• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Didn't see the entire 90 mins from Saturday but saw the highlights. Ruud Gullit was critical of him for straying too far from the box at times. I love his work rate and hold up play so he just needs that 1st league goal to get off the mark, if he keeps doing what he did against Gillingham i.e. keep getting in the box and not hiding, the chances will keep coming and he will get goals.

Didn't see the entire 90 mins from Saturday but saw the highlights. Ruud Gullit was critical of him for straying too far from the box at times. I love his work rate and hold up play so he just needs that 1st league goal to get off the mark, if he keeps doing what he did against Gillingham i.e. keep getting in the box and not hiding, the chances will keep coming and he will get goals.
I think that is merely a lack of understanding from Gullit on the way that we are playing. It seems to me that we are looking to get Alli, Son and Lamela into goalscoring positions in the opposition's penalty area, with Janssen playing the role of the link man, taking possession of the ball with his back to goal around the edge of the opposition's penalty area, using his strength to hold off the centre half and laying it off to one of our midfielders arriving. I think we have looked more inventive playing like this, and it has resulted in a number of chances being created.

I think that is merely a lack of understanding from Gullit on the way that we are playing. It seems to me that we are looking to get Alli, Son and Lamela into goalscoring positions in the opposition's penalty area, with Janssen playing the role of the link man, taking possession of the ball with his back to goal around the edge of the opposition's penalty area, using his strength to hold off the centre half and laying it off to one of our midfielders arriving. I think we have looked more inventive playing like this, and it has resulted in a number of chances being created.

Indeed - and Harry often drifts out wide in any case allowing Alli to fill the space.

He will get goals - as Kane does - as long as he is patient they will come.

oh dear, this is so soldado-esque, all the apologists are loving Jansenn's hold-up play, Pochettino had a 4-5-1 formation, you don't pick the target man to set up somebody else. I want to be proved wrong about this guy but Gullit made some astute observations, Son had to go round him to score his 2nd. You don't need to score from 20 yards to be a top goalscorer but you need to be in the right place at the right time, look at how a player like Aguero moves and then watch this bloke lumber around. :(

oh dear, this is so soldado-esque, all the apologists are loving Jansenn's hold-up play, Pochettino had a 4-5-1 formation, you don't pick the target man to set up somebody else. I want to be proved wrong about this guy but Gullit made some astute observations, Son had to go round him to score his 2nd. You don't need to score from 20 yards to be a top goalscorer but you need to be in the right place at the right time, look at how a player like Aguero moves and then watch this bloke lumber around. :(

A couple of league starts and you're already trying to divide people into pro and anti camps.

Got all of that after watching him play how many minutes of football?

You do make me laugh. :rolleyes:

Rudd Gullit.... His opinion is so highly regarded no club wants him as a manager or even a coach

He reminds me of the fitness guy from Holland
Who slags everyone off yet no clubs want him anymore either

Great players don't neccesarily make great managers and most don't make great pundits either

I wouldn't want him to be a carbon copy of Kane. We need complimentary players. If you are playing a high press system, the final third can very congested. Having a player that can keep the ball, draw several defenders to him, and then lay it off is very valuable asset. We have plenty of runners - Lamela, Son, N'Koudou, Dele, both full backs, Sissoko, Kane when he is fit - Janssen will let them get on the ball in dangerous areas, with a bit of space. And he gives a long ball option (useful when everyone seems to favour a pressing game) as well, providing he has quick players around him.

He will also score goals in his own right. Maybe not as many as Kane, but enough.

Not sure Benzema is a good example! But on your second point i agree.

Didn't Pep suggest recently that he would tolerate typical goalkeeping errors with Claudio Bravo because of his strengths with the ball at his feet? That basically means he doesn't have believe a GK's job is to stop goals but more to improve the collective as a whole. Otherwise Hart would still be there.
He'd be better off putting Silva in goal then.

Back