• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

when we start using rose and the pitch as reasons why this fine squad cant seem to play fluid penetrative football, i think that is us really searching for some way to help AVB out

when we start using rose and the pitch as reasons why this fine squad cant seem to play fluid penetrative football, i think that is us really searching for some way to help AVB out

Why do you say that? Although I do not think the size of the pitch is a factor TBF…did AVB say that?

Rose makes perfect sense, and it's hardly helping avb out, because who is responsible for the lack of a backup left back?

Is no different to us struggling when Lennon was out for the last few seasons. It was because he had no natural replacement.

Last edited:

Can we stop this? ALL teams struggle against park the bus tactics.

- It's how most promoted teams survive in the PL, win against similar opponents at home, draw occasional big game at home, anything away = bonus
- Cheat$ki's CL win is one of the finest examples of how parking the bus worked against the best sides in the world.

Yes, we have to improve against lower sides, but lets not pretend it's something easy/obvious tactically.

OK, teams struggle against sides parking the bus. Got it. Do sides struggle against weakened Hull teams when they come out in the second half of a cup game, go 442, take the game to you on your own ground and batter you for 45 minutes?

Hull didn't park the bus against us in the second half, just outplayed us.

OK, teams struggle against sides parking the bus. Got it. Do sides struggle against weakened Hull teams when they come out in the second half of a cup game, go 442, take the game to you on your own ground and batter you for 45 minutes?

Hull didn't park the bus against us in the second half, just outplayed us.

You just here to moan and complain? Raziel makes a very solid post on the topic that has been discussed on the last couple of pages and your reply is to just say "Got it" and move on to another and completely unrelated moan directed at our team/AVB/whoever?

We must have watched different games, I didn't think Hull battered us in that second half.

- It's how most promoted teams survive in the PL, win against similar opponents at home, draw occasional big game at home, anything away = bonus
- Cheat$ki's CL win is one of the finest examples of how parking the bus worked against the best sides in the world.

Yes, we have to improve against lower sides, but lets not pretend it's something easy/obvious tactically.

i think what you mean to say is that all teams struggle to score against park the bus teams

but not all teams struggle to create chances or look pedestrian like we do

i'll tell you what, pencil in the 4th dec when arsenal play hull, i would like to see arsenal struggle to create chances or have good movement i.e look fluid against hull

You just here to moan and complain? Raziel makes a very solid post on the topic that has been discussed on the last couple of pages and your reply is to just say "Got it" and move on to another and completely unrelated moan directed at our team/AVB/whoever?

We must have watched different games, I didn't think Hull battered us in that second half.

The point I'm making is that a weakened Hull side didn't park the bus. And if you think they weren't on top and creating better chances in the second half, then yes, we were watching different games.

EDIT: I'm not here just to be negative, but in any walk of life you learn more through analysing negative points than you do massaging your ego over positive. Its the nature of the beast that the more negative aspects will rise to the fore and be more prominent in discussion.

I'm just airing my honest opinion. What else can I do? I understand that it isn't very popular but its based on the games we've played this season.

Last edited:

here is another one

according to this line of thinking, today Emirates Marketing Project should struggle against norwich to even create good chances and look fluid. they should just struggle

west brom as well against palace

i wanna see if these teams look as pedestrian as we do

we finished 5th last season with a great points total despite struggling against 'park the bus sides' and we're currently 4th despite the same problem - now this would suggest that although we struggle against sides which set out to defend all game and try and hit us with the few scraps they get that we are making up the points in other types of games - other games which we have previously not got as many points from.

so my question is - if we're still picking up the required points for a top 4 push, is the fact we struggle against these types of teams as big of a deal as is made out? would the reverse situation (picking up points in these games but not as many in the others) be a better place to be in with regards to looking to improve? would you be more hopeful of improving our away record than you are of us improving our record against defensive teams at home?

basically i think we're doing the 'hard' stuff well but struggling with the more bread and butter games - i think im more confident of ironing out those problems at home than i would be if we were struggling away/against better sides.

here is another one

according to this line of thinking, today Emirates Marketing Project should struggle against norwich to even create good chances and look fluid. they should just struggle

