• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Apologies if posted elsewhere; wasn’t quite sure where was best to put it.

I didn't follow the end of last season too closely but did defending set pieces improve when Dragusin came in and VDV went left? If so I hope he gets put back in immediately if teams start bullying Vicario and scoring easy goals again.

Apologies if posted elsewhere; wasn’t quite sure where was best to put it.

Nice that they at least acknowledge the very real chance we seem to have of a top 4 push this year.
But typical snide touches in there from the Guardian. Along with the danger of taking a little bit of information and misrepresenting it - the jab about the defence in pre-season and against Bayern gains valuable context when you consider both Van der Ven and Romero only played 45 minutes in the whole of pre-season. Against Bayern, with no goals conceded. They'll be a significant part of Ange's thinking around the defence this season.
And another centre-back? Hardly a priority.

Nice that they at least acknowledge the very real chance we seem to have of a top 4 push this year.
But typical snide touches in there from the Guardian. Along with the danger of taking a little bit of information and misrepresenting it - the jab about the defence in pre-season and against Bayern gains valuable context when you consider both Van der Ven and Romero only played 45 minutes in the whole of pre-season. Against Bayern, with no goals conceded. They'll be a significant part of Ange's thinking around the defence this season.
And another centre-back? Hardly a priority.

Typical lightweight, lazy, flimflam articles that pass for analysis these days

I don't even fudging understand the question of "Will Tottenham compete for top 4" most of these brick articles ask, 18 years of history says -> we will, will we get there? different question but we will be in the mix

The defense thing, making any comment about goals conceded should have the caveat of how our defensive record is strongly aligned to personnel on pitch, not just the Bayern example but all of last season, say data that said our GA average when the back 5 is Vic, Porro, Romero, VDV, Udogie is ~1.1, big difference to the ~1.6 across the season (too lazy to do the math of the GA on games that didn't have the set back 5, but clearly would be even higher)

Spurs problems under Ange can be put into some simple brackets
- Injuries/adaptation had massive impact last season, you would expect improvement
- Midfield balance, what is first choice midfield?
- Creativity against low block
- Limited CF options
- Goals conceded fall into 3 main areas -> break from overcommit, set pieces, attacking player open on far post.

All those could be reviewed with the aspect of how a healthy squad +changes made address the issue.

Ange actually said it best, the worry isn't just us (to my first point, we will compete), it's how much do the others around us improve (United, Chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa and to a lesser extend Pool are way bigger variables than us at the moment)

I don't even fudging understand the question of "Will Tottenham compete for top 4" most of these brick articles ask, 18 years of history says -> we will, will we get there? different question but we will be in the mix

The defense thing, making any comment about goals conceded should have the caveat of how our defensive record is strongly aligned to personnel on pitch, not just the Bayern example but all of last season, say data that said our GA average when the back 5 is Vic, Porro, Romero, VDV, Udogie is ~1.1, big difference to the ~1.6 across the season (too lazy to do the math of the GA on games that didn't have the set back 5, but clearly would be even higher)

- Injuries/adaptation had massive impact last season, you would expect improvement
- Limited CF options
- Goals conceded fall into 3 main areas -> break from overcommit, set pieces, attacking player open on far post.

All those could be reviewed with the aspect of how a healthy squad +changes made address the issue.

Ange actually said it best, the worry isn't just us (to my first point, we will compete), it's how much do the others around us improve (United, Chelsea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa and to a lesser extend Pool are way bigger variables than us at the moment)
You forget we almost had a third of the team go away on international tournaments mid season.. they didn’t come back the same players

- Limited CF options

Some good points but I think the defensive question is a valid one. I wouldn't use stats in isolation because we had a very, very good start where those 5 played together and everything was going our way. You could argue that was largely down to them which is fair enough but there was enough evidence in the rest of the season that our defensive structure is flawed regardless of personnel. Also, how many times did those 5 play together after November?

