• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Have a look at the site rules for WUM/trolls. So far we have mainly let it run but I am not sure how much longer we are prepared to let this continue.

Anyway. Thread back on topic. Happy to continue this discussion via PM.

I know this last week has been a bit twitchy, but IMO the site has been a lot nicer place to be around this last year than I can remember for much of the past decade or so (the departures of two particular posters has helped this I think). The debates have on-the-whole been pleasantly mature. I often disagree with people like JTG and KD for instance, but there's appropriate courtesy.

I've never particularly noticed an unhealthy pro-Redknapp agenda on here (cf say the press), but I'll try and pull back from the cheap shots against him.

Last edited:

We lost control of the midfield as soon as Sandro was booked around 30 minutes. He was just about holding things together with last ditch efforts while paulinho was stuck up the pitch. We lost the midfield until dembele came back on at the very end. During that period we played 4231 442 and then 4231 again.

Already said - I can accept it's not the most relevant point to discuss control of midfield in a hammering like that. Fair enough.

This thread has shown that football has been over-complicated so much by the majority.

Football is such a ****ing simple game. Yo go out there and let the players play. Yes there has got to be some tactics and orders but not procedures and a line by line instruction list of what to do when to do it and where to do it by whome and how.

Before the season started AVB had aleady decided that Ade was not in his plans.

Before the season started he had already decided that he did not really Defoe as a started in the league, to date he has started just 1 league match.

So why the feck have we started the season with just one striker he seems to rate? Soldado is not scoring and we do not have a player that the manager either rates or trusts to bring in. Last season we started the season with just Defoe and Ade was either unfit or injured, amazingly we have not learnt from our mistakes of last season. And of course to make things worse we are without the goals of the Welsh Wonder, any surprise we are struggling to score goals?

Before the season started he had already decided that he did not really Defoe as a started in the league, to date he has started just 1 league match.

So why the feck have we started the season with just one striker he seems to rate? Soldado is not scoring and we do not have a player that the manager either rates or trusts to bring in. Last season we started the season with just Defoe and Ade was either unfit or injured, amazingly we have not learnt from our mistakes of last season. And of course to make things worse we are without the goals of the Welsh Wonder, any surprise we are struggling to score goals?

AVB was very positive about Defoe last season. I think he rates him fairly highly, but he rates Soldado higher. Soldado is our first choice striker, Defoe is the backup.

This thread has shown that football has been over-complicated so much by the majority.

Football is such a ****ing simple game. Yo go out there and let the players play. Yes there has got to be some tactics and orders but not procedures and a line by line instruction list of what to do when to do it and where to do it by whome and how.

Where?

That's it in a nutshell.

He does not even give Kane a decent enough go. There is talk he won't play the kids because of a feud with Sherwood. I can't think of a single team in the EPL who only has one striker on the bench apart from us.

Of course none of this matters if we are winning or if we are playing well. But we are doing neither.

AVB was very positive about Defoe last season. I think he rates him fairly highly, but he rates Soldado higher. Soldado is our first choice striker, Defoe is the backup.

If he really rated Defoe he would have had more minutes considering how barren Soldado has been in front of goal. Being positive and only playing him in the cup shows no confidence. Also at this stage in his career Defoe is no impact sub, the sooner AVB realises this the better.

Next window methinks Defoe should leav, it would be best for his career and more importantly best for AVB and Spurs

I honestly feel in this league both Defoe and Soldado need to play with a partner to be effective, alas I question if that partner should be Solado or Defoe.

I would say

1) We couldn't sell either for a price Levy found acceptable, and
2) We didn't get the players we were after (e.g. http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/05/spurs-failed-with-late-alexandre-pato-bid-3952138/ or Morata on loan as part of the Bale deal)

Poor Soldado plays on his own and seriously isolated, and appears to lack the physicality to lead the line on his own. It is not a case of we must play 442, but rather playing 1 striker is not working in the league for us this season

That's it in a nutshell.

He does not even give Kane a decent enough go. There is talk he won't play the kids because of a feud with Sherwood. I can't think of a single team in the EPL who only has one striker on the bench apart from us.

Of course none of this matters if we are winning or if we are playing well. But we are doing neither.

From what I've seen of him, Kane looks more an option in the Chadli/Siggy role on the left, not an alternative to Soldado

Poor Soldado plays on his own and seriously isolated, and appears to lack the physicality to lead the line on his own. It is not a case of we must play 442, but rather playing 1 striker is not working in the league for us this season

He looked a lot better with Paulinho getting up to support him today. Especially against a less competitive side than today, this more 4-3-3y formation might be the solution. Remember Soldado has been a lone forward his entire career to date, this this isn't new to him.

From what I've seen of him, Kane looks more an option in the Chadli/Siggy role on the left, not an alternative to Soldado

Last season Soldado relied on Crosses from either wings, typical Spurs then not to play to his strengths and play with natural wingers on both flanks

He looked a lot better with Paulinho getting up to support him today. Especially against a less competitive side than today, this more 4-3-3y formation might be the solution. Remember Soldado has been a lone forward his entire career to date, this this isn't new to him.

A lone striker who played with a left footed winger on the left and a right sided winger on the right

I love the fact the way Martin Samuel is away covering the Ashes in Australia but finds time to write a story on Tottenham and AVB.

The No agenda Daily Mail :-k

I see Sturidge is out for the next 6-8 weeks, supposing that was Soldado where would that leave us?

If he really rated Defoe he would have had more minutes considering how barren Soldado has been in front of goal. Being positive and only playing him in the cup shows no confidence. Also at this stage in his career Defoe is no impact sub, the sooner AVB realises this the better.

Next window methinks Defoe should leav, it would be best for his career and more importantly best for AVB and Spurs

I honestly feel in this league both Defoe and Soldado need to play with a partner to be effective, alas I question if that partner should be Solado or Defoe.

I don't see why your first sentence has to be true. I think he rates Soldado higher than Defoe so to me it makes sense to play the better player instead of an inferior player. Personally I think it was a mistake by AVB to start Defoe in the one game he did start him in, I saw no reason to think that he would all of a sudden start performing in that role for us at this time and I still don't see it. Luckily AVB switched back to Soldado soon enough. Now it's up to the rest of the team to start creating chances for Soldado, there were promising signs from Lennon today. Hopefully players like Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela will start delivering too sooner rather than later.

I don't quite see what relevance the stage of his career has at this point, if a better player is available in a position then the better player should play most games. It might be best for his career to move on, that's a different issue though.

Soldado and Defoe on the pitch at the same time is not a good idea imo.

I see Sturidge is out for the next 6-8 weeks, supposing that was Soldado where would that leave us?

It would leave us with our backup striker, Defoe, slotting into the side. All in all he's quite similar to Soldado and is a fine backup player to have I think.

Back