• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

He's a better option to play pochs one touch quick tempo passing game than Dembele, Stambouli and Capoue.

But he doesn't have the defensive qualities of Mason, Bentaleb or any of these 3, which are essential in the system we play (where we have 2 allrounders, rather than a DM and deep sitting ballplayer)

I'd play Carroll in CM alongside a Sandro, but definitely not any of our other CMs (same with utilising Eriksen deeper too)

But he doesn't have the defensive qualities of Mason, Bentaleb or any of these 3, which are essential in the system we play (where we have 2 allrounders, rather than a DM and deep sitting ballplayer)

I'd play Carroll in CM alongside a Sandro, but definitely not any of our other CMs (same with utilising Eriksen deeper too)

I'd argue that Dembele and Capoue don't have defensive qualities neither. Look at the joke that was Palace's second goal.
We're no worse off playing Carroll than these two that leave huge spaces and ball watch.

Can't say I've seen much of Carroll playing for Swansea but if Poch thinks he can provide cover / competition for Mason then got to be worth a try. Can't do much worse than Paulinho anyway.

@Squawka: Tom Carroll completed 95 passes today, more than any other Premier League player.
B7BHmhTCMAAaAOs.png

Can't say I've seen much of Carroll playing for Swansea but if Poch thinks he can provide cover / competition for Mason then got to be worth a try. Can't do much worse than Paulinho anyway.

@Squawka: Tom Carroll completed 95 passes today, more than any other Premier League player.
B7BHmhTCMAAaAOs.png

Note how 90% of them are lateral passes. Again, in comparison with Mason and Bentaleb, he doesn't do the aggressive/assertive forward passing that gives us quick transitioning

Note how 90% of them are lateral passes. Again, in comparison with Mason and Bentaleb, he doesn't do the aggressive/assertive forward passing that gives us quick transitioning
He has certainly done quick forward passes for us in the past.

I think that he would be ideal as cover/competition for Mason and certainly better suited to this than the two who played there yesterday.

But at least we keep the ball

He doesn't look as good as Mason or bentelab but he looks better than the alternative

Personally I think he'd be decent cover for Bentaleb. And his size isn't a problem - Carrick has always been very slender in build and it hasn't stopped him being a half decent deep lying midfielder. I see both Bentaleb and Carroll developing into a similar style player. Would love him to come back to Spurs and us shift out Capoue and Stambouli to make way

Whenever I have seen him play this year his defensive play has been good, because he takes up intelligent positions. We can't pretend he's gonna out muscle the likes of Yaya Toure, but he does put himself in positions which narrow down the oppositions option's.

He doesn't have the defensive qualities to play alongside Bentaleb, but he does have the defensive qualities to play alongside Britton?

I don't get it...

Carroll has no less defensive qualities than Mason imv

Am I right in thinking that you didn't even watch the game? And you haven't watched a single Swansea game where Carroll has played as a