• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

No cure for selective vision I guess.

I see a very clear plan when we have the ball to push up the full backs and have the centre backs go wide. We play with a higher line than we did last season, but then again, admitting that would make it harder to include Redknapp whenever you give praise to AVB.

Our full backs pushed up even further last year? In fact I'd say last season they often pushed forward TOO much. Our centre backs went wide last season too?

Do we play a higher line that last season? I don't think it's a massive difference. Last season we played possession football and squeezed the opposition into their half.

I do give AVB credit. He is doing a fantastic job, and a better one than Redknapp so far in my opinion. I don't think Redknapp would have got anymore out of the players than AVB has that's for sure. So I don't understand why you even bothered making the dig about Redknapp.

No cure for selective vision I guess.

I see a very clear plan when we have the ball to push up the full backs and have the centre backs go wide. We play with a higher line than we did last season, but then again, admitting that would make it harder to include Redknapp whenever you give praise to AVB.

So do i, those who can/will not see are either blind or not seen us play.

The bits I have in bold is the sort of stuff that sounds nice but just not really true. There's no magical mystery strategy going on that AVB has been slowly implementing, if anything it seems clear he tried a few things earlier and they didnt work, so he has had to change it around a bit. I think its pretty much common knowledge that a meeting was held with the players to discuss the poor performances and late goals - after realising the players werent happy with certain things this was changed. As nice as your theory sounds, difficult to see a case for it when the "ideas" we have now are not the same "ideas" we had at the start. We are playing reasonable well now, but it is compared with how we started the season rather than last season.

As for more intelligent / this n that better etc, again it sounds nice but the players aren't playing better than they did under HR, we dominated so many games last season (win or lose) limiting our opponents. Last week at QPR their target was a draw and they did this by blocking us out as they know we struggle to break teams down. Today Man Utd got the lead in the first 30 mins and then tried to shut us out as they know we struggle to score, had we gone 1 nil up then you know Man Utd are ending the game with 20 shots on goal ! But i'd expect teams to have less chances against us this season as Modric/Parker had become Dembele/Sandro - a lot tougher to get through.

AVB started slowly, no doubt about that (unless you be really precious about it) but credit should go to him for not being stubborn and realising how to get the best out of these players - we started off too cautious and strict in the way we play and it didnt have great results, we seem to be playing a lot more like last season now when you look at positions players take up and their movement. Im glad he has realised you dont invite pressure onto Kyle Walker!

Now we are back playing at a reasonable standard and he understands what the players can/cant do, it is now onward we might see him build on this and coach new ideas / do something intelligent so that he raises us above where you'd expect this squad to be.

Golfball ....Seriously, you don't get it ?

You can only have a viewpoint about the start of our season, (yes fifteen games in if you like ) if you make allowances for the fact that AVB and his management team were new to the job and the fact that an important core of last seasons side were no longer part of the team, due to either injury, retirement or had been sold on!

It just seems like you and many others expected the new manager, his coaches and the new players to simply walk in through the doors of WHL at the beginning of the season and immediately pick things up from where we were last season, all this without King, Parker, BAE, Kaboul, Modric, and VDV and with one recognised striker .

Like many Spurs fans your expectations for the first couple of the months of the new manager and new players , was just totally unrealistic and the failure in getting the new players at the start of the season
to function like a well oiled footballing machine was in your mind solely attributed to the cautionary approach of the manager when in fact, it was largely to do with the hesitancy in the minds of the players due to their new working environment and instructions.

So in the first dozen or so games you did not see any positives and it all simply started coming together overnight after the players had a chat with AVB?

I agree with all of this. AVB is doing a great job, but I can certainly see no revolution in the way we're playing. Not even evolution. That happened at the beginning of the season, but we've reverted back to the style and formation that we played successfully last year.

