• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Last autumn was a purple patch for the entire team of sorts. A lot of things were going our way, confidence oozing in the players, mood couldn't have been better.

This season compared to the second half of last season I think we have improved our performances, but not our results so far.

Hmm, i'm struggling to be able to single out any individual players that have improved actually....they seem to all have remained stagnant or gone backwards (save for the youngsters or new players...)

The reaction across the fan base since Sunday has surprised me. I know it's Woolwich and I know results-wise things haven't been great so far. But it's been 4 bloody games of this season and we've been a great watch in 3 of them IMO. Let's stick with it. Give Ange the season at a minimum. Bring in someone new and the season will likely be a write off anyway.

There is no upside to twisting again. Ange can still get us top 4 or top 6.

It feels like a lot of people have made their minds up and any bad result will be used as a springboard to sound off regardless of the matches themselves.

I'm not sold on Ange at all but as @harr1984 says in his post the games have been fine margins so far this season, Arsenal game was a draw all day long on balance of play and the reaction from some quarters are as though we got pumped.

It feels like a lot of people have made their minds up and any bad result will be used as a springboard to sound off regardless of the matches themselves.

I'm not sold on Ange at all but as @harr1984 says in his post the games have been fine margins so far this season, Arsenal game was a draw all day long on balance of play and the reaction from some quarters are as though we got pumped.

Balanced and agreed

Tbf we've been making our minds up all year, not as if it's been a bad month.
We all saw the problems last year and it didn't seem to been addressed in preseason performance's or in the few games so far. While it's a bad look to drop supposed captains, in Cuti and Maddison's case I think it's totally justified. You like your leaders to set an example, backwards and sideways passing, switching off isn't it.

You really don't like a difference of opinion do you Tommy?

Maybe he means a turn around from the midtable form of the last 32 games.

By the way, I do back Ange and hope he succeeds but the concerns people have are genuine.

Why do I need to like different opinions? Why can't I challenge them?

He won the FA Cup in his first season. That gives him more credit than Ange.

TBH though I think it would be more healthier if we concentrated on being Spurs and forging our own path rather than the continuous looking over the fence and comparisons to others. Unlikely any two clubs journeys are the same, I think we should just be us and see how it goes.

Ange has credit in the Spurs bank for other reasons that Arteta would at Arsenal purely because we are not them and we have no recent success to have the same expectations.

I read back on here from a year ago and to a man the sensible ones knew it was going to be a build and maybe steps back before forward, yeh we can be concerned but there are no levels of Nuno and Co here yet IMO. I give Ange credit in the bank because the entire structure has been changed from youth upwards to support his methods, nonsense to throw it in the bin after a year, would be Spurs to a tee doing that.

So you can challenge other people's opinions, but when they challenge yours you take your ball home?

Right you are.

I love it when people challenge my opinions. But tonight I've read that Sonny has been stinking the place out and Ange needs to turn it around after FOUR games. I can read that level of discourse on social media, so rather than letting it wind me up I choose to switch off sometimes.

My worry is that the more 'established' players have lost faith in the system more and more as time has gone on...
In fact, no-one seems to have improved since last Autumn, save for maybe Richarlison when he went on his purple patch, and even that might be debatable (as in whether he 'improved' as such...)
They're certainly not playing what I was led to believe 'Angeball' was. Why that might be the case is the biggest question of all.

I love it when people challenge my opinions. But tonight I've read that Sonny has been stinking the place out and Ange needs to turn it around after FOUR games. I can read that level of discourse on social media, so rather than letting it wind me up I choose to switch off sometimes.
Son hasn't been anywhere near his best for months. We have 44 points from our last 32 games. We have lost 7 of our last 11 games. We are no fun to watch. There are certainly causes for concern.

Not many are saying sack the manager, but they are absolutely entitled to ask questions at this stage. This time in a month we may have seen enough to make us all think things are getting better - but for now who in their right mind wouldn't be wondering a bit?

They're certainly not playing what I was led to believe 'Angeball' was. Why that might be the case is the biggest question of all.
I think this is happening.
They seem to be getting frustrated with the system. Maddison in particular appears particularly unhappy. The inversion of the full backs reduces the space he has to find the key passes.

Son hasn't been anywhere near his best for months. We have 44 points from our last 32 games. We have lost 7 of our last 11 games. We are no fun to watch. There are certainly causes for concern.

Not many are saying sack the manager, but they are absolutely entitled to ask questions at this stage. This time in a month we may have seen enough to make us all think things are getting better - but for now who in their right mind wouldn't be wondering a bit?
Yes, we have been on a downward trajectory since the Chelsea home game last season.....we were top, the system got sussed we dropped to fifth.....we are now looking like a mid-table outfit. So we do need a turnaround.

Of course we may go on a run of good results and I agree that we play some nice football. But its not effective. We flatter to deceive.

TBF Angeball isn't what he said his style was, that's the issue with titles like Angeball and Bazball is when things go wrong people take exception to it, but in fairness they are media and fan invented terms, Ange is just Ange, anything else is just made up nonsense

I must say, a lot of reactions on here have surprised me. We have made costly defensive mistakes, and still need to improve and be more decisive in the final third. But in spite of this, we should have beaten Leicester, smashed Everton, should have at the very least taken a point at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and wasn't really anything in it against the Goons. Yes, should have would have could have doesn't cut it, I'm not trying to make excuses but to me these are very fine lines that haven't gone our way, 4 games in, and over a course of a season these things flip and even itself out.

If there wasn't any green shoots, or any reason for encouragement I'd be the first to question where we are going but I really think things are going OTT here....

I wish i could say that i am surprised by some of the reactions sadly i am not the truth is that there are a lot of fans in todays game who expect everything to happen overnight and if it does not then they question the manager. As you say its only 4 games into the season and there are fans who are up in arms at the results.

Sadly there are some fans who are far to quick to judge our performances, as you say IF the luck had gone our way we could have at least three wins instead of just the one. As you say a lot of OTT.
I

That team was actually on the wane by that point; they’d already had years of being a real force.

They came with a game plan, which they executed perfectly. They were happy to let us have the ball in most areas of the pitch because they were confident we wouldn’t do much with it. I didn’t see them ‘hanging on’ at any stage.

And yet no club he went out on loan to wanted to keep him, and nobody else wanted to buy him.
No one bought Oshimen either, despite him publicly wanting out, and being one of the best strikers in the world, so it wasn't because he's brick, as you are implying about Reguilon.
There could be lots of reasons why he didn't find a new club. But you're determined it's because he's not good enough, and rule out any of the other 1000s of possible reasons.
People In here were perfectly fine with him when he was a regular, apart from lacking end product, but all of a sudden he's become not worthy of playing League two it seems.

I wish i could say that i am surprised by some of the reactions sadly i am not the truth is that there are a lot of fans in todays game who expect everything to happen overnight and if it does not then they question the manager. As you say its only 4 games into the season and there are fans who are up in arms at the results.

Sadly there are some fans who are far to quick to judge our performances, as you say IF the luck had gone our way we could have at least three wins instead of just the one. As you say a lot of OTT.
I
How can I like this post more than once?

I
I think questioning is fair but, like you say, some of the reactions have been well OTT.

What kind of gets on my nerves a bit is holding Ange or Levy to an impossible standard. We've been around for 142 years. We've won 17 trophies (between the league, FA Cup and League Cup and Europe). That's one trophy every 8 years which was about 1 in 7.4 years before ENIC arrived.

We've never been prolific, we've never been perennial title challengers. Of course, we should aspire to better but people need to be realistic about where we are, where we've come from and what we are competing against.

Back