• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

eh? you're using the reason about new systems, managers etc for our poor home performances but you're saying "so what" that the teams that we played poorly against also suffered from the same thing?

ok to answer your question i don't think that's the reason. So you don't find it a little weird we play poorly at home, then good away, then poorly home, then good away, then poorly home..i mean we're missing the same injured players, playing the same formation(for the most part) and have the same manager for these games. We're also missing Lukaa and VDV for those away games just like we're missing them for the home games (another excuse people make).

the jist was that it doesn't matter what the other teams are going through really, does it? you have to look at what is happening in our own house and question whether there is legitimate reasons as to why we are struggling in patches - and for me that is a resounding yes, unquestionably there are reasons for our form. what happens elsewhere doesn't change what happens at Spurs. . .

Im sure someone of your intelligence knows there is a difference between away and home football in terms of how you set up. at home we are expected to impose ourselves on our opponents whereas away we generally are there to react to them - hence the differences we have seen.

as the season has worn on and players have come back from injury/gained match fitness/gelled together we have started to see a rise in performance levels at home, coincidence ?

See what your saying, but away systems and home systems can be very different. We lost our possession / creative players in modric and vdv and also lost their replacement in Dembele to injury. It's those creative players you need at home to unlock teams who sit back and look to hit on the break, away teams don't commit as many players to attack as home teams.

Away from home we have set out to counter attack with pace, we didn't lose any of our pacy players so we've found it easier to keep to those strengths and put in mostly better performances away.

No i don't think that's the reason at all tbh. My personal opinion is that he's playing the wrong tactics at home and is giving the players the wrong instructions generally and has nothing to do with new manager, injuries, etc etc.

Away from home he's got it spot on though.

i hope we that having all the players fit and available now doesn't affect Levy's appetites for new signings. circumstances don't look good though:
- attack: ade isn't in the picture yet, dempsey as auxilary striker
- midfield: ample with utility man dempsey the utility man, parker coming back in, thudd, sandros who is OK on both wings
- defence: plenty in the centre and verts can player LB, kaboul, right
- keepers: probably too many!

Nothing to do with missing modric and vdv then? You just have to see our win ratio and comparative standard of performance with Dembele in the side to see what a difference that type of player makes to us.

the jist was that it doesn't matter what the other teams are going through really, does it? you have to look at what is happening in our own house and question whether there is legitimate reasons as to why we are struggling in patches - and for me that is a resounding yes, unquestionably there are reasons for our form. what happens elsewhere doesn't change what happens at Spurs. . .

Im sure someone of your intelligence knows there is a difference between away and home football in terms of how you set up. at home we are expected to impose ourselves on our opponents whereas away we generally are there to react to them - hence the differences we have seen.

as the season has worn on and players have come back from injury/gained match fitness/gelled together we have started to see a rise in performance levels at home, coincidence ?

coincidence? i don't get your question. Where's this rise of performances at home that you speak of?

Swansea was good because we played 4-4-2..he got it spot on vs Swansea. Liverpool? hmm brick imo, West Ham was good second half and before that was Wigan where it was brick again. One good game doesn't mean performance levels have risen generally.

I'd say that's just your opinion though. West ham we pretty much dominated the whole game, Liverpool we blitzed them for 25 mins then sat back, not pretty, but had we not gone 2 up I don't think the game would have panned out like that. Swansea like you say was good dominant performance again, after the opening few weeks of the season I think AVB has gone 2 up top at home when they were available to him. Also we don't know how fit ade was at the start of the Season, probably not very considering he had no pre season and he'd rule himself out of EL games so we couldn't get games in to him.

coincidence? i don't get your question. Where's this rise of performances at home that you speak of?

Swansea was good because we played 4-4-2..he got it spot on vs Swansea. Liverpool? hmm brick imo, West Ham was good second half and before that was Wigan where it was brick again. One good game doesn't mean performance levels have risen generally.

just by looking at our previous 3 home games compared to the rest i for one can see a marked improvement in performance.

West Ham and Swansea were two solid performances and the Liverpool game from what i have seen was a mixture of a good first half and then defending well to later on to shut them out - not amazing but certainly not bad by any stretch.

it's worth keeping in mind that between the Wigan and West Ham game there was a 3 week spell and as such a natural divide in home fixtures from which to measure the difference

Last edited:
We "blitzed" Liverpool for the first 15 minutes at most imo and then proceeded to get outplayed (remember our second goal was a deflected free kick). Against West Sham i don't think we created anything until Defoe scored on the stroke of HT.