Another one, I'm not sure if being serious#-o

We don't really play like we did last season. We're more ruthless an less gung-ho. At times last season we lost out shape too many times and got hit on the counter for a sucker punch. We're more patient and probing in our build up which seems to result in more clear-cut chances than a game full of half-chances. Problem is that we're often missing them.

Another one, I'm not sure if being serious#-o

it's amazing isn't it?

last season imv we pretty much set ourselves up to let our our attacking 4 (Bale, Lennon, Adebayor and VdV) have the freedom to play how they wanted/to play their 'natural' game, when it all clicked it was amazing - but it was totally reliant on the individuals, whereas from what i have seen over the course of this season is that we are trying to develop a team style of play that is more about the unit than it is the individuals that start the game.

i find it amazing that anyone can think that a side without Modric or VdV and with an out of form Adebayor has been set up to play like we were last season, not to mention we have been playing 442 not the 4411 we were last season. from what i have seen we are set up almost entirely different (im not saying for better or for worse here btw, just there's a clear difference in how we are set up to play) i have to wonder how much of our games either this season or last that anyone making that claim actually has watched

Some have said they don't see us collapsing like we did in the last two seasons, I'd like to know why you believe this. One of the reasons was fatigue as a result of not rotating our squad enough. Now AVB's policy is to always play our strongest or near enough our strongest team available in every single game. He's rotated the centre halves a lot, but Defoe has played nearly every game. I can see this backfiring.

Another factor regarding our poor form was poor tactics and errors of judgement from Redknapp.

But for me, the three main reasons are:

1. Teams get wise to how to play against us i.e. park the bus as they know we struggle to break teams down who sit back.
2. The movement of our strikers is nowhere near intelligent enough to stretch/beat the defender marking them.
3. We lack a creative midfielder in the centre who can unlock teams like Fabregas for example.

Seen as how it looks like we won't be getting a striker or Holtby in this window, are people confident that AVB's tactical nous is good enough work our way around teams who sit back against us?

Last point, the difference between us getting top 4 and finshing outside the top 4 will be if we get a striker in the window as Defoe's record in the second half of seasons is usually poor and Adebayor has flattered to deceive to put it mildly.

Some have said they don't see us collapsing like we did in the last two seasons, I'd like to know why you believe this. One of the reasons was fatigue as a result of not rotating our squad enough. Now AVB's policy is to always play our strongest or near enough our strongest team available in every single game. He's rotated the centre halves a lot, but Defoe has played nearly every game. I can see this backfiring.

Another factor regarding our poor form was poor tactics and errors of judgement from Redknapp.

But for me, the three main reasons are:

1. Teams get wise to how to play against us i.e. park the bus as they know we struggle to break teams down who sit back.
2. The movement of our strikers is nowhere near intelligent enough to stretch/beat the defender marking them.
3. We lack a creative midfielder in the centre who can unlock teams like Fabregas for example.

Seen as how it looks like we won't be getting a striker or Holtby in this window, are people confident that AVB's tactical nous is good enough work our way around teams who sit back against us?

Last point, the difference between us getting top 4 and finshing outside the top 4 will be if we get a striker in the window as Defoe's record in the second half of seasons is usually poor and Adebayor has flattered to deceive to put it mildly.

There's always a possibility of a collapse, I'm not certain in any way.

We haven't rotated much, I agree. Parke, Ader and Ekotto should be coming into top form soonish I hope and both Dempsey and Sig have been on the bench their fair share. For me the worry is still Dembele, without him we lack so much. He had an off day against QPR and the effects were clear to see. He has been playing most games he's been available for and we have no real cover. Hopefully Holtby or someone can come in and offer us some cover for his role.

1. Yes, but we've had to deal with this most of the season. I think we've done slightly better against bus parking teams overall this season. I think Ade hitting some form could be very important. He gives us some extra movement and some physical presence that really can help us break down stubborn teams.

