• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

4-4-2

Re: The Lennon, The Bentaleb and the Wonky

I'm not sure it was the formation (Kane was playing largely where Eriksen does normally anyway)

But the Mason-Bentaleb combination at CM was fantastic. We haven't had such good transitioning since Modric.

As I just said elsewhere:

No passengers fannying around in a "3 behind the striker" like you get in a 4231... everyone in a 442 clearly has a role and cannot hide so you end up with more running, more work, better passing angles, fewer 5 yard passes...

It may not sound cultured or clever, but in a 442 (whether wonky or not) every player clearly knows what area of the pitch is their responsibility, as opposed to 532 or 4231 where people can hide without the ball, or with the ball you end up with people too close together and lots of short passes going nowhere.

Note that Everton played 4231 and played just like Spurs normally do, they couldn't get it in to the front men and weren't working hard enough, the "3" were not good enough in their 4231

I'm not sure it was the formation (Kane was playing largely where Eriksen does normally anyway)

But the Mason-Bentaleb combination at CM was fantastic. We haven't had such good transitioning since Modric.

This, I thought they were both outstanding

loved the way Bentaleb and Mason kept things ticking over no wasted touches makes such a difference than when we see Dembele or Capoue in there

As I just said elsewhere:

No passengers fannying around in a "3 behind the striker" like you get in a 4231... everyone in a 442 clearly has a role and cannot hide so you end up with more running, more work, better passing angles, fewer 5 yard passes...

It may not sound cultured or clever, but in a 442 (whether wonky or not) every player clearly knows what area of the pitch is their responsibility, as opposed to 532 or 4231 where people can hide without the ball, or with the ball you end up with people too close together and lots of short passes going nowhere.

Note that Everton played 4231 and played just like Spurs normally do, they couldn't get it in to the front men and weren't working hard enough, the "3" were not good enough in their 4231

Pie and chips beats tapas and paella every time IMHO

Yep, Bentaleb and Mason were excellent today, and Bentaleb in particular given it was his first start for a couple months. Those two, plus Carroll, are in my view much better suited (and better in alot of ways generally) compared to our 4 supposedly senior CMs: Paulinho, Dembele, Stambo and Capoue. Would like to see those four gradually sold, starting with Paulinho and Capoue

regarding the formation, whilst people might call it 4-4-2, to me it was more 4-4-1-1 as kane was generally 10-20 yards deeper than Soldado who was always our fursthest man forward. There's obviously not a huge difference between 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1 but the latter gives more width and we looked far better today than in any game this season.

Hopefully Poch sticks with today's formation and personnel and starts to ship out the rubbish: Ade, Kaboul, Naughton, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches....

Pie and chips beats tapas and paella every time IMHO

I actually think the smart thing to do is to play slightly different at WHL, or on tighter pitches like Hull's seemed to be. In these instances, playing Lennon on the right means we can play the type of game that allows us to take advantage of a smaller pitch, in that before you know it, we have burst down the pitch and we're in on goal. It's likely why we worked so well under Harry in that we had both Bale and Lennon doing this. So I think we should always have Lennon on the right, or Andros on the left at home.

Away, especially at the bigger pitches, I think we can play the likes of Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli in behind Soldado and do it well. We've still been good away these last few years which I think shows our players have taken on the 'tapas and paella' coaching. But at home we've still been poor, and I think playing a slow tempo on a small pitch means shooting ourselves in the foot. Trying to play intricate passes into a wildly congested area doesn't help the team when we could play quick in transition.

I'd like to think that was somewhat Poch's thinking today. It really was a good performance and you could see Everton were the aimless passers trying to work it intricately in congested areas while we looked like we had purpose. Neville mentioned it a lot.

I actually think the smart thing to do is to play slightly different at WHL, or on tighter pitches like Hull's seemed to be. In these instances, playing Lennon on the right means we can play the type of game that allows us to take advantage of a smaller pitch, in that before you know it, we have burst down the pitch and we're in on goal. It's likely why we worked so well under Harry in that we had both Bale and Lennon doing this. So I think we should always have Lennon on the right, or Andros on the left at home.

Away, especially at the bigger pitches, I think we can play the likes of Lamela, Eriksen and Chadli in behind Soldado and do it well. We've still been good away these last few years which I think shows our players have taken on the 'tapas and paella' coaching. But at home we've still been poor, and I think playing a slow tempo on a small pitch means shooting ourselves in the foot. Trying to play intricate passes into a wildly congested area doesn't help the team when we could play quick in transition.