Did you see Arsenal look very pedestrian against Palace last Saturday?

we finished 5th last season with a great points total despite struggling against 'park the bus sides' and we're currently 4th despite the same problem - now this would suggest that although we struggle against sides which set out to defend all game and try and hit us with the few scraps they get that we are making up the points in other types of games - other games which we have previously not got as many points from.

so my question is - if we're still picking up the required points for a top 4 push, is the fact we struggle against these types of teams as big of a deal as is made out? would the reverse situation (picking up points in these games but not as many in the others) be a better place to be in with regards to looking to improve? would you be more hopeful of improving our away record than you are of us improving our record against defensive teams at home?

basically i think we're doing the 'hard' stuff well but struggling with the more bread and butter games - i think im more confident of ironing out those problems at home than i would be if we were struggling away/against better sides.

People tend to be more critical of teams they follow closely I think. There's been loads of posts about how great Liverpool are, yet their own fans think they've only put in one good performance so far (West Brom).

here is another one

I think you know exactly what I'm saying AS

- Parking the bus is an effective tactic, that doesn't have a simple/easy solution. It's not impossible to get around, but even the best teams will occasional still fail.
- Emirates Marketing Project has Toure, Silva, Aquero in their side, and even so, invested in players over summer to add width to their team to add that extra dimension.
- doubt Palace will park the bus against West Brom.

I agree Spurs needs to

- Move the final ball quicker
- Leverage our width/speed, bring them into game quicker and more often
- Potentially either give Soldado a supporting striker (especially at home), or designate midfield runners

My point is people oversimplify the issue, and propose stupid solutions (like lets give up being a possession team). Quick, accurate passes that open a team up takes time to make second nature.

Did you see Arsenal look very pedestrian against Palace last Saturday?

no i didnt, i watched that game in a pub in SE and they didnt look pedestrian. they couldnt score but that didnt stop them being fluid

the whole issue with our team is that its sooooo rigid and structured. this is good as it promotes discipline and a hard to lose stance.....but as far as getting the best of teams its not so easy

no i didnt, i watched that game in a pub in SE and they didnt look pedestrian. they couldnt score but that didnt stop them being fluid

the whole issue with our team is that its sooooo rigid and structured. this is good as it promotes discipline and a hard to lose stance.....but as far as getting the best of teams its not so easy

But to be fair -> same manger/system for 13+ years, 1 significant player change in over 18 months ... if they aren't fluid you would want to know why.

But to be fair -> same manger/system for 13+ years, 1 significant player change in over 18 months ... if they aren't fluid you would want to know why.

i agree

dont get me wrong, i agree with your points, i just think it doesnt take away from the facts of whats actually happening.

and putting up excuses or reasons as to why these things are happening shouldnt remove the need to fix them...

all that aside i am actualy okay with how we are doing, i didnt expect the team to gel until 2014 at some point.

check the thread from a while ago that asked how long it would take the team to gel.....i can only say that it surprised me that alot of people said it wont take long..a few weeks at best....

thing is though,.....how we played last season, mimics how we have played this year...who is to say this isnt it?

i agree

dont get me wrong, i agree with your points, i just think it doesnt take away from the facts of whats actually happening.

and putting up excuses or reasons as to why these things are happening shouldnt remove the need to fix them...

all that aside i am actualy okay with how we are doing, i didnt expect the team to gel until 2014 at some point.

check the thread from a while ago that asked how long it would take the team to gel.....i can only say that it surprised me that alot of people said it wont take long..a few weeks at best....

thing is though,.....how we played last season, mimics how we have played this year...who is to say this isnt it?

Same, not much argument with you .. we do have to improve

Last season I think was a little different, we were a little softer in middle once Sandro got injured, we struggled to kill off sides, but created lots of chances and had issues with Strikers taking those chances.
This season, lot stronger team in possession, somehow that has translated into less outright chances, but I think our strikers are better (even JD seems improved, or is just on one of his runs).
We were however quicker last season with a lot of Bale/Lennon as our primary tactic.

Back