• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Inevitable wasn't it?

Failed as a manager
Failed as a coach

He decent player as he had so many qualities.... but I refuse to think of him as a great due to his criminal behaviour. Should have been jailed for his assault on Haaland.

Hoping we don't hear from him again for a very very long time.

Failed as a manager
Failed as a coach

He decent player as he had so many qualities.... but I refuse to think of him as a great due to his criminal behaviour. Should have been jailed for his assault on Haaland.

He was an absolutely brilliant player and the exact player that we have lacked for years. The sort of player who wins you titles because he will not accept anything other than total commitment from his whole team.

He was an absolutely brilliant player and the exact player that we have lacked for years. The sort of player who wins you titles because he will not accept anything other than total commitment from his whole team.

Not sure that type of player would be successful in today's game.

Stories of Keane type players physically intimidating young players to "emphasize" what is expected of them, same as managers who played "boss" (Souness?)

Modern game is more ego management.

Not sure that type of player would be successful in today's game.

Stories of Keane type players physically intimidating young players to "emphasize" what is expected of them, same as managers who played "boss" (Souness?)

Modern game is more ego management.

Bullies only get so far in life (and less-and-less so as as a society we continue to lose respect for authority by virtue of position and become more critical). Visionaries who can get engagement will always go much further

I agree with this, it was obvious during his time at Forest that he would become a great player and he more then proved it at Utd.

Failed as a manager
Failed as a coach

He wasn't all bad

[video=youtube;GwcpFXOsrY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcpFXOsrY8[/video]

He wasn't all bad

[video=youtube;GwcpFXOsrY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwcpFXOsrY8[/video]

Exactly.... I couldn't imagine any of our players being like that since Graham Roberts (perhaps with honourable mentions to Paul Stewart and Edgar David's).

Roy Keane is a divisive player. Here in Ireland more than anywhere else. In my case, I fall very much on the "pro-Keane" side of the fence (but everyone's entitled to their opinion and I've had the Roy Keane argument too many times to get into it again). He is without a doubt the best player I have ever seen play for Ireland. Him and Hoddle (very different players!) are my two favourite footballers of all times. Without him, I don't think Man Utd would have had as much success as they had when he was there. He was their most important player for several seasons (not necessarily "best", but he held that team together). I also think he was 100% in the right during the bust-up with McCarthy in Saipan. As an Irish football fan, I was devastated at the way it turned out, but Keane had my full support.

I think he suffers from the same problem as Hoddle when it comes to coaching. Hoddle was famously skilled and just couldn't seem to understand why the players he was coaching couldn't do the things he was showing them. Keane on the other hand is famously determined and hard-working, so unless a player is giving 100% all the time, Keane will get frustrated. And sadly, not all players give 100% all the time (can you imagine Keane trying to coach Adebayor!?). He's got his flaws - like all of us - but he was a great footballer and if he were in his prime today and playing for Spurs... I believe we'd be title challengers.

Roy Keane is a divisive player. Here in Ireland more than anywhere else. In my case, I fall very much on the "pro-Keane" side of the fence (but everyone's entitled to their opinion and I've had the Roy Keane argument too many times to get into it again). He is without a doubt the best player I have ever seen play for Ireland. Him and Hoddle (very different players!) are my two favourite footballers of all times. Without him, I don't think Man Utd would have had as much success as they had when he was there. He was their most important player for several seasons (not necessarily "best", but he held that team together). I also think he was 100% in the right during the bust-up with McCarthy in Saipan. As an Irish football fan, I was devastated at the way it turned out, but Keane had my full support.

I think he suffers from the same problem as Hoddle when it comes to coaching. Hoddle was famously skilled and just couldn't seem to understand why the players he was coaching couldn't do the things he was showing them. Keane on the other hand is famously determined and hard-working, so unless a player is giving 100% all the time, Keane will get frustrated. And sadly, not all players give 100% all the time (can you imagine Keane trying to coach Adebayor!?). He's got his flaws - like all of us - but he was a great footballer and if he were in his prime today and playing for Spurs... I believe we'd be title challengers.
I agree 100%. I wish that he had played for us.

I love the story about him trying to sign Robbie Savage in his latest biography

“I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal. Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room. Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be ****ing signing that.’”

That's the "My mates gonna kick your **** whilst I watch from behind him" stare. :lol:

It's the stare on Keane's face in the tunnel that I love. The focus, intensity, sheer determination to win and (yes, I accept) aggression in that man's eyes... and that's how he was before every match; yeah the Viera bust-up was famous, but he'd find some internal reason to work himself up into that mind-set before every game. That's what made him the player he was. That's why it was like having 12 men out there when Roy Keane was on the field. Remember Vertonghen lounging in the tunnel before that match last season? Compare and contrast.

“I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal. Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room. Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be ****ing signing that.’”

:lol:

I wonder just how important Alex Ferguson was in guiding and channeling Keane's determination and willpower into something positive. And if he would have been as successful under different managers.

Seemed likely that Keane's attitude, stature and knowledge about football would make him a good manager/head coach/assistant, but so far it really hasn't panned out that way.