We "blitzed" Liverpool for the first 15 minutes at most imo and then proceeded to get outplayed (remember our second goal was a deflected free kick). Against West Sham i don't think we created anything until Defoe scored on the stroke of HT.

I distinctly remember a couple of mazy runs by Bale and didn't he crack a shot that hit the crossbar?

Last edited:
Like you say that's you opinion, my opinion is we dominated west ham for 80 mins and sat back against Liverpool once we went 2 up. Not sure what your trying to get at by saying it was a deflected free kick?

1. it wasn't deflected - watch again.
2. It was a free kick because Dempsey was taken out from behind when baring down on the centre back. It was a deliberate foul because they knew we were in a very dangerous position again.

i wonder if we'd be having the same kind of discussion if we were mid table but playing well?

facts are we're 4th - overall our form is steadily improving (more so away than at home) players are returning to the side from injury and some poorly performing players are starting to regain their form. whilst you have every right to be unhappy with the home form overall - it just seems to me you're giving it unfair focus, choosing to moan about the bad stuff whilst skimming over the positives.

Last edited:
And not fair focus in general if the west ham game is only rated as 1 good half of football. West ham are no mugs unfortunately, after we beat them they were unlucky to lose away to utd and beat Chelsea, yet our dominant 3-1 win is criticized?

i wonder if we'd be having the same kind of discussion if we were mid table but playing well?

facts are we're 4th - overall our form is steadily improving (more so away than at home) players are returning to the side from injury and some poorly performing players are starting to regain their form. whilst you have every right to be unhappy with the home form overall - it just seems to me you're giving it unfair focus, choosing to moan about the bad stuff whilst skimming over the positives.

No we wouldn't from me.

thing with Arsenal losing RVP is that they replaced him with the French leagues top goal scorer and the German national teams top goal scorer (...i believe) so it isn't as though they have purely lost RVP without replacement, like some are making it sound. they also brought in a player of top class quality in Carzola to strengthen their midfield. Song was allowed to leave rather than forcing a move through so you would have to believe that Wenger thought it was a decent deal in order for him to allow it to go ahead.

in my mind that's a fairly similar set of circumstances to us losing Modric & VdV and replacing them with Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson (id say ours would be a bigger drop in quality overall tbf) - in losing Modric AND VdV in one window i would also say that it has a bigger effect to our style of play than Arsenal losing their main goalscorer, especially when you take in to account the disruption a new manager with new ideas will bring (as opposed to the same manager being there for 17 years or whatever and the continuity that brings) that's even without looking at the injury situation which, again, i also believe we have had a rougher time of than them.

had we had the same starting XI as last year as well as the same manager then i think it would be a lot more realistic to say that we should be aiming to finish above them (or that we are favorites to do so) as it stands i don't think we can say that we should be aiming to pip them to 4th - hopefully we can and it's not an impossible task by any means - but in order to do so i think it will mean us (&AVB) having a great season

This about sums up how I felt when I read through SUIYHA's posts over the last few pages. He has put forward a number of what I think are good points, though in my opinion is that it could be better if he cut down on the use of subjective examples.

Let me recap what I gathered from his posts:
- Scum was an one-man team last season and they lost their "one man"
- Good managers should be able to deal with changes (quoted many examples, most of them with adequate or compensating replacements though, eg. Henry with RVP)
- None of the difficulties faced by AVB are valid as other teams have their problems too
- AVB made some terrible mistakes, most tangibly not doing anything in the first half vs. Scum
- A significant reason why we are in 4th now, is because other teams f*ck-up and got themselves into sh*t

Well, if we consider AVB's managerial opponents (as argued by SUIYHA, the other teams all have their own share of problems and we should not use them as excuses. So, if using that logic, the relative squad strength or club wealth or continuity, injuries, successful/unsuccessful transfers etc would sort of even out, and anyway, good managers should deal with changes) of the sides that neutral fans would expect us to compete with are:
- an UCL winning manager (Chel$ki, later became two UCL winning managers)
- multiple league titles winning manager who had been in the job for decades (Scum)
- experienced and even well respected managers (Everton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine)
- an up and coming manager (Liverpool)

Of the above list, I personally put AVB in the same bracket as Brendan Rodgers of "up and coming", though AVB might have won more trophies but after taking into consideration what happened last season, they are about at the same level.

