• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

4-4-2

He's been playing centrally behind the striker, seemingly with the instruction to link play and break in to the box - try looking at his performances rather than just his goals scored tally and you'll see a player who is dropping deep to link with the central two as much as he is playing behind the forward - swapping positions with the left sided player also at times too - but as he's grabbing the headlines for his goals and combined with the fact we know him as a forward then it's easy to understand where the missunderstanding lies.

He's been playing centrally behind the striker, seemingly with the instruction to link play and break in to the box - try looking at his performances rather than just his goals scored tally and you'll see a player who is dropping deep to link with the central two as much as he is playing behind the forward - swapping positions with the left sided player also at times too - but as he's grabbing the headlines for his goals and combined with the fact we know him as a forward then it's easy to understand where the missunderstanding lies.

I agree with the bolded bit. The point I am making is that a person plays differently as part of a twin strike force than as part of a AM three. For example, when playing with another striker, one looks at their position, their runs and their intentions first and foremost and adapt accordingly. Similarly, an AM needs to be primarily aware of the positions of the other two AMs (especially in a defensive context) and be more aware of the horizontical positional play than the vertical.

This explains the difference that when we play with three AMs we lose so much vertical penetration. Harry, as part of a twin strike force, provides this extra vertical penetration. Hence it is no accident that there are more goals when we play in this way.

A striker is a striker and an AM is an AM. A truism, yes but apparently not recognised as such by some.

As others have said, Kane is NOT an AM. He is a striker. His goal instincts, abilities and the areas he takes up define him as such. For all those thinking he is a player that can play in the centre of three AMs are just ignoring the facts of how he plays. It is not where you line up at kick off that is important, the key is the role one plays.

In my view, the role of a central AM is quite different from that of a support, withdrawn or second striker (or whatever else one wishes to call it). Their movement is different, their priorities in creativity, defending and goal scoring are also quite distinct.

Make no mistake, Kane is the former, not the latter.

How about when Kane played wide left as a part of the attacking midfield trio. Still a striker?

What's the difference between Kane as a "number 10" and someone like Sigurdsson playing the same role? Or perhaps VdV? Is it just the number of goals, or how much a player gets into a position that matters? Mason apparently scored a ****ton of goals playing as a striker/forward for the youth team. Move him up to a number 10 role and I suppose he's a striker too? Or has he been playing as a midfielder for too long?

I think you severely underestimate Harry Kane if you think he's so limited that he's incapable of playing different roles at different times.

----------------

I see no reason to think that it would be sound for Poch to change his ways. He occasionally plays with what he considers two strikers, like he did against Arsenal with Chadli playing as one of the strikers (another player capable of playing different roles). Poch is capable of changing it up, often does so with his subs, but he frequently returns to his preferred formation. From what I think I remember reading about him he's less focused on the formation anyway and more on the system - and rightly so. Poch should be focused on making this team work with his system, it might take some time, but I do think we're moving in the right direction.

How about when Kane played wide left as a part of the attacking midfield trio. Still a striker?

What's the difference between Kane as a "number 10" and someone like Sigurdsson playing the same role? Or perhaps VdV? Is it just the number of goals, or how much a player gets into a position that matters? Mason apparently scored a ****ton of goals playing as a striker/forward for the youth team. Move him up to a number 10 role and I suppose he's a striker too? Or has he been playing as a midfielder for too long?

I think you severely underestimate Harry Kane if you think he's so limited that he's incapable of playing different roles at different times.

----------------

I see no reason to think that it would be sound for Poch to change his ways. He occasionally plays with what he considers two strikers, like he did against Arsenal with Chadli playing as one of the strikers (another player capable of playing different roles). Poch is capable of changing it up, often does so with his subs, but he frequently returns to his preferred formation. From what I think I remember reading about him he's less focused on the formation anyway and more on the system - and rightly so. Poch should be focused on making this team work with his system, it might take some time, but I do think we're moving in the right direction.

See my response above. It is all about vertical penetration when he plays as a twin striker.

I haven't seen all the games, but from what I can ascertain, he has indeed played as a support striker sometimes. It is just that Kane as a proper orthodox striker would play this role better IMO. Particularly against the lesser teams at home where we need more vertical penetration than we are getting currently from our three current AMs.

See my response above. It is all about vertical penetration when he plays as a twin striker.

As much as Paulinho? He's one of the better players we have at making runs into the box. Lampard was/is excellent/better at this too, can't remember anyone claiming that he was a striker because of his "vertical penetration"...

As much as Paulinho? He's one of the better players we have at making runs into the box. Lampard was/is excellent/better at this too, can't remember anyone claiming that he was a striker because of his "vertical penetration"...

You seem to be confused with an AM and a support striker. Aguero and Dzeko, Rooney and Van Persie, Berbs and Keane. These are examples of twin strikers. Funnily enough, they were successful too.

Proper vertical penetration.

It was also your opinion we played 442 away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and for the majority of Sherwoods time - and you've also admitted to not watching many full games this season - how many of Kanes appearences have you watched in full?

It was also your opinion we played 442 away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and for the majority of Sherwoods time - and you've also admitted to not watching many full games this season - how many of Kanes appearences have you watched in full?

Did you see Pochs comments in the papers today? He was bracketing Kane with Ade and Soldado - so clearly he sees him as a striker otherwise he would have bracketed him with Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli. How do you explain that?

Havent seen the interview so can't comment atm

Any chance of letting us know how many of the EL games you've watched in full?

Cheers - Are there any quotes where he talks about how he has played Kane in the cups so far rather than how the supporters are calling for him to start in front of Adebayor or Soldado?

Would mean more if we knew what the question was. In terms of playing as a striker in the future he can learn from those two obviously.

Cheers - Are there any quotes where he talks about how he has played Kane in the cups so far rather than how the supporters are calling for him to start in front of Adebayor or Soldado?

The fact that he brackets him with Ade and Soldado is the telling point.

In terms of playing as a striker in the future he can learn from those two obviously.

If I had posted this week that, despite the fact he's English, Kane shouldn't start, and that he needs to learn from Ade, what response would that have met with?

Last edited:
Would mean more if we knew what the question was. In terms of playing as a striker in the future he can learn from those two obviously.

Poch says " Roberto and Ade have a lot of experience. The energy Harry brings is important - it is good for him to learn from Soldado and Adebayor "

No mention of him "learning" from Paulinho (!) or any other of our AMs!

Poch clearly sees him as a striker. Why would he then use him as an AM?

Back