• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Why is Eriksen on the bench? Holtby not good enough at the moment.

Siggy has done ever so well recently aswell.

The more people blame loyal and hardworking spurs players, that have been plying their trade for us for years, for soldado not have having one of his spanish league marketed danger mouse fox in the box routines...the more i actually dislike soldado

if its good enough for defoe and ade to get a decent haul without penalties then it should be at the very least decent or satisfactory enough for him. Maybe the problem isnt completely rest of the team, surely at least partially to do with? I mean the guy had an uncontested header.....showed he is human.

for the record i actually thought today was one of his better games for us, but if he isnt scoring then he just isnt scoring, lets deal with that and move on to the next game and another 90 minutes of developing team chemistry with him and the rest.

next thing you know people will start blaming the pitch........oh wait;)

The main problem with our tactics currently is that, despite not creating chances, we still leave our most creative player (Eriksen) on the bench. Really baffles me. Holtby offers nothing whatsoever in that no 10 role and, combined with the wingers staying wide, it means soldado has no support and we don't create chances. Holtby looks more like a normal CM to me and doesn't look remotely suited to that no 10 type role

I totally agree. We are too workmanlike as it is and were the same last season, we need more flair and creativity i.e. Eriksen not someone who isn't as creative but tries harder. I don't buy that he's rotating them, Dawson, Vertonghen, Walker, Paulinho, Soldado, Rose and Lennon have played almost every game when they've been fit. I personally think Eriksen has been the fall guy for the West Ham game to an extent. Holtby hasn't done anything special in the 3 league games he's started, I was disappointed when I got to WHL on Wednesday and saw Eriksen was playing as I knew it would mean he wouldn't be starting today.

The more people blame loyal and hardworking spurs players, that have been plying their trade for us for years, for soldado not have having one of his spanish league marketed danger mouse fox in the box routines...the more i actually dislike soldado

if its good enough for defoe and ade to get a decent haul without penalties then it should be at the very least decent or satisfactory enough for him. Maybe the problem isnt completely rest of the team, surely at least partially to do with? I mean the guy had an uncontested header.....showed he is human.

for the record i actually thought today was one of his better games for us, but if he isnt scoring then he just isnt scoring, lets deal with that and move on to the next game and another 90 minutes of developing team chemistry with him and the rest.

next thing you know people will start blaming the pitch........oh wait;)

We've seen enough of Adebayor and Defoe to realise both aren't good enough though mate. Both are them have no understanding of the offside rule (infuriates me when most of the time they don't even look). Soldado is still new to the team and to English football, I expected him to have more goals but I also expected us to create more chances for him.

We've seen enough of Adebayor and Defoe to realise both aren't good enough though mate. Both are them have no understanding of the offside rule (infuriates me when most of the time they don't even look). Soldado is still new to the team and to English football, I expected him to have more goals but I also expected us to create more chances for him.

That rationale doesnt seem fair to me.

I've actually been thinking that Soldado's general play has been greater than I thought it would be. From my experience of watching him (not seasons worth I'll admit), he needs to be created for. If we provide good opportunities, he'll score goals and occupy defenders. If we don't, he won't do much else. That's the simple and cruel reality for me. If we don't create for him, he'll be a big flop.

Let's hope the creativity kicks up a notch.

Isn't AVB doing exactly what we've been crying about in seasons past - rotating players early on in the season, to have fresh legs in the latter stages when we usually crumble?

It's also very obvious we're desperately lacking a real threat down the left hand side. Super-Jan was immense today and really showed what we've been missing with a real left back. I can't wait for us to have Rose back, or if the injury persists, a new full back in January to attack down the left.

As a matter of interest, could we play 3 at the back? Something like....

---------------Lloris------------------

---Dawson----Chiriches-----Verts-----

---------------Sandro----------------

---Walker-----------------Paulinho-----

Lamela---------Holtby---------Eriksen

---------------Sandro---------------

....although the problem here is the left hand side where both players are out of position and there's no wing back bombing on. I dunno, maybe we don't have the personnel, and maybe it's something AVB has never done.

Coleman_wtf.gif

we didnt create enough clear cut chances for defoe and ade either

Defoe has been given enough chances over the years to prove he is the main man and he disappoints us in the long run. Never scored 20 league goals in a season. Adebayor was just woeful last season. Has the talent but doesn't have the desire to be a top player.

Townsend is a marked man now when he comes inside he hadn't a really decent opportunity to let fly at goal properly. He was always forcing it when he shot. He will have to learn to find space

He's trying to force it though, isn't he? The defenders pretty much know what he is going to do now and can negate it. He needs to adapt and mix it up, like Bale did actually, or he will be ineffective.

I think Townsend will be phased out of the team unless there's a massive upturn in form from him. He's not good enough to always go for glory, sometimes a simple pass can be way more effective.

We also need our wingers to become forwards and become more involved in the build up play. Vertonghen had a good game today, but playing the attacking FB role to perfection meant Lennon was wasted on that side. Siggy would have been a much better fit today. I saw a heat chart that showed us playing a 2-6-2 formation, but the front two were way too deep. A proper 4-3-3 would suit us better IMO.

I think Townsend will be phased out of the team unless there's a massive upturn in form from him. He's not good enough to always go for glory, sometimes a simple pass can be way more effective.

We also need our wingers to become forwards and become more involved in the build up play. Vertonghen had a good game today, but playing the attacking FB role to perfection meant Lennon was wasted on that side. Siggy would have been a much better fit today. I saw a heat chart that showed us playing a 2-6-2 formation, but the front two were way too deep. A proper 4-3-3 would suit us better IMO.

Townsend is clearly no good enough, why wait to phase him out? How much longer can we go without scoring from open play?

We will be 7th and 5 points adrift, then he will be dropped.

Andros is good enough, perhaps you as a supporter is not good enough?

He won't be dropped straight away as that would send the wrong signals and a portion of our support would go into a frenzy about not giving our kids a chance and AVB being a macaron for dropping the only player that tries to make something happen. The only problem is that it mostly boils down to him giving away possession by shooting either wide or straight at the keeper. Him and Defoe, who also has some very staunch support, are very similar in that respect, but neither should be regular starters.

I didn't think Bale played all that well in most games last season, but at least he got us goals. This season we've added more attacking quality and to get most out of those players we have to make some changes to our attacking play.

Last season we started slow and got better and better as AVB found ways to get the most out of the players he had. Getting Dempsey into better positions and most importantly providing Bale with a platform. It didn't happen over night, it took months. We are seeing the same happening again, but AVB didn't have to build from scratch this time. We have a mostly settled back 5 and Sandro, Capoue and Paulinho are far superior to Parker, Livermore, Huddlestone. I have no doubt that our coaching staff is doing all it can to unlock the potential of our attackers. In the meantime we are picking up points at a 2 ppg ratio.

Back