• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Was gonna start a new thread (still might) but think its best suited to being in here really

I read André Villas-Boas: Special Too (see below link) on Sunday I couldn't put it down once I started.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andr%C3%A9-Villas-Boas-Luis-Miguel-Pereira/dp/1905928084/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386672112&sr=1-1&keywords=andre+villas+boas

Before I read the book like many people on here I was unhappy with AVB, and again like some I didnt want him sacked but at the same time I was completely annoyed by his tactics. GutterBoy (think thats his name) in this very thread started talking about what AVB trys to bring to a club and suggested reading the above book.

I have now finished it and I have regained the faith in AVB, I want to try and give a few reasons why.

Some of his scouting work while under Mourinho was exceptional, the detail he put into those reports is frightening. His man management is first class, if any more story's come out about him losing the dressing room its complete lies. An example of how good he is while at Porto Hulk's sister lost her two kids they drowned in a pool, AVB told Hulk to leave for Brazil and dont come back until he's ready however long it takes. Another player at Academia his wife lost twins again AVB told him to go away and only come back when ready. Also AVB knew of a clinic which would be helpful to the wife when they wanted to try again for kids so he got them booked in when they were ready. AVB believes if a player is mentally suffering they cant be trusted on a pitch. (could explain why Ade took so long to return to the first team) He keeps in touch with all his ex players, they can come to him about anything

Gutterboy mentioned how AVB likes to attack in spells during a game, from what I read I thought it came more across of AVB likes his teams to be in total control of the ball, if we have the ball, we dont waste energy trying to win it back. His strategy's don't tend to change because of the opposition we face that weekend, he prefers teams to worry about us.

I know some people may reply if he's so good why have we been poor in some many games this season. My answer would be too many signings in such a short space of time plus all of them have come from abroad, we always hear how fast English football is and I do think the players think they have more time on the ball when they should be trying to pass the ball around quicker. Its no real surprise our best players this season have been the likes of Walker, Lennon (recently), Demeble, Sandro all have been in English football either all their lives or spent a number of seasons in England. I think as this season goes on we will get stronger and stronger, infact I think we have started our run now.

I would recommend everyone buying the book.

but we 'waste energy' keeping possession don't we? i mean we still have to run around when in possession, players still need to find space etc etc.

Another reason for the high back-line, players are close together should always be an option available to pass to also, if we lose the ball we retain it back quicker.

I also forgot to mention, AVB did his management badges at the Scottish FA, his analyses of the Scotland v Georgia game was so good its still used today as an example for student to use.

but we 'waste energy' keeping possession don't we? i mean we still have to run around when in possession, players still need to find space etc etc.

What do you think wastes more though...keeping the ball (allowing the majority of the team to get set in a particular formation and not having to move too much...cue critique about lack of movement haha) or chasing the ball in a high tempo match where we not only have to constantly shift from side to side, but up and down the length of the pitch as well.

It's effectively like doing shuttle runs up and down a football pitch if we get caught in that kind of game. Where as if we are keeping the ball, we are making the opposition do most of the running and preserving ourselves so when we do decide to hit them, it's overwhelming.

I think what needs to happen, and what new players weren't comfortable with this season and most weren't comfortable with last in the early stages, is learning to play in the rest phase with the same concentration. I see Paulinho limping out of the challenge against Saudi Sportswashing Machine or the period in the game against West Brom in the first home game last year where they over-ran us...you're right in that the players do need to expend some energy making good passes, making themselves available and winning the ball back, they just need to trust that if they do this to the best of their ability, they will have the reserves in the tank to carry out the attacking part of the plan later in the game.

the ball does most of the work , am pretty sure you know this.

have to say that i had a feeling that AVB was considered to be the next mourinho and the media and him sort of put himself out to be the next jose. right down to the kind of players we bought and the base element of the style we play.......minus the money to get the robbens and essiens etc

Was gonna start a new thread (still might) but think its best suited to being in here really

I read André Villas-Boas: Special Too (see below link) on Sunday I couldn't put it down once I started.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andr%C3%A9-Villas-Boas-Luis-Miguel-Pereira/dp/1905928084/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386672112&sr=1-1&keywords=andre+villas+boas

Before I read the book like many people on here I was unhappy with AVB, and again like some I didnt want him sacked but at the same time I was completely annoyed by his tactics. GutterBoy (think thats his name) in this very thread started talking about what AVB trys to bring to a club and suggested reading the above book.

