• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

FWIW... Here's the player dashboards for Stambouli and Dembele yesterday http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755506

dpwm8j.jpg

compared to Bentaleb and Mason (subbed after 66mins) against Palace earlier this season http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755451/

okbxb5.jpg

and Britton plus Carroll yesterday http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755511

33y0tab.jpg

Looks to me like Carroll attempted more forward passes than either Bentaleb or Mason (although Mason was subbed as you say) as well as keeping the ball moving quickly. Honestly do think there is a great little player in there.

I still really don't think much of Carroll. I think I'd rather play Pritchard centre midfield or even Onomah and that's not even his natural position.

Carroll does have something they don't however and that's top flight experience, be it minimal. He does seem a better fit for our two star midfielders then anyone else we have however. But then don't we get into that habit of having too many of the same players which people on here share a disliking for anyway?

Looks to me like Carroll attempted more forward passes than either Bentaleb or Mason (although Mason was subbed as you say) as well as keeping the ball moving quickly. Honestly do think there is a great little player in there.
Looks like Stambouli and Demeble did too!!!!

Onomah will be a CM, I'm pretty sure. To be honest, we probably wouldn't be any worse off if we only used our academy CMs.

Onomah will be a CM, I'm pretty sure. To be honest, we probably wouldn't be any worse off if we only used our academy CMs.

It's the only way he's going to get games. I'd love him there. I hope we see him by the end of the season, hopefully involved on Wednesday in some sort.

I would agree I mean Stambouli and Dembele weren't terrible on Saturday but I find it hard to believe Onomah couldn't do what they did it wasn't like either of them were pulling up trees.

I'd love to have seen Carroll play tidy football on that pitch on Saturday. It was the worst pitch I've seen in years and they deserve a fine and points being docked for it. They almost had Delaney break an ankle on it and rose almost did too

It's the only way he's going to get games. I'd love him there. I hope we see him by the end of the season, hopefully involved on Wednesday in some sort.

I think Onomah is the dogs *******s but he would get eaten starting as a number 8 or a number 4 against Prem oppo. His work rate and defensive work is average and he is still naive in many respects. Massive talent but throwing him in would be counter productive in all likelihood. He isn't a Bentelab who puts his foot in, is aggressive and can hold is own physically so my bet is that he will get 10-20mins as a CM if the game is comfortable or perhaps a start as a number 10 - which is where he has played a lot for youth sides. Poch seems to want to give him his debut, but the game has always been on a knife edge so he hasn't.

For me, Onomah is the best talent we have coming through but considering he isn't even 18 yet, asking him to play as a CM is very premature.

Pritchard has never played CM in first team football and is not that sort of player. Calling for him to play CM is wide of the mark - but he is another I think could be given a chance next year. i read that brentford fans think he can be a massive talent on his day but is a little in and out. I rate him very highly though.

Carroll is starting to play really well and defensively he is actually very astute in cutting off angles and intercepting balls. He sometimes does play it safe, but he does have a lot more in his locket and could adapt to Poch's system. In the end of the day he should be given a chance next season alongside Nabil and Mason with perhaps Scheiderlin and one other coming in for Dembele, Capoue and Paulinho.

Didn't watch the Swansea game but that dashboard suggests Carroll made an almost absurd number of passes. I've long been an admirer but cannot help wondering how many of those were just backwards and forwards to the same player or within a triangle. Very Swansea, very Barcelona. Such play has it's merits in bewildering the opposition and making them feel like giving up but it can also get very boring for the spectator.

The only other league game for Swansea where Carroll played close to 90 minutes was when they beat ARSEnal 2-1 (he came off after 87). Here's how our respective midfield partnerships did against the Goons this season, Capoue rather less dynamic than the rest...

n30q9w.jpg

Different styles, different roles, but the dashboards suggest I for one may have been underestimating Capoue's defensive contribution:

Total interventions (green plus orange):

Carroll 10, success rate 50%

Capoue 15, success rate 80%

Mason 17, success rate 47%

But why on earth would Swansea agree to such a move? If, as all those stats and favourable comments from their fans suggest, he's performing that well for them what would they have to gain? It's not as though we'd pay them a transfer fee to recall one of our own players, is it!

Am I missing something?

Serious question btw.

Back