• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

If it's that easy, why do the top teams not do it?

You can't control a game if you do, the opposition can set the tempo and as soon as they go one nil up then they can sit back and there's far less space to counter into.

We had the right players under redknapp to play that style, we don't any more because that is not what we have bought towards.

how many of the top teams play with a defensive line as high as ours, try to compress all the play in middle and final third, and press from the front as much as we do?

the top teams play differently to us, especially against weaker teams, and they have no problem scoring

If it's that easy, why do the top teams not do it?

You can't control a game if you do, the opposition can set the tempo and as soon as they go one nil up then they can sit back and there's far less space to counter into.

We had the right players under redknapp to play that style, we don't any more because that is not what we have bought towards.

Townsend? Lamela was successful in a counter attacking style at Roma and we paid 25 mill based on that. I think Paulinho would greatly benefit from running from deep and getting on the end of quick counters.

how many of the top teams play with a defensive line as high as ours, try to compress all the play in middle and final third, and press from the front as much as we do?

the top teams play differently to us, especially against weaker teams, and they have no problem scoring

We tried counter attacking football and we still struggled against teams that parked the bus.

We tried counter attacking football and we still struggled against teams that parked the bus.

ok then, we will simply be the only top team known for failing to break teams down who park the bus against us, despite playing possession football and despite playing counter attacking football

unlucky or what :~

ok then, we will simply be the only top team known for failing to break teams down who park the bus against us, despite playing possession football and despite playing counter attacking football

Or perhaps we'll keep improving?

Most teams struggle with bus parking teams, it's why smaller teams park the bus. The teams that are able to consistently create a lot of chances against those types of teams have often been built either using a lot more money or a lot longer time than AVB has had so far and usually without having to sell their best players.

No, i was just asking how many of them play with a counter-attacking style. Nice politician answer though.

Counter attacking is the classic underdog tactic, it's relying on the opponents to do something stupid like give the ball away in the middle of the pitch or overcomit men forward. Dominating the play is the positive move, it's an attempt to take the game by the scruff of the neck and control it. Granted it's not entirely stylish thus far, however it has been successful.

Spursalot;451796[B said:
]No, i was just asking how many of them play with a counter-attacking style. Nice politician answer though.[/B]

Counter attacking is the classic underdog tactic, it's relying on the opponents to do something stupid like give the ball away in the middle of the pitch or overcomit men forward. Dominating the play is the positive move, it's an attempt to take the game by the scruff of the neck and control it. Granted it's not entirely stylish thus far, however it has been successful.

:) what i answered a question by asking a question and didnt actually answer what you asked? sorry about that

I dont agree that counter attacking is an underdog tactic and im not saying we should only play in this way. I think if it is perfected on the training pitch it can be an important weapon in upping the goal tally for whichever top team uses it. You asked which teams use counter attacking football and ive seen Man utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and ****, Real Madrid all use swift attacks on the counter in order to score goals.

they dont solely play counter attacking football, but in games they use it expertly when the opportunity presents itself and profit from it.

:) what i answered a question by asking a question and didnt actually answer what you asked? sorry about that

I dont agree that counter attacking is an underdog tactic and im not saying we should only play in this way. I think if it is perfected on the training pitch it can be an important weapon in upping the goal tally for whichever top team uses it. You asked which teams use counter attacking football and ive seen Man utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and ****, Real Madrid all use swift attacks on the counter in order to score goals.

they dont solely play counter attacking football, but in games they use it expertly when the opportunity presents itself and profit from it.

I'm not against employing it as a tactic, it has it's uses, however with a team that plays possession dominating football the opportunities will be few and far between. In fact against the higher teams i expect we will see the use of counter attacking. We used to counter a lot more, partly because we were a bit **** at keeping the ball.

Those teams do use it, but it's not the main style that they play, it's an addition to a game plan, never a plan A for a team that wants to challenge for titles.

As an aside, and not just directed at you, from the general vibes i am getting around the forum it seems that people want us to be able to employ every style of football under the sun at a moments notice, it just doesn't seem entirely feasible to me given the limited coaching time and the relative inexperience of a number of players in AVB's system.