2. Very few strikers are intelligent enough in their movement to create space against bus parking teams.

3. Yeah, most teams in the world could use Fabregas I think. Again my worry is what happens if Dembele picks up an injury. He does give us a lot of creativity in the centre, but without him we have looked clueless at times.

I don't know about AVB's tactical nous, that alone is not enough, we need the players performing and if need be we need some additional players during the window.

There's always a possibility of a collapse, I'm not certain in any way.

We haven't rotated much, I agree. Parke, Ader and Ekotto should be coming into top form soonish I hope and both Dempsey and Sig have been on the bench their fair share. For me the worry is still Dembele, without him we lack so much. He had an off day against QPR and the effects were clear to see. He has been playing most games he's been available for and we have no real cover. Hopefully Holtby or someone can come in and offer us some cover for his role.

1. Yes, but we've had to deal with this most of the season. I think we've done slightly better against bus parking teams overall this season. I think Ade hitting some form could be very important. He gives us some extra movement and some physical presence that really can help us break down stubborn teams.

2. Very few strikers are intelligent enough in their movement to create space against bus parking teams.

3. Yeah, most teams in the world could use Fabregas I think. Again my worry is what happens if Dembele picks up an injury. He does give us a lot of creativity in the centre, but without him we have looked clueless at times.

I don't know about AVB's tactical nous, that alone is not enough, we need the players performing and if need be we need some additional players during the window.

The reason I asked about AVB's tactics is because the team is largely the same as it was last year attacking wise minus VDV and Modric, but the manager is different and people clearly didn't rate the last manager or his tactics.

The reason I asked about AVB's tactics is because the team is largely the same as it was last year attacking wise minus VDV and Modric, but the manager is different and people clearly didn't rate the last manager or his tactics.

Well, two players out of the front 6 is still a considerable change.

And who the players are, or who the front 6 are is a fairly different issue to how the team is attacking wise. Like I said I think we have been a bit better against the very defensive sides this season, and I have hopes that we will keep improving in that regard as the team keeps settling. If that's enough I don't know.

Well, two players out of the front 6 is still a considerable change.

And who the players are, or who the front 6 are is a fairly different issue to how the team is attacking wise. Like I said I think we have been a bit better against the very defensive sides this season, and I have hopes that we will keep improving in that regard as the team keeps settling. If that's enough I don't know.

Granted, but we still use two wingers and like to hit teams on the break with pace. We all know Bale struggles when teams double up on him. Lennon does slightly better does not get enough credit for his intelligence.

The reason I asked about AVB tactics is because the team is largely the same as it was last year attacking wise minus VDV and Modric, but the manager is different and people clearly didn't rate the last manager or his tactics.

Last season we played like a bunch of individuals, which when it worked was great. Under AVB we play more as a team and it does not matter that much if certain individuals do not perform at their best.

i think (and I have no evidence to back this up at all, it was just a feeling) that last season when all the england talk started levels of preparation and professionalism dropped, performances seemed lazy, tracking assignments were dropped, set piece marking was ill thought out

i'm not going to say that was all Harry's fault as clearly the players are also responsible, but I think Harry became a lame duck and his handling of the situation did nothing to help

i also think an attitude of "4th is a brilliant result" and "they've never had it so good" set in and certain laurels were rested on

the season before I think lack of rotation twinned with the CL adventure took its toll

this season I wouldn't say AVB has rotated brilliantly but we've been forced to switch around quite a lot due to injuries and suspensions, the fear is that our most dangerous players are the ever presents so far, i don't expect him to get tapped up before May though and I don't think he'll let the standards slip, and most of all I think he see's 3rd/4th as a bit disappointing, much like the 1-1 on sunday afternoon

Last season we played like a bunch of individuals, which when it worked was great. Under AVB we play more as a team and it does not matter that much if certain individuals do not perform at their best.

Not sure I agree with that. Can't think of too many games we've won where Bale hasn't played well, or Dembele actually.

Not sure I agree with that. Can't think of too many games we've won where Bale hasn't played well, or Dembele actually.