Funny, but also a bit weird from Keane. He was in a pretty desperate situation at Sunderland and if he thought Savage could come in and improve his team, but then refuse to bring him in because of a voice mail greeting he might just have shot himself in the foot a bit.

I wonder just how important Alex Ferguson was in guiding and channeling Keane's determination and willpower into something positive. And if he would have been as successful under different managers.

Seemed likely that Keane's attitude, stature and knowledge about football would make him a good manager/head coach/assistant, but so far it really hasn't panned out that way.

Funny, but also a bit weird from Keane. He was in a pretty desperate situation at Sunderland and if he thought Savage could come in and improve his team, but then refuse to bring him in because of a voice mail greeting he might just have shot himself in the foot a bit.
He's definitely a bit weird. As DS said, it is what made him a great player and a poor manager/coach.

Arsenal are considering a £20m move for Bayer Leverkusen's Christoph Kramer, 23, if they fail to land fellow Germany midfielder Sami Khedira, 27, from Real Madrid. (Daily Star)

Roma are weighing up a January move for £7m-rated Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, 32. (Daily Mail)

Paris St-Germain head coach Laurent Blanc has played down talk that the Ligue 1 giants will approach striker Thierry Henry, 37, who left New York Red Bulls this week, with an offer of a short-term deal. (London Evening Standard)

However, Turkish side Galatasaray are interested in signing the Frenchman. (Talksport)

Liverpool have offered Fiorentina goalkeeper Neto, 25, a £125,000-a-week contract to join them in January as Simon Mignolet's replacement. (Metro)

Forward Lukas Podolski, 29, is open to a move away from Arsenal, with a return to his boyhood team Cologne a possibility. (Daily Star)

Former Saudi Sportswashing Machine midfielder Yohan Cabaye, 28, is considering quitting Paris St-Germain in the next transfer window just a year after joining the club, according to team-mate Javier Pastore. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal are weighing up a move for Tottenham defender Vlad Chiriches, 24, in January. (Daily Express)

Inter Milan have joined Leicester City and Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the race to sign Villarreal striker Luciano Vietto, 20. (Talksport)

Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, 26, is a target for Brazilian clubs Sao Paulo and Corinthians. (Daily Mirror)

Buenos Aires club Boca Juniors want to sign Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo, 28, who has scored seven goals in 15 games while on loan at Inter Milan. (Daily Mail)

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has stressed he has had no contact from Arsenal regarding James McCarthy, 24, and that he looks forward to seeing the midfielder stay with the Toffees "for a long, long time". (London Evening Standard)

Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta, 25, has brushed off reports linking him to Barcelona and Real Madrid and pledged his future to the Blues. (Daily Express)

Former England striker Emile Heskey, 37, is training with Bolton in an effort to earn a deal at the Macron Stadium. (Bolton News)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he believes he can lead the Gunners to the Premier League title within the next three seasons. (Sun - subscription required)

Wenger also says Arsenal legend Thierry Henry should be granted a final international appearance for France in a friendly against Brazil. (Independent)

Thierry Henry last played for France in the 2010 World Cup match against South Africa

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says his side could blow the title if they get distracted trying to become the next "Invincibles". (Daily Star)

Mourinho also hinted that defender John Terry, 33, who is out of contract at the end of the season, could be offered a new deal. (Sun - subscription required)

Emirates Marketing Project captain Vincent Kompany faces a race against time to be fit for the club's decisive Champions League clash with Roma. (Times - subscription required)

Everton will wait until the summer to offer forward Kevin Mirallas, 27, a new deal, says boss Roberto Martinez. (Liverpool Echo)

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says the FA Cup, which the club have not won since 2004, is one of his main priorities this season. (Manchester Evening News)

QPR could be hit with a multi-million-pound penalty for breaching financial fair play regulations. (Guardian)

Emirates Marketing Project's former Platt Lane training complex has been taken over by Manchester Metropolitan University. (Manchester Evening News)

Arsenal are ready to make a £33m transfer move in January for Palermo's 21-year-old Argentine forward Paulo Dybala. (Tuttosport - in Italian)

Argentina's 26-year-old forward Sergio Aguero says he will try and convince his fellow countrymen Lionel Messi, 27, to join him at Emirates Marketing Project. (Mundo Deportivo - in Spanish)

French forward Andre-Pierre Gignac, 28, has hinted he could leave Marseille this summer. (Le Figaro - in French)

German clubs Borussia Dortmund and Wolfsburg are interested in Marseille's 24-year-old Ghanaian midfielder Andre Ayew. (Bild - in German)

Napoli manager Rafa Benitez wants to sign Manolo Gabbiadini but Sampdoria are unlikely to let go of the 23-year-old Italian forward. (Tuttosport - in Italian)

Juventus could sign Sampdoria's 19-year-old Italian defender Alessio Romagnoli as they look to inject young talent into the side. (Tuttosport - in Italian)

German side Schalke want to retain Klaas-Jan Huntelaar until the end of his career and are looking at an annuity contract for the 31-year-old forward. (Bild - in German)

Bayern Munich forward Thomas Muller feels compatriot Manuel Neuer, 28, deserves to win the Golden Ball and that giving the award to Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo for a second consecutive year would be "boring". (Marca - in Spanish)

Back