• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Er..

That's not particularly accurate. Sometimes it just happens to be how they do on the day.

Are you going to blame the system for points we gained last season, and haven't this?

true but back to the argument of whether we're playing differently or not, I guess there about fifty shades between yes to no...I honestly think that modric and vdv are great players and we've somehow "replaced" them both with a new team ethic. A team that plays for each other and puts the overall shape of the team above any individual's performance. The obvious trade off would be spontaneity for deliberation. Sure the system has lost points compared to last season, but the season isnt over yet.

How can you pick something that happened in a short period and use that to compare this season to the last? When we're away to Everton and leading, you kind of expect them to put pressure on us. Against a lesser team we would have held on IMO and what happened there was just freaky and in no way useful in a seasonal comparison.

I'm just pointing out that we have improved since this season started, unlike last season where we started off great, then tailed off.

Read your original post again:

"We pressed under Redknapp, but that was more to do with us coming out at 100 mph than any sort of tactical plan. Later in the season the players tired and we didn't do it as much.

Now we do it in a more controlled manner, so as not to run out of steam at 70 minutes"

So you're comparing this seasons pressing to last seasons. I then state that i think your opinion about our pressing this season being controlled so we "do not run out of stream at 70 minutes" is totally wrong as we've conceded quite a lot of goals from that 70th minute mark onwards (isn't that the most in the league by a mile?). i then state that i think the continuous pressing has a lot to do with it.

You're now asking me how i can pick something that happened at a short period and use that to compare this season to last? that question doesn't even make sense. We're all comparing this season to last season..going by your weird question we shouldn't be comparing anything being that we';re comparing half a season with a whole season.

Why do you keep insinuating AVB has abandoned his ways and philosophies because they've failed after 3 games (??) and now seemingly reverted to your favourite Redknapp's style of play - suggesting he's some kind of a loser fool who had to go back to Arry's winning formula (the same one who had us collapse two seasons in a row like spineless qunts). Are you actually serious? :ross:

None of this has happened, and I don't see AVB as that kind of person any way, if anything he'll continue to instil his footballing philosophy and vision on the playersas well as club in general. We are playing completely different football compared to last season and for the first time in a long while have a medium-to-long term vision and someone who puts the club first ahead of his personal benefit and little agenda, while referring to Tottenham as 'we' not 'them' or 'idiots'.

He was right about the "idiots" though

top post

i feel the same way about people that didnt notice this LAST season. Not to mention the Cb's pulling wide thing has been a main stay in our system since Jol started bringing that into prominence.

LOL, go figure. it only took people like 5 to 7 years to realise this

I keep thinking back to Ramos - when players were committed to the system, the fitness and structure made us a resilient side. Sides like manyou, chavs and the scum became our bitches. I think we dropped off due to lack of communication skills.

AvB has those bases covered, and valuable experience with cheatski. How this project progresses will lie in part on transfers. And man management.

It's become very hard to contribute to this thread.
I said an awful lot early on and I stand by that. The whole 'he said' thing becomes so negative it's sad.

When there are 22 men, a ball and a pitch, there's only so much you can do that's different. There will always be similarities.
The devil is in the details, in looking to maximize moments and situations, in modifying the way certain things are done and in maximizing the potential of what you have.
Obviously when Bale gets the ball and runs at full tilt, he's been doing that for the last few seasons. But it's own you use the sports car, not evaluating the performance in full flight. That doesn't change!

Our possession game this season has been built without Modric, who was the VITAL part of it for over two seasons IMO. With Verts and the renewed Dawson, we can see that the defenders are pumping less long balls. The shape of the team off the ball is much much tighter and compact (put it this way, VDV would not be able to play in this system for prolonged spells) and we are able to tactically adjust according to opposition. On Sunday, once Bale stuck more to the left and accepted the double-teaming, we were able to use the space more effectively, and then when BAE came on, it freed him up a bit more and kept Utd's excellent DMs and defense consistently on their toes. In the end, we deserved to win. We ran them harder in the second half than anyone has that I've seen.