I know Saudi Sportswashing Machine was one of the games and we got hockeyed 4-0 up there (albeit Udogie didn't seem right). You may prove to be right but there will be a lot of focus on us defensively this season and justifiably so.

Some good points but I think the defensive question is a valid one. I wouldn't use stats in isolation because we had a very, very good start where those 5 played together and everything was going our way. You could argue that was largely down to them which is fair enough but there was enough evidence in the rest of the season that our defensive structure is flawed regardless of personnel. Also, how many times did those 5 play together after November?

I know Saudi Sportswashing Machine was one of the games and we got hockeyed 4-0 up there (albeit Udogie didn't seem right). You may prove to be right but there will be a lot of focus on us defensively this season and justifiably so.
We can pick games in isolation but in reality our two Achilles heels came at different times but combined in the second half of the season

Set piece goals after the city cup foul game

And counter attacks

The set puce ones came with people just stopping Vicario living which broke any defensive system and the players looked lost… completely lost.

The counter attacks came form shoddy passing in the opposition final third and very quick attacks against us… we were missing VDV in a lot of those (obviously not Saudi Sportswashing Machine)

Vic needs to grow his balls back. He was coming for anything early doors and cleaned people out. That’s what he needs to do and it looks like he hasn’t got that back yet… well be Bayern at least (the only game we saw the set piece issue in)

Around counters it’s about midfield passing smarter and the attack keeping the ball better. Having a CF occupying the centre backs more will make a difference as they won’t be able to step out of defence as easily as they did in games like Saudi Sportswashing Machine for example …

We can pick games in isolation but in reality our two Achilles heels came at different times but combined in the second half of the season

Set piece goals after the city cup foul game

And counter attacks

The set puce ones came with people just stopping Vicario living which broke any defensive system and the players looked lost… completely lost.

The counter attacks came form shoddy passing in the opposition final third and very quick attacks against us… we were missing VDV in a lot of those (obviously not Saudi Sportswashing Machine)

Vic needs to grow his balls back. He was coming for anything early doors and cleaned people out. That’s what he needs to do and it looks like he hasn’t got that back yet… well be Bayern at least (the only game we saw the set piece issue in)

Around counters it’s about midfield passing smarter and the attack keeping the ball better. Having a CF occupying the centre backs more will make a difference as they won’t be able to step out of defence as easily as they did in games like Saudi Sportswashing Machine for example …
Yeah, drawing any conclusions from one game (i.e. Saudi Sportswashing Machine) would be bonkers so I'm not doing that. I've had grave concerns about our defensive structure from very early on in Ange's reign and I'll continue to have them so I think the focus is fair. I hope what you say is correct - I have my doubts.

Also, while last season we were very, very unlucky with absences, you can't rely on having your first 5 available at the back to make the whole thing work.

Yeah, drawing any conclusions from one game (i.e. Saudi Sportswashing Machine) would be bonkers so I'm not doing that. I've had grave concerns about our defensive structure from very early on in Ange's reign and I'll continue to have them so I think the focus is fair. I hope what you say is correct - I have my doubts.

Also, while last season we were very, very unlucky with absences, you can't rely on having your first 5 available at the back to make the whole thing work.

And hence -> Dragusin, Spence & Gray added (vs. having to rely on Royal & Davies as cover)

I don't disagree our defensive record needs improving, I just think, 2nd season (think of Liverpool's early defensive record under Klopp), more depth added, midfield improved, striker who can press from front, has to make a difference.

And hence -> Dragusin, Spence & Gray added (vs. having to rely on Royal & Davies as cover)

I don't disagree our defensive record needs improving, I just think, 2nd season (think of Liverpool's early defensive record under Klopp), more depth added, midfield improved, striker who can press from front, has to make a difference.
I think that if our pressing gets better, we won't let the opposition have so many chances to create quality counter attacks against us. It's also imperative that at least one of our midfielders are able to sniff out danger before it becomes a danger. If we get that right, we'll be hard to counter. Big asks though.