I'd like to think that was somewhat Poch's thinking today. It really was a good performance and you could see Everton were the aimless passers trying to work it intricately in congested areas while we looked like we had purpose. Neville mentioned it a lot.

worked today, to me because of

- Workrate - Bentaleb, Mason, Lennon, Kane, Soldado bring a lot of effort to the game
- Width - Lennon really makes a difference here (AS Wonky)
- Threat - Soldado/Kane/Eriksen/Lennon together rmake a lot of runs, pull defenders, much harder to defend against
- Shape - Without the ball we made it very difficult for Everton in our half, I haven't seen a Spurs team do that well in a long time.

I agree. I think that the major difference was the hunger of the ex-academy players and Lennon. Some of our one touch passing was mind blowing at times and I was very happy to see us see out the game with "professional" play.

I would be happy to see the same team line up again.

My team that is getting laughed out of town in about 15 different threads is...:lol:

fitness permitting

----------------------------------------lloris (only 1 choice here)
walker(runs the right flank)---dier(young, can head it)----fazio(older, can head it)---rose(been good so far)
eriksen (a wonky drifter, Walker has got the flank)----Bentaleb(sit n pass)----Mason (keep doing well)---Townsend(width n pace for the left)
-------------------------------------------Kane(keep on keeping on)-----chadli(goes wide, goes deep, scores. plays like he did v Arsenal away)

Pace and Width = Walker on the right, Townsend on the left
Eriksen/Bentaleb/Mason will make the play
Chadli and Kane will provide the finishing touches (who else is gonna?)
Fazio/Dier/Rose = defend and keep it simple

bumped for African Spurs! I made a decent cal on the midfield (though please don't bump all the threads where I made sh1t calls, you'l be here all night!)

I agree. I think that the major difference was the hunger of the ex-academy players and Lennon. Some of our one touch passing was mind blowing at times and I was very happy to see us see out the game with "professional" play.

I would be happy to see the same team line up again.

I thought some of our professional play was downright nasty and vicious and it absolutely delighted me that at last we have players who want to win matches and if it hurts the opposition all the better.

I thought some of our professional play was downright nasty and vicious and it absolutely delighted me that at last we have players who want to win matches and if it hurts the opposition all the better.

We will need to be very 'professional' to get anything out of our midweek game

Holding my hand up here, didn't think Kane could do the defensive job required of the #10 to compete in a 442. Glad I'm wrong

Please please PLEEAASE coach stick with this type of formation!!!!!!

Similar approach to what we had against Arsenal. Sit back, counter attack, wait for them to make mistakes. Worked well then and brilliantly today.

Agreed about Mason-Bentaleb!

Wonder if Poch will send out a similar team against Chelsea. Would be a big ask from those two in particular, at the same time very few players deserve to be dropped/rotated. Some decision.

Either way I'm looking forward to the next Mason-Bentaleb start. Could be even better against teams where we dominate possession and could be a huge part of the answer for our goalscoring and chance creating problems.

Lennon was excellent, we certainly need him with any of our reserve right-backs. When Walker comes back, I'd fancy Eriksen to drift in from the right instead of the left, with Walker running that flank behind him and providing width. With Rose or Davies used as a defensive left-back, you could then use Townsend or Lamela on the left side to give us the width down that flank (and use Lennon in games where we want to be a bit extra defensive in the wide positions).

I still also think that Chadli and Kane upfront could be the combo that does most damage, though of course Soldaddy has earnt his place with his efforts and the goal today. Longer term though, I think Chadli and Kane could be an absolute pair of beasts upfront causing all sorts of problems for the opposition.

Also, both Fazio and Vertonghen were excellent today I thought, as was young Davies.

We will need to be very 'professional' to get anything out of our midweek game

I am a proper old school tottenham fan I like playing passing football with attacking flair, but I would sell my house and give the proceeds to any player who did a two footed tackle on John Terry.

Of all his crimes the one that ****es me of most is him selling tours of Chelsea's training ground and saying he was going to give the money to charity and then kept it for himself. He epitomises everything Chelsea stands for the man is scum I hate him and he has made anyone who tries to raise money for charity questionable. He should be in jail, I would love to see his career ended on the football pitch he is sub human.

Also, both Fazio and Vertonghen were excellent today I thought, as was young Davies.

Agreed. Fazio and Vertonghen are making themselves first choice now and Davies is improving very nicely after a less important first couple of months. Has at least made it difficult for Rose to reclaim his starting spot, that's good going considering Rose has been doing rather well this season.

Back