• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

So you don't think having a 3 man midfield was perhaps part of the reason we were all over Everton in the first half?

We shouldn't have had a 3 man midfield - Holtby should have been playing 10-15 yards further forward

So you don't think having a 3 man midfield was perhaps part of the reason we were all over Everton in the first half?

Part of the reason. Sandro was on fire. But what is point of having condoms if you are having a ****?

The main problem with our tactics currently is that, despite not creating chances, we still leave our most creative player (Eriksen) on the bench. Really baffles me. Holtby offers nothing whatsoever in that no 10 role and, combined with the wingers staying wide, it means soldado has no support and we don't create chances. Holtby looks more like a normal CM to me and doesn't look remotely suited to that no 10 type role

i disagree with this, Eriksen is all one way for me, can be wonderful, but if he's not in the game, then he really isn't in the game. Holtby on the other hand, when he's not playing slide rule balls through the defence he's running around kicking people, which is absolutely crucial to our system.

We shouldn't have had a 3 man midfield - Holtby should have been playing 10-15 yards further forward

I don't see how this answers my question at all... If anything the question I asked remains the same in response to this post.

Part of the reason. Sandro was on fire. But what is point of having condoms if you are having a ****?

How do you know it was only part of the reason? Is it the case that Everton regularly get outplayed by teams playing 4-4-2 at Goodison?

Of course it was. Holtby was on a mission closing them down all over the pitch.
The real issue in the first half was with Lennon pointlessly trying to cross the ball into 'an area'.
Soldado needed a smart pass into where he was running not crosses. And lennon offered nothing more.

City and Arsenal won yesterday without anyone resembling a winger in their team. They were able to create chances again thanks to their creative wide men (Ozil, Carzola, Silva and Nasri). We had Lennon running down the left predictably turning crossing with his right. He cant shoot and he's not smart enough to learn to play on the left. He didnt learn to do it when Jol played him their and he still hasnt a clue all these years later.

The real issue in the first half was with Lennon pointlessly trying to cross the ball into 'an area'.
Soldado needed a smart pass into where he was running not crosses. And lennon offered nothing more.

City and Arsenal won yesterday without anyone resembling a winger in their team. They were able to create chances again thanks to their creative wide men (Ozil, Carzola, Silva and Nasri). We had Lennon running down the left predictably turning crossing with his right. He cant shoot and he's not smart enough to learn to play on the left. He didnt learn to do it when Jol played him their and he still hasnt a clue all these years later.

to be fair though, had Soldado not ****ed up the header Lennon placed on his forehead 10 yards out in the 1st half we could be lauding Lennon for a fine delivery and assist, not really his fault a striker ****s up when he puts it on a plate.

Great performance. Think a lot of teams will come away from Goodison with nothing this season, they are a good team, and we dominated them for large spells of the match. A point there is nothing to be sniffed at.

This is absolutely bang-on. Even though he wasn't at his sharpest to feed on the scraps when they came, balls whizzed across the box for his head are not what he's known for. I didn't think either inverted wide man had their most effective game in this regard to be honest...

The main problem with our tactics currently is that, despite not creating chances, we still leave our most creative player (Eriksen) on the bench. Really baffles me. Holtby offers nothing whatsoever in that no 10 role and, combined with the wingers staying wide, it means soldado has no support and we don't create chances. Holtby looks more like a normal CM to me and doesn't look remotely suited to that no 10 type role
As stated in another thread, both Eriksen and Holtby are being rotated and are both playing every other game. Its not a case of leaving him on the bench as he prefers Holtby its a case of giving them both the chance to play.

to be fair though, had Soldado not ****ed up the header Lennon placed on his forehead 10 yards out in the 1st half we could be lauding Lennon for a fine delivery and assist, not really his fault a striker ****s up when he puts it on a plate.

The replay showed that header was not nearly as easy as it looked in real time. The cross was flighted so Soldado had to create power himself and it was slightly behind him. Also a ways out. Yes, probably should have hit target, but not a gimme by any means.

This is absolutely bang-on. Even though he wasn't at his sharpest to feed on the scraps when they came, balls whizzed across the box for his head are not what he's known for. I didn't think either inverted wide man had their most effective game in this regard to be honest...

Townsend is a marked man now when he comes inside he hadn't a really decent opportunity to let fly at goal properly. He was always forcing it when he shot. He will have to learn to find space

I'd play both in our next game. I'd bring Eriksen in for Lennon on the left.

I think using Eriksen on the left will ease him in to the pace of the EPL, a bit like we didn in Modric's first season.

Eriksen will also get closer to and provide more appropriate service for Soldado than any of Chadli, Siggy and Lennon have manged from that position.

I think we need to at least partially move away from the idea of a single number 10 to be a creative force for us.

Eriksen has also had some very anonymous games where he's offered very little.

With not the quickest passers in central midfield and at least one wide man (Townsend) who just about always takes 3+ touches looking for a way to dribble or shoot it's always going to be difficult for a number 10 to get involved and be creative. I think we'll see an improvement in time when we get more creative players on the pitch at the same time. Look at the most creative teams both in England and in Europe and it's all about being a team game, several players working together to make their style of play work.

For what was always likely to be a tough game picking the more industrious Holtby seems like a decent plan for now.

I think we need to at least partially move away from the idea of a single number 10 to be a creative force for us.

Eriksen has also had some very anonymous games where he's offered very little.

With not the quickest passers in central midfield and at least one wide man (Townsend) who just about always takes 3+ touches looking for a way to dribble or shoot it's always going to be difficult for a number 10 to get involved and be creative. I think we'll see an improvement in time when we get more creative players on the pitch at the same time. Look at the most creative teams both in England and in Europe and it's all about being a team game, several players working together to make their style of play work.

For what was always likely to be a tough game picking the more industrious Holtby seems like a decent plan for now.

Drop Townsend

As a matter of interest, could we play 3 at the back? Something like....

---------------Lloris------------------

---Dawson----Chiriches-----Verts-----

---------------Sandro----------------

---Walker-----------------Paulinho-----

Lamela---------Holtby---------Eriksen

---------------Sandro---------------

....although the problem here is the left hand side where both players are out of position and there's no wing back bombing on. I dunno, maybe we don't have the personnel, and maybe it's something AVB has never done.

As a matter of interest, could we play 3 at the back? Something like....

---------------Lloris------------------

---Dawson----Chiriches-----Verts-----

---------------Sandro----------------

---Walker-----------------Paulinho-----

Lamela---------Holtby---------Eriksen

---------------Sandro---------------

....although the problem here is the left hand side where both players are out of position and there's no wing back bombing on. I dunno, maybe we don't have the personnel, and maybe it's something AVB has never done.

I dont what would be the most worrying fact if we were to play like this, the formation, or the fact Sandro is up front

Back