Fergie played Jones yesterday to double up on Bale and it worked, but it left space for us to exploit, of course we still need the individual flair but we are no longer as reliant on it as we were.

the big challenge for me would be up front. see QPR draw and Defoe's history of goal-droughts - big risk that we don't score enough to rack up the points. we really need Ade to come back scoring goals, to recapture that form of last season. hope AVB has what it takes to make it happen.

Dembele is a fair call, but imo there have been a fair few games that Bale hasn't turned up for.

As for a Fabregas style creative? We don't need one. We created 2-3 clear cut chances against United, prior to the Dempsey goal. What we need to do is to start taking those chances.

Though i see that as more of a personnel issue than a manager issue...

Last edited:
André Villas-Boas improves with age and gives Spurs something to savour
The Tottenham Hotspur manager is forming friendships and thriving away from the suffocating environment at Chelsea

David Hytner
The Observer, Saturday 19 January 2013 17.31 EST
Jump to comments (…)

André Villas-Boas has mellowed from the agitated and intense manager who was jettisoned by Chelsea. Photograph: Jose Jordan/AFP/Getty Images
André Villas-Boas's selection of a favourite red shines a light on more than his sense of refinement. "There are superior wines but the one I enjoyed most was Château Phélan Ségur 1986," the Tottenham Hotspur manager says.

"You get satisfaction from wine not only from the quality but from the event, surroundings and the people." In other words, Villas-Boas can savour individual excellence but he does not obsess over it. It is the environment, the harmony of the collective, that is of importance to him.

The philosophy has underpinned everything that Villas-Boas has attempted in his two seasons in English football, although it is a matter of record that it did not work at Chelsea last time out, when his approach jarred with a hierarchical dressing room and a club where power struggles are a way of life. It felt like a mercy on at least one level when he was relieved of his duties last March, having been ground down.

Intense experiences leave their mark and it is possible to see Villas-Boas as wiser for the chastening, a changed man perhaps, as he shapes his revival across London. The portrait had become unflattering at Stamford Bridge, with some players complaining that he would keep them in the dark over team selection and generally not give them the respect they deserved.

The perception built that the 35-year‑old Portuguese was arrogant. When the story broke last June that Tottenham were primed to give him a second chance, in place of the sacked Harry Redknapp, there was a whispering campaign driven by individuals who had found themselves rubbed the wrong way by Villas-Boas at Chelsea. The gist was that the Tottenham players would hate him. Was the club really sure about this appointment?

They were, and the early signs have been that the chairman Daniel Levy's conviction was well placed.

Villas-Boas was charged with handling a transitional period at the club, which included the detail of the move to the new training ground in Enfield: there were concerns that the switch from Spurs Lodge might have an impact and require adjustments but they have proved unfounded.

More significantly, Luka Modric had forced his transfer to Real Madrid; the mighty Ledley King had retired and the fan favourite Rafael van der Vaart had moved to Hamburg, although that was Villas-Boas's decision. Throw in injuries to Younès Kaboul, Benoît Assou‑Ekotto and Scott Parker, which have led to the trio barely featuring, together with the handover in goal from Brad Friedel to the summer signing Hugo Lloris, and Villas-Boas has fielded a radically different XI over the first half of the season to the strongest side under Redknapp.

A new team, with new signings, needs time to settle and the situation at Tottenham has been compounded by the desire of Villas-Boas and his new coaching staff to implement their ideas in training and a fresh style in matches. Whereas Redknapp was quick, direct and often swashbuckling, Villas-Boas is more controlled, possession-based and probing. His team wait for their moment. It is chess to Redknapp's battleships.

And all the while, Villas-Boas has had to keep Tottenham up where they want to be, in the Champions League places. Ahead of Sunday's home fixture against Manchester United, they can reflect that they are sitting rather prettily.