I have now finished it and I have regained the faith in AVB, I want to try and give a few reasons why.

Some of his scouting work while under Mourinho was exceptional, the detail he put into those reports is frightening. His man management is first class, if any more story's come out about him losing the dressing room its complete lies. An example of how good he is while at Porto Hulk's sister lost her two kids they drowned in a pool, AVB told Hulk to leave for Brazil and dont come back until he's ready however long it takes. Another player at Academia his wife lost twins again AVB told him to go away and only come back when ready. Also AVB knew of a clinic which would be helpful to the wife when they wanted to try again for kids so he got them booked in when they were ready. AVB believes if a player is mentally suffering they cant be trusted on a pitch. (could explain why Ade took so long to return to the first team) He keeps in touch with all his ex players, they can come to him about anything

Gutterboy mentioned how AVB likes to attack in spells during a game, from what I read I thought it came more across of AVB likes his teams to be in total control of the ball, if we have the ball, we dont waste energy trying to win it back. His strategy's don't tend to change because of the opposition we face that weekend, he prefers teams to worry about us.

I know some people may reply if he's so good why have we been poor in some many games this season. My answer would be too many signings in such a short space of time plus all of them have come from abroad, we always hear how fast English football is and I do think the players think they have more time on the ball when they should be trying to pass the ball around quicker. Its no real surprise our best players this season have been the likes of Walker, Lennon (recently), Demeble, Sandro all have been in English football either all their lives or spent a number of seasons in England. I think as this season goes on we will get stronger and stronger, infact I think we have started our run now.

I would recommend everyone buying the book.

Not sure about the title :-k

Not sure about the title :-k

[video=youtube;RIjp68LOxwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIjp68LOxwM[/video]

I need to read that book too - need to regain some faith.

Last edited:

Just thinking about AVB's season in Porto, he played Hulk on the right and Varela on the left - both on their inverted sides. Hulk and Falcao though managed to score a lot of goals.

I'm interested in people's opinions on this, as it has often been said inverted wingers are the reason Soldado hasn't been getting service. While I'm sure there's an element of Falcao being excellent and making a few goals for himself, it wouldn't surprise me to think he is asking both Soldado and Falcao to play in broadly the same way. In that case, why is inverted wingers the issue here? Maybe it is actually something else? I don't know for sure either way, just musing.

I wouldn't say inverted wingers was an issue, and it can work, but you need the right mix in midfield to utilise it. Running 20/30 yards with the ball as an inverted winger will create space for full back, but your running into the defensive wall. You need a quick thinking, passing midfielder who can utilise the winger getting between CB and FB while strikers movement pulls them away. What we lack is someone ala Modric who can think quickly, play the through ball to wingers (or striker) in this space. At the moment, ours are all beasts. Great at getting possession, using strength to out muscle teams, but not picking those balls. Its part of the reason Ade struggled last season, but not the season before and likewise Soldado this season. I guess Erikson (or Holtby) is supposed to be that playter, but the former hasn't settled and the latter is only showing glimpses of this at the moment. Still hopefully it will come with time.

Just thinking about AVB's season in Porto, he played Hulk on the right and Varela on the left - both on their inverted sides. Hulk and Falcao though managed to score a lot of goals.

I'm interested in people's opinions on this, as it has often been said inverted wingers are the reason Soldado hasn't been getting service. While I'm sure there's an element of Falcao being excellent and making a few goals for himself, it wouldn't surprise me to think he is asking both Soldado and Falcao to play in broadly the same way. In that case, why is inverted wingers the issue here? Maybe it is actually something else? I don't know for sure either way, just musing.

i cant believe i am about to say this but i believe gordon strachan is wrong with regards to the idea that inverted wingers cause the striker to lack goal scoring opportunities

whats the basis of that train of thought/ the fact that they may crowd that part of the pitch? thats why the better strikers take that opportunity to move into the space created

i think thats incorrect personally

I think the issue is possibly who is playing in the inverted winger position rather than the system. Townsend is always more likely to cut in and shoot rather than cross the ball or slip a pass through.