And yet, as we are closing in on the half-way point, we are only behind Chel$ki in the league table. Taken as awhole, should we not accredit AVB for doing his job thus far, or at least for not f*ck-up like our other league opponents yet? For every sickening Scum/Norwich result, there are equally good ones, such as Man Utd away and Swansea home.

I am not saying AVB is definitely going to be a good/classy manager for us, but it would be nice if we fans can back him by allowing more times and tolerance to him, also hopefully, Levy can also back him by signing our top priority transfer targets. (a lot of "t"!)

Though I won't exaggerated that AVB only got meager support in the transfer market this summer, the fact is our net transfer spending was about even (or even a net surplus depends on the source you use to value Modric's fee, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season). In short, Levy has only allowed our total wages bills to increase slightly (my estimate, not ITK information), and did not really spend extra funds to bring in new players. It would be fair to say a club of our stature should be looking at spending £10-15m at least.

One good thing Levy has done this summer was denying Loserpool the attacking midfielder (first Sigurdsson and later Demps) wanted by Rodgers. Though it has to be pointed out that Loserpool already incurred a net spending of over £15m (conservative estimate) before Fenway refused to sanction an extra £1.5m to get Demps.

Last edited:
André Villas-Boas is a master of communication but not of translation

hehe, I can't wait to go back to the days when our manager would tell his striker to "just fudging run about", use "terriffic" in every sentences and find every opportunity to remind his listeners that "they only have two points from eight games".

Those 4 games we looked utter turd water (minus about the first 35 mins vs WBA where we looked ok). Against QPR, West Sham and Villa we looked ok for one half, against chelski it was ok in patches, and against swansea we looked good. That's what i hope we improve on.

Not trying to defend AVB's every moves or decisions.

But the examples you have quoted above:
- QPR, Spammers and Villa were all after we played mid-week Europa League games and we won all three games.
- WBA was the second game of the season, and later turned out they were quite a compact unit
- Chel$ki game was after the Poland-England game was delayed (we have Bale who missed the game at the very last minute and Terry and Cole withdrew/internal suspension and didn't have to play for England)

We were outplayed by Man Utd and Liverpool, well, we were also defending what most teams regarded as a healthy lead (not Spurs). And my Man Utd supporting mate actually thought despite losing at home to us, they have their best game of the season! He is right, that's also the first game Rooney-RVP played together.

No excuse for Norwich and Wigan games (eventhough Guardian wrote some articles on Wigan/Martinez on how underrated they were in the aftermath of their win, quoting examples of how Wigan beating Liverpool/Manure/Scum/Saudi Sportswashing Machine in quick succession towards the end of last season).

Last edited:
Well it seems to me from reading the recent pages of this thread , it's our performances that are the gripe with some of us .

I look at the current top six:

Man Utd
Emirates Marketing Project
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton

And I then think that of these club's fans , bar Everton, there would be plenty that would be complaining about the level of their own team's performances. I do feel of the other five, we have the least to complain about, all things considered.

I hear you, we've lost players, but are you saying that means we still aren't good enough to be beating Norwich, WBA and Wigan at home? We were outplayed for large parts of each game. Even with all the players we've lost, were a top 4 contender and a top 6 side at worst, were not some struggling midtable team. As for giving him two seasons, I agree, but that doesn't mean we should just brush it off when we get outplayed at home by inferior teams.

We lost comprehensively to Man Utd and Emirates Marketing Project when Modric's head wasn't right. I guess this is as close to how I could best describe the importance of Modric or a Modric-type player to our team and the managers (both 'Arry and AVB).

I would take out WBA game from the three games you have mentioned. With hindsight, it's really unfortunate we didn't start with a tougher schedule on paper. We met Saudi Sportswashing Machine and WBA when we were not ready for the season (be it new manager, incomplete transfer dealings, we would have lost to QPR/Reading had we played them that early)

Well it seems to me from reading the recent pages of this thread , it's our performances that are the gripe with some of us .

I look at the current top six:

Man Utd
Emirates Marketing Project
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton

And I then think that of these club's fans , bar Everton, there would be plenty that would be complaining about the level of their own team's performances. I do feel of the other five, we have the least to complain about, all things considered.

So, it's inspite of having AVB as our manager or credit to AVB?

We are Spurs. We just have to find something to complain. ;)

Back