Villas-Boas's man-management has been an eye-catching feature of his six months in charge and he has succeeded where he failed at Chelsea in the implementation of a meritocracy. His near-pathological impulse to treat everybody the same, from the club captain to the cleaner, has gone down well, making him popular and, crucially, stoking the fires of fair competition within a talented squad. If you train and play well, you will be picked, regardless of reputation.

Villas-Boas made the point forcibly when he stuck with the in-form Friedel during the opening months, making Lloris battle and bide his time before he won his place but there are other examples. Jermain Defoe began brightly and, despite the return on a permanent transfer of Emmanuel Adebayor, last season's main man, he kept his place. Steven Caulker and, more recently, Kyle Naughton have enjoyed their rewards.

"You want to know that if you are playing well and you are training well, you will be in the team," Caulker said. "I think AVB has brought that in. It's not nice when there are favourites."

Michael Dawson stands as the monument to Villas-Boas's openness and willingness to have his mind changed. The club captain was told by Villas-Boas that he would enter the season as the fifth-choice centre-half and, as such, it was probably better that he left. Tottenham accepted an offer of £9m from Queens Park Rangers for him yet Dawson chose to stay and fight. His attitude in training has been exemplary and Villas-Boas has now recalled him to the Premier League team.

"He was pretty much honest and said he couldn't guarantee me games," Dawson says. "I respected him for that. But he has never once left me out there. He's been great. Everyone has opinions and, hopefully, I've changed his opinion now. He speaks to me on a regular basis and when I wasn't playing, it was the same."

Dawson is a lovely bloke but it is nonetheless remarkable to hear a player who was ushered towards the exit by the manager describing him as "great".

Talk to staff at the club about Villas-Boas and the picture forms of a likable and engaging guy, who is interested in them and has the capacity to bring everybody together.

His prioritising of team spirit saw him take the players out for dinner in New York, during the pre-season tour, and do so again in London at Christmas time, together with the coaches, medics and kit-man. He does not deal in the extremes of emotion after matches, not even the 3-2 victory at United in September, which has been the highlight thus far. He treated it as a normal win.

Defoe is obviously a fan. "It's difficult for André because he was at Chelsea and things weren't great there," he says. "Everyone's looking at him. Even before the season started, a lot of people were doubting him. What he has done so far has been brilliant. All the lads love him. He's got great ideas. He's really organised."

Villas-Boas's attention to detail is meticulous, his sessions are sharp and everything has a carefully calibrated purpose. When his team were shipping late goals, he said he "increased the complexity of the tasks the players have been doing at the end of training" to promote concentration. That was in mid-December. They have not conceded a late goal since.

Villas-Boas can seem like the kid who is really good at Championship Manager and the criticism is that he over-thinks and changes for change's sake. He simply hopes that his rotation will allow Tottenham to stay the course this season, rather than run out of steam in the closing months, as they have done for the previous two.

Has Villas-Boas truly changed from Chelsea? It is more likely that he has found a more receptive workplace and a job that is a little less impossible. United's visit offers his latest reference point.

i think (and I have no evidence to back this up at all, it was just a feeling) that last season when all the england talk started levels of preparation and professionalism dropped, performances seemed lazy, tracking assignments were dropped, set piece marking was ill thought out

i'm not going to say that was all Harry's fault as clearly the players are also responsible, but I think Harry became a lame duck and his handling of the situation did nothing to help

i also think an attitude of "4th is a brilliant result" and "they've never had it so good" set in and certain laurels were rested on

the season before I think lack of rotation twinned with the CL adventure took its toll

this season I wouldn't say AVB has rotated brilliantly but we've been forced to switch around quite a lot due to injuries and suspensions, the fear is that our most dangerous players are the ever presents so far, i don't expect him to get tapped up before May though and I don't think he'll let the standards slip, and most of all I think he see's 3rd/4th as a bit disappointing, much like the 1-1 on sunday afternoon

Great post.

Back