• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I'm a little concerned about the extreme reactions at the moment from the euphoria of winning to the booing at half time on Tuesday to some of the stuff I've seen online. Our fan base seems to be very polarised at the moment which, given the events of the last 4 years, isn't that surprising I guess.
With what goes on from week to week between matches on SM, talkbrick etc...is it surprising?

It's a consumption frenzy, leading to over sensitization, about things that might happen, aren't happening or plainly weren't even a thing in the first place.

And what for......sadly, so some people can rake some coin.

Last edited:
I agree. I’ve seen people arguing we will/should be pushing for the top 4 which I think is a little unrealistic personally. We’ve just lost a world class striker who contributed roughly 25 league goals every season. It does look like we have improved in other areas which is promising. I would say top 6 is more realistic. I for one won’t be calling for his head if we finish 8th like we did last season. As long as there are encouraging signs and it looks like we are going in the right direction.

On the subject of the lineup against Fulham, I think Ange got it wrong. The club needs a trophy and this competition arguably represented our best chance of winning silverware this season.
The carabao cup doesn’t have a great reputation but it’s far from easy to win, only Emirates Marketing Project, Man U, Chelsea & Liverpool have won it in the past 10 years. In the FA cup add Arsenal and Leicester to the above. By far the biggest chance of us picking up an “easy” trophy would be the European Conference league and I can’t understand why some people wanted us to avoid Europe altogether this year. Maybe it’ll pay off in terms of league position, let’s see.

With what goes on from week to week between matches on SM, talkbrick etc...is it surprising?

It's a consumption frenzy, leading to over sensitization, about things that might happen, aren't happening or plainly weren't even a thing in the first place.

Yeah I guess, to be fair, I’ve seen some pretty extreme reactions to say United and Chelsea’s starts too. That fudgewit, Adrian Durham was having a pop at ETH after 2 games where they’d won 1, albeit fortuitously and lost one (away to us).

There seems to be issues at United but it was 2 games in after a good season last year. The issue I have with Durham is that he made a believable case but piled on using a negative spin anywhere he could. Nothing positive, no balance which feeds into agendas and knee jerking. It’s irresponsible, lowest common denominator stuff.

Yeah I guess, to be fair, I’ve seen some pretty extreme reactions to say United and Chelsea’s starts too. That fudgewit, Adrian Durham was having a pop at ETH after 2 games where they’d won 1, albeit fortuitously and lost one (away to us).

There seems to be issues at United but it was 2 games in after a good season last year. The issue I have with Durham is that he made a believable case but piled on using a negative spin anywhere he could. Nothing positive, no balance which feeds into agendas and knee jerking. It’s irresponsible, lowest common denominator stuff.
Adrian Durham....the godfather of hyperbole, outrage and wind-up.

I agree. I’ve seen people arguing we will/should be pushing for the top 4 which I think is a little unrealistic personally. We’ve just lost a world class striker who contributed roughly 25 league goals every season. It does look like we have improved in other areas which is promising. I would say top 6 is more realistic. I for one won’t be calling for his head if we finish 8th like we did last season. As long as there are encouraging signs and it looks like we are going in the right direction.

On the subject of the lineup against Fulham, I think Ange got it wrong. The club needs a trophy and this competition arguably represented our best chance of winning silverware this season.

My thoughts as well and i said before the game we should not make to many changes. To be honest we/I know there is a lot of work for him to turn us into a top team again and it will not happen overnight. I do not see us finishing in the top four at all and i agree that a top 6th-8th place will be a good start. My remarks about making too many changes is because if we could have made it through and gone on to challenge for a cup it would have been a major improvment and shown we were on the right lines.

Yep, and you can apply the same method and outcomes to politics and effectively any social or cultural issue.

If the club wants a trophy they would have gotten someone with more experience, kept Conte happy or let mourinho leave after the final.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

My thoughts as well and i said before the game we should not make to many changes. To be honest we/I know there is a lot of work for him to turn us into a top team again and it will not happen overnight. I do not see us finishing in the top four at all and i agree that a top 6th-8th place will be a good start. My remarks about making too many changes is because if we could have made it through and gone on to challenge for a cup it would have been a major improvment and shown we were on the right lines.

Hindsight says mistake, if we had managed to put away a chance and scraped a 2-1, there would be no conversation.

Personally I think mistake, but hopefully he learns, he learns more about the players when it matters and we move on.