yeah i don't think Townsend playing as an inverted winger, from what i have seen so far, will benefit the forward much - in terms of link up and creation. maybe he will develop that part of his game over time but right now he seems too focused, in that role, on getting goals

it's funny really i think the way we set our wide men up against Sunderland would have benefited Soldado a lot more than it did Defoe

i also like the idea of Lennon on the right/Chadli on the left OR Lamela on the right/Townsend on the left. one inverted winger one natural wide man.

i cant believe i am about to say this but i believe gordon strachan is wrong with regards to the idea that inverted wingers cause the striker to lack goal scoring opportunities

whats the basis of that train of thought/ the fact that they may crowd that part of the pitch? thats why the better strikers take that opportunity to move into the space created

i think thats incorrect personally

Agree. The whole emphasis on the wide forwards (in a 4-3-3 even more than a 4-2-3-1) is to get up close to an support the CF, so he doesn't get isolated. They should bring him into the game. Hulk use to do this brilliantly with Falcao and to some extent Bale played off Ade like this at times last season.

I'd like to see Lamela and Eriksen integrated on the right and left respectively. Then we'll see how sexy inverted inside forwards can be.

All play like we are trying to (I'm less familiar with that Lyon team).

The Barca movement as they queue up to get in at goal (and then reset if it doesn't come off) is exactly the sort of pre-planned strategy I expect us to be executing in time.

i think i see the issue now

personally speaking IMO not all play the same and not all play the way it seems we are headed

there is quite frankly very little link between how we play and how gooners play as far as system / style....formation might have some similarities to some of the older gooner teams under arsene but we do not play anything like arsenal

we dont play like barcelona either, am not accounting for quality and level of our personell...but even in the style we play..it isnt even close to those

we do however share a similar style to spain national side and the entire italian league (generalised and stereotyping here for italy)

if you didnt see the lyon side of the late 90s and early 2000 i think you missed out on some great footballers and football mate...but we dont play like them either ...but i am more inclined to believe that the lyon team is where we are headed...mixed in with a bit of the ajax of the mid ninties but we need at least 2 or 3 playmakers in the side for that

Last edited:

Again going back to the book it talks how AVB and Jose both played very similar styles.

Both agree 433 is the best formation to give you complete control of a game. Porto under Jose had Derlei who would run diagonally from the right, Hulk did the same for AVB

Both had a winger on the other side who would stay close to the touchline. Carlos Alberto for Jose and Varela for AVB

Also depends how attacking the fullbacks are
Also depends whether the team is breaking at pace in transition with 3 against 3, or playing a very slow buildup with 5 against 10.

Batman says Varela was a winger who played wide, you say Varela was inverted, I have no clue at all but who is right.... both of you?

I think that if Danny Rose hadn't played ruptured his foot tendon (whatever) we would look MILES better this year. Walker and Rose have explosive pace and make the whole inverted winger/ballplayer thing possible

Also depends whether the team is breaking at pace in transition with 3 against 3, or playing a very slow buildup with 5 against 10.

Batman says Varela was a winger who played wide, you say Varela was inverted, I have no clue at all but who is right.... both of you?

I think that if Danny Rose hadn't played ruptured his foot tendon (whatever) we would look MILES better this year. Walker and Rose have explosive pace and make the whole inverted winger/ballplayer thing possible

As I understood it he hugged the touch line but was a right footer.

I think that was what he was trying to get with Sigurdson and Townsend early on in the season, but maybe because that position wasn't natural for Sig we didn't see it work so well. I definately think it's something that any of our wide players could learn to do depending on what side of the pitch the ball is on, hence the need for the wingbacks. Chadli and Lennon are probably as close to it as we have come so far, with most our play coming from the wide work of Lennon and Walker whilst Chadli makes the late runs at the back post.

I think vs Sunderland we got called offside as Paulinho crossed it and Chadli knocked it in way after the whistle but you could see he was making that run into the box.

Is that Batman?

looks more like robocop....

or at a stretch the Owlman from the reverse earth

A point (or three) against Liverpool on Sunday would mean that AVB has amassed 100 Premier League points faster than any manager in Tottenham's history.

For the record, Harry had 91 points after his first 54 games in charge of Spurs.

Back