• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lack of patience seems the biggest problem. Last time against Italy we created virtually nothing, this time we created a lot of chances and dangerous situations. The players just seemed too ready to take the shot when a chance arose, any chance, and too many were pulled wide. A couple of long shots by Johnson in particular wasted dangerous developing situations. Italy created less, even with their advantage against our left, they were just more clinical. Essentially it was one good goal each and a party trick.

While the selections were bold it was essentially a 4-2-4. We had three forwards in the quarterback line. Italy in possession would start very deep drawing the England players at them and leaving more space in the middle and on their right. The second Italy goal started with a rollout by their keeper near the corner flag, then they passed it around a bit before moving it forward into the midfield space. With only two in the middle we had no one to help Baines, so the CBs drifted. I've know idea why Johnson was missing as this was not being caught on the break.

i thought England looked pretty decent last night - close to being an actual team for the first time in about 10 years.

**** Rooney and Gerrard off though, the last of the golden generation are holding them back

I say well played England, Lots of positives for me and as Henry said if the game had ended 2-2 then no-one would have said it wasn't a fair result. Sterling has matured so much, what a performance, Sturridge led the line very well and a superb finish for his goal.

The main disappointment was Baines. Even during the warm up games and for Everton towards the end of the season it seems he lost his form. Hopefully he rediscovers it soon.

I think that it would be harsh to criticise Baines too much. He had no support on the left hand side which meant that he couldn't risk going forwards and quite often it was 2 against 1 when he was defending.

@GaryLineker 9m

Of the 14 teams we have seen so far, England had more shots on goal than any of them. Needless to say, conversion rate was not in the top 10

Even more stunning is that England's passing accuracy ranks 2nd, just behind Italy, but ahead of Spain, Holland and Brazil. Go boys!

Here's another beauty. For passing accuracy in the opposition's half, England come out on top. Stats exclude crosses where England are last

I actually cannot get over Italy having 93% pass completion. That is UNREAL.

Potential winners?

@GaryLineker 9m

Of the 14 teams we have seen so far, England had more shots on goal than any of them. Needless to say, conversion rate was not in the top 10

Even more stunning is that England's passing accuracy ranks 2nd, just behind Italy, but ahead of Spain, Holland and Brazil. Go boys!

Here's another beauty. For passing accuracy in the opposition's half, England come out on top. Stats exclude crosses where England are last
I'm still working my way through the Numbers Game

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0670922242?pc_redir=1402684197&robot_redir=1

They say in there that there is little or no correlation between the number of shots and the number of goals a team scores. In fact, more often than not the team with the less shots wins a game.

BqKkIeJIEAAVMhe.jpg

This thread is littered with people ****ging off our players whilst sucking off Pirlo and gushing over him. We seem to be the only nation who is hell bent on ****ging off players and jumping on players backs whilst praising other nations left right and centre. I dont get it.

England 2014 mate and the legacy of Blair, it used to bemuse me now I am used to it.

Wheelchair was completely useless when he came on. I remember him trying to run past half the Italian defence and losing the ball in the process! That's never been his game, why try now, against a side like Italy??!! Clueless!!

Wheelchair was completely useless when he came on. I remember him trying to run past half the Italian defence and losing the ball in the process! That's never been his game, why try now, against a side like Italy??!! Clueless!!

turning point of the game for me - Italy took a hold of what was a fairly even game up until then

I think the Italy-England match proved the mental shortcomings of England. Thought England did well to pressure Italy in the first half but completely gave up after Italy scored their 2nd goal. Pirlo did well to put the pressure on England. I think all the England players were scared of Pirlo as they didn't try to tackle him. It was funny to see Balotelli coming back to haunt England again. Never thought he would score the winning goal. Pirlo was unlucky not to score through his brilliant freekick.

It seems like Uruguay and Spurs have something in common. Both are leaving by past glory. Uruguay always comes with high expectations and end up going back as flops. Never thought they will lose to Costa Rica. Even without Suarez, they have no business losing to a team like Costa Rica who don't have any top class players. It is clear, if not for Uruguay winning the 1930 and 1950 WCs, no one will even bother talking about them.

Last edited:
turning point of the game for me - Italy took a hold of what was a fairly even game up until then

Wtf had Woy seen in his totally anonymous displays in the warm up matches to lead him to think bringing him on would serve any purpose? Very odd decision.

Wtf had Woy seen in his totally anonymous displays in the warm up matches to lead him to think bringing him on would serve any purpose? Very odd decision.

I agree, its not even as if he has played well or much at all recently, I know we dont see them train but I cant believe JW has been tearing it up there

England have only themselves to blame for not picking any Spurs players. I am convinced Defoe could have had more effect than Rooney.

Wouldve been better off bringing on Lampard rather than Wheelchair

i forget who he replaced now but seem to remember thinking the player gong off should have been staying on... Gerrard and then Rooney should have been subbed off for Barkley and Lallana.

i forget who he replaced now but seem to remember thinking the player gong off should have been staying on... Gerrard and then Rooney should have been subbed off for Barkley and Lallana.

Wheelchair came on for Henderson (73)
Lallana came on for Sturridge (79)
Barkley came on for Wellbeck (61)

yeah that's it, Wellbeck was playing well, defending from the front and creating chances/linking up well with the midfield - was a very strange choice of player to take off. should have taken Gerrard off for Barkley at that point as he had become a passenger.

Sturridge took a bit of a knock so can understand that, although id have brought Lallana on for Rooney much earlier.

Wheelchair was totally un needed on the pitch and never should have came on

yeah that's it, Wellbeck was playing well, defending from the front and creating chances/linking up well with the midfield - was a very strange choice of player to take off. should have taken Gerrard off for Barkley at that point as he had become a passenger.

Sturridge took a bit of a knock so can understand that, although id have brought Lallana on for Rooney much earlier.

Wheelchair was totally un needed on the pitch and never should have came on

Well lets hope Roy has seen what everybody else has and will take note for the Uruguay game

Back