Fans really need to see this season as a rebuild (Son is the only player in starting lineup here for more than 2 full seasons), I think we can do 6th but even that will be an accomplishment.

Hindsight says mistake, if we had managed to put away a chance and scraped a 2-1, there would be no conversation.

Personally I think mistake, but hopefully he learns, he learns more about the players when it matters and we move on.

Fans really need to see this season as a rebuild (Son is the only player in starting lineup here for more than 2 full seasons), I think we can do 6th but even that will be an accomplishment.
It wasnt hindsight, most people on here said when the team lineups were announced that is too many changes, it just seldom works not just at Spurs but any club.

It was a clear and obvious mistake, and had we scraped through people would still be saying Ange got away with one there. No one is going in on him too hard, its really difficult for him because with no European football he has to give those on the fringes some minutes otherwise they will not be ready if and when needed in the league and also obviously to keep them happy and the squad as one in harmony.

But - With so little opportunities for a trophy this season and playing a PL team this was not really the time for wholesale changes. It's just disappointing, but we are still all aboard the Ange train and what he is doing. Onwards and upwards.....

It wasnt hindsight, most people on here said when the team lineups were announced that is too many changes, it just seldom works not just at Spurs but any club.

It was a clear and obvious mistake, and had we scraped through people would still be saying Ange got away with one there. No one is going in on him too hard, its really difficult for him because with no European football he has to give those on the fringes some minutes otherwise they will not be ready if and when needed in the league and also obviously to keep them happy and the squad as one in harmony.

But - With so little opportunities for a trophy this season and playing a PL team this was not really the time for wholesale changes. It's just disappointing, but we are still all aboard the Ange train and what he is doing. Onwards and upwards.....
I agree with all of that.
It's hypothetical but let us assume he only made three changes instead of nine and that we won.
Then he gets to make a different three changes against Incest City and, again, let's assume we win.
Next round, he gets to make another three changes, which brings us up to the magic number of nine.
Even if we then get knocked out, we've looked at nine players in a largely settled side, earnt a few bob and kept trophy dreams alive for a bit longer.
Lots of assumptions in there and maybe Ange really needed to look at nine players before the deadline but I like my alternative reality better [emoji2]

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Fapatalk

I do agree with you, my worry is that IF we go out of competitions ( the cups early) and fail to finish in the top 8 we will have some of our fan base ( the muppets) screaming for yet another manager change. I am not saying we could/would have won the cup but the longer we could stay in them the less crying from a section of our support would happen.

I agree with all of that.
It's hypothetical but let us assume he only made three changes instead of nine and that we won.
Then he gets to make a different three changes against Incest City and, again, let's assume we win.
Next round, he gets to make another three changes, which brings us up to the magic number of nine.
Even if we then get knocked out, we've looked at nine players in a largely settled side, earnt a few bob and kept trophy dreams alive for a bit longer.
Lots of assumptions in there and maybe Ange really needed to look at nine players before the deadline but I like my alternative reality better [emoji2]

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Fapatalk
I make three changes in the morning
I make three changes at night
I make three changes in the afternoon
It makes me feel all right
I make three changes in time of peace
And three in time of war
I make three changes before I make three changes
And then I make three more

Interesting. At about 5:40 he says how transfer targets are picked at spurs. He tells the club what he needs. The scouting department go off and get a list of players they think are suitable. He goes through the list to make sure the players match the profile of what he wants. Then we try and sign them.
He then goes on further at about 8:30 saying he wouldn't accept a transfer he didn't want. That ultimately it's his responsibility.

Last edited:

Interesting. At about 5:40 he says how transfer targets are picked at spurs. He tells the club what he needs. The scouting department go off and get a list of players they think are suitable. He goes through the list to make sure the players match the profile of what he wants. Then we try and sign them.
He then goes on further at about 8:30 saying he wouldn't accept a transfer he didn't want. That ultimately it's his responsibility.
That's kinda how I thought it's worked for about a decade. But good to hear it from him.
I really think his attitude is a huge part of why we went for him - he's honest, candid and takes ownership. Quite the opposite to the last two who would use vagueness to hide behind and protect their ego. Think of all the "club signings" - most of that is actually people doing 2+2=7, but started or not stopped by the words/lack of words by the club's manager, and public figurehead.

Yep this is how the transfer systems worked for a long time now, it seems very logical.

Back