Indeed, we used to counter-attack because we weren't as good at dominating as we are now, so the games would ebb and flow more.

Now we can choose sometimes to drop a bit deeper and let the opposition out a bit... let them out a bit more... let them build a bit of a move... let them come forward into our defensive trap... all whilst keeping 2 or 3 pacey players on the half way line ready to spring forwards when they **** it up.

Who says that we are the finished product? I think that we are a work in progress and only part of the way there. AVB like most managers has started off by shoring us up. Hopefully, he can now put the final pieces of the jigsaw in place.

I'm not sure what the alternatives are, we cannot afford the quality players of the true top clubs and the footballing version of rope-a-dope that you are advocating would require a phenomenal performance from the team, a bit of luck and I am not sure that an opponent would fall for it more than once.

Can we stop this? ALL teams struggle against park the bus tactics.

- It's how most promoted teams survive in the PL, win against similar opponents at home, draw occasional big game at home, anything away = bonus
- Cheat$ki's CL win is one of the finest examples of how parking the bus worked against the best sides in the world.

Yes, we have to improve against lower sides, but lets not pretend it's something easy/obvious tactically.

Didn't Arsenal beat Stoke at home despite Stoke having more possession and being the away team? Man United were a counter attacking team for years under Fergie, not in home games, but definitely away from home.

Who says that we are the finished product? I think that we are a work in progress and only part of the way there. AVB like most managers has started off by shoring us up. Hopefully, he can now put the final pieces of the jigsaw in place.

I'm not sure what the alternatives are, we cannot afford the quality players of the true top clubs and the footballing version of rope-a-dope that you are advocating would require a phenomenal performance from the team, a bit of luck and I am not sure that an opponent would fall for it more than once.

The most important thing this season and going into next season is we keep our top players. No matter how much Real Madrid offer for Vertonghen, Paulinho or Lloris, we have to hold firm, otherwise we will have to spend money to replace those players and before you know it's yet another "transitional season" where the new players have to get comfortable with our system.

I'm still wholly unconvinced about AVB tactically, at home anyways. I thought he was supposed to be a top tactician?

I wish I knew all the answers as to why we can't break teams down, but one theory is we don't get enough men forward when attacking. We should have 4 or 5 players attacking the box when we attack down flanks for example with one man on the edge of the box looking to pick up loose balls and shoot or play someone in. I honestly haven't watched Liverpool much this season, most of their goals seem to be moments of individual brilliance from Sturridge or Suarez. Southampton are a good example of a team who press the ball and create chances from it. They even went to Anfield and could have scored 3 or 4.

The most important thing this season and going into next season is we keep our top players. No matter how much Real Madrid offer for Vertonghen, Paulinho or Lloris, we have to hold firm, otherwise we will have to spend money to replace those players and before you know it's yet another "transitional season" where the new players have to get comfortable with our system.

I'm still wholly unconvinced about AVB tactically, at home anyways. I thought he was supposed to be a top tactician?

I wish I knew all the answers as to why we can't break teams down, but one theory is we don't get enough men forward when attacking. We should have 4 or 5 players attacking the box when we attack down flanks for example with one man on the edge of the box looking to pick up loose balls and shoot or play someone in. I honestly haven't watched Liverpool much this season, most of their goals seem to be moments of individual brilliance from Sturridge or Suarez. Southampton are a good example of a team who press the ball and create chances from it. They even went to Anfield and could have scored 3 or 4.

I don't agree. If a club (that we were not in direct competition with) made an obscenely over the top offer for any of our players we should sell them. Until we have built our new stadium it is the only way that we can continue to compete.

Can we stop this? ALL teams struggle against park the bus tactics.

- It's how most promoted teams survive in the PL, win against similar opponents at home, draw occasional big game at home, anything away = bonus
- Cheat$ki's CL win is one of the finest examples of how parking the bus worked against the best sides in the world.

Yes, we have to improve against lower sides, but lets not pretend it's something easy/obvious tactically.

Just us more than others though ...

Back