In short, AVB has clearly, clearly had us doing things differently, and as was said by some during the early season back and forth, he was putting down the roots from which we're starting to see bloom. There's still a way to go, and I think he would be the first to say that, but for me, we are a very hard, consistent team to beat. Of all the results which were a disappointment, Everton was my main one because frankly, it's a game we did not deserve to lose.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

I heard an unsubstantiated rumour on BBC Five Live this evening that AVB is at Celtic Park this evening watching Hooper who has scored this evening and is having a very good game

I heard an unsubstantiated rumour on BBC Five Live this evening that AVB is at Celtic Park this evening watching Hooper who has scored this evening and is having a very good game

no, he is looking at Wanyama

It's become very hard to contribute to this thread.
I said an awful lot early on and I stand by that. The whole 'he said' thing becomes so negative it's sad.

When there are 22 men, a ball and a pitch, there's only so much you can do that's different. There will always be similarities.
The devil is in the details, in looking to maximize moments and situations, in modifying the way certain things are done and in maximizing the potential of what you have.
Obviously when Bale gets the ball and runs at full tilt, he's been doing that for the last few seasons. But it's own you use the sports car, not evaluating the performance in full flight. That doesn't change!

Our possession game this season has been built without Modric, who was the VITAL part of it for over two seasons IMO. With Verts and the renewed Dawson, we can see that the defenders are pumping less long balls. The shape of the team off the ball is much much tighter and compact (put it this way, VDV would not be able to play in this system for prolonged spells) and we are able to tactically adjust according to opposition. On Sunday, once Bale stuck more to the left and accepted the double-teaming, we were able to use the space more effectively, and then when BAE came on, it freed him up a bit more and kept Utd's excellent DMs and defense consistently on their toes. In the end, we deserved to win. We ran them harder in the second half than anyone has that I've seen.

In short, AVB has clearly, clearly had us doing things differently, and as was said by some during the early season back and forth, he was putting down the roots from which we're starting to see bloom. There's still a way to go, and I think he would be the first to say that, but for me, we are a very hard, consistent team to beat. Of all the results which were a disappointment, Everton was my main one because frankly, it's a game we did not deserve to lose.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

And yet not ONE person on this thread has managed to convey what those little details are accurately.

Er..

It's been talked about for the last five or so pages, where have you been?

Accurately. I have seen talk about pressing, high line, more organised. The first two I simply don't think is true. The third no one can tell me how we look more organised exactly.

Thing is, this is not a critique of AVB. We played brilliantly last year. Even during our "collapse" we dominated teams and played well. This year we are playing a similar system to last year. Two wingers, two deeper lying central midfielders with covering the back four. Two up top, one slightly withdrawn. Short passing, slow tempo patient football. The net result is that, unlike earlier in the season, we are playing to the strengths of the playing squad and are doing fantastic. That is a real credit to the Manager. I was even very happy with the way we played QPR away from home (that said I was happy with the performance last year too when I felt we were unlucky to lose 1-0, it was a game we deserved to win comfortably).

I think we have the fourth best team and squad in the country at the moment, and the way we are playing at the moment that is where we'll finish which is excellent news.

I think AVB is doing a really good job now after a shaky start.

If we do get 4th, he's done really well, because we'll finish above two clubs with bigger incomes than us. And no club with a smaller income will finish above us, so it will be an over-achievement just as Harry did for years.

Trouble with Harry is he won nowt, AVB can take that step above Harry if he gets us a trophy preferably this year.

Agreed. As long as one of our wingers turns up then we're usually fine, if not then we get performances like those away to QPR.

Accurately. I have seen talk about pressing, high line, more organised. The first two I simply don't think is true. The third no one can tell me how we look more organised exactly.

itemise your question then. its okay to say that no one has said anything....then when presented with the possibility they have...you then illuminate by saying "accurately"

so give a detailed break of what exactly you want to know ....point for point. its no good you just saying "how are we pressing"...that kind of question is to vague cause a lot of stuff contributes to that i would imagine

so feel free to ask mate, i think if you want an accurate answer you have to really provide accurate and detailed questions. just dont expect parklane1 to answer it;)

Back