I think that if our pressing gets better, we won't let the opposition have so many chances to create quality counter attacks against us. It's also imperative that at least one of our midfielders are able to sniff out danger before it becomes a danger. If we get that right, we'll be hard to counter. Big asks though.
And our attack keep the opposition defence “honest”

This is my biggest concern to be honest, my big hope at the end of last season is that we would sign a proper DM player, for me we still have not done that we have signed some really good young talent but not sure if any of them yet are ready to fill that gap.

Not saying our defenders can not improve but until we can find a player whose best posistion is being that DM then i must admit i have my doubts as to how we can stiffen our defensive structure enough.

This is my biggest concern to be honest, my big hope at the end of last season is that we would sign a proper DM player, for me we still have not done that we have signed some really good young talent but not sure if any of them yet are ready to fill that gap.

Not saying our defenders can not improve but until we can find a player whose best posistion is being that DM then i must admit i have my doubts as to how we can stiffen our defensive structure enough.
A top DM like say an Ederson (from the little I've seen) feels like he would make all the difference. At the moment we are relying on Bissouma improving his consistency along with improved team pressing structures and better retention of the ball to make it work defensively and honestly I don't believe it will work completely. I think we will see some improvement, but there are always going to be counters per game, there is just no way given the system we play that they won't happen. We can handle them better, but they will happen.

I suppose depending on how Gray matures I could see us looking at a starting DM next summer with Bissouma moving on at that point if he doesn't improve significantly.

A top DM like say an Ederson (from the little I've seen) feels like he would make all the difference. At the moment we are relying on Bissouma improving his consistency along with improved team pressing structures and better retention of the ball to make it work defensively and honestly I don't believe it will work completely. I think we will see some improvement, but there are always going to be counters per game, there is just no way given the system we play that they won't happen. We can handle them better, but they will happen.

I suppose depending on how Gray matures I could see us looking at a starting DM next summer with Bissouma moving on at that point if he doesn't improve significantly.
I’d love to know the amount of successful counters we face when VDV is playing
I can think of Saudi Sportswashing Machine with at least 2 and wolves when he played both off the top of my head but I do think when he plays the6 have to be very very well executed

I’d love to know the amount of successful counters we face when VDV is playing
I can think of Saudi Sportswashing Machine with at least 2 and wolves when he played both off the top of my head but I do think when he plays the6 have to be very very well executed
So you're expecting VDV to react perfectly every time or be fit for every single match? That to me isn't a realistic proportion. Saudi Sportswashing Machine is not the only game we conceded from a counter with VDV on the pitch.

Accepting that we are going to get countered is part of the system, minimising the effect of those counters as much as possible needs to be part of the plan and a DM who sniffs out danger than Bissouma has been doing would help.

I didn't follow the end of last season too closely but did defending set pieces improve when Dragusin came in and VDV went left? If so I hope he gets put back in immediately if teams start bullying Vicario and scoring easy goals again.

I think it improved when we changed from full zonal marking, to actually picking up some players.

Dragusin definitely helped, but so will Solanke as he will also challenge for the ball.

Rule also changed to help protect the keeper, so blocking and shoving, should, get punished this season

So you're expecting VDV to react perfectly every time or be fit for every single match? That to me isn't a realistic proportion. Saudi Sportswashing Machine is not the only game we conceded from a counter with VDV on the pitch.

Accepting that we are going to get countered is part of the system, minimising the effect of those counters as much as possible needs to be part of the plan and a DM who sniffs out danger than Bissouma has been doing would help.
Didn’t say that did I
I think it’s part of the plan though
And it works .. most of the time

And I even said we conceded va wolves when he played via a counter in the post

I think it improved when we changed from full zonal marking, to actually picking up some players.

Dragusin definitely helped, but so will Solanke as he will also challenge for the ball.

Rule also changed to help protect the keeper, so blocking and shoving, should, get punished this season
Vicario dictates a huge change… if he wants it
He has to come for everything and if he doesn’t get it due to being “fouled” he milks it to death
Then… the team have to go man to man more

Back