've seen evidence with City that the general idea works. It does though need a high calibre of player to truly succeed. If we continue to bring in the calibre of player then it will work, the willingness and ability to identify and acquire such players is the key part.

I don't agree with the premise that the system can't work, but 10 games is not a big enough sample to suggest that it can. Over the decades there have been many teams that had a 10 game spell of excellent form and results. Ours just especially stood out as it was at the very start of the season as opposed to lost somewhere in the middle of the campaign.

Regarding the system itself, I think we've seen evidence with City that the general idea works. It does though need a high calibre of player and time to truly succeed. If we continue to bring in the calibre of player then it will work, the willingness and ability to identify and acquire such players is the key part.
You forgot to add the words “and time” after high calibre okayed, so I’ve added it for you

And on city…l their player identification has improved over time too. This was a club and coach who went through 4 keepers in a couple of years to find one … how many strikers too!!!

But with time they now only add small amounts that cost a fortune every summer

Regarding the system itself, I think we've seen evidence with City that the general idea works. It does though need a high calibre of player to truly succeed. If we continue to bring in the calibre of player then it will work, the willingness and ability to identify and acquire such players is the key part.
'Objectively, there is no evidence '

Objectively those 10 games are evidence...that is all my post was contesting.

Play like that, rack up points like that, you go very close to winning the league.

You forgot to add the words “and time” after high calibre okayed, so I’ve added it for you

And on city…l their player identification has improved over time too. This was a club and coach who went through 4 keepers in a couple of years to find one … how many strikers too!!!

But with time they now only add small amounts that cost a fortune every summer
Oh yeah definitely time, I thought that was clear with what I said. I think some fans forget what a bad state we've been in over the last few years, the Kane and Son partnership really papered over many cracks.

It's going to take time, courage, great decision making, persistence and a degree of luck to get to where we want to get to. I believe in Ange's, system and I think it can with the right ingredients achieve everything he wants and failing that it builds a good structure for whoever follows.

Oh yeah definitely time, I thought that was clear with what I said. I think some fans forget what a bad state we've been in over the last few years, the Kane and Son partnership really papered over many cracks.

It's going to take time, courage, great decision making, persistence and a degree of luck to get to where we want to get to. I believe in Ange's, system and I think it can with the right ingredients achieve everything he wants and failing that it builds a good structure for whoever follows.
Yep
100% tight
Luck is key too but it’s uncontrollable
Was chatting to an arsenal supporting mate and he is broken now after last season and I was like why? The lack of injuries they had can’t happen again (his words)

Yep
100% tight
Luck is key too but it’s uncontrollable
Was chatting to an arsenal supporting mate and he is broken now after last season and I was like why? The lack of injuries they had can’t happen again (his words)

The lack of injuries isn’t necessarily all positive, some forced rotation may have ensured form was more consistent over the season.

'Objectively, there is no evidence '

Objectively those 10 games are evidence...that is all my post was contesting.

Play like that, rack up points like that, you go very close to winning the league.
Fully agreed.

Objectively the entire season is evidence too. With a squad lacking in real depth Angeball was good enough to come 5th. That's about as much as could realistically be expected in his first season. That is some evidence that the system works in the PL. If the system didn't work in the PL I would have expected the team to perform worse than realistic expectations.

Subjectively I think there's more evidence. There were some really rather disappointing performances. But even in most of the games in our more disappointing period we could see what a team playing Ange ball can do in the PL. We weren't able to find that consistency, but in most games there definitely were periods were it clicked and we were an absolute pain to play against.

If Ange can get a squad together that can do that with constency I see no reason to think Angeball won't work in the PL. But as others have said, takes time, definitely more than two transfer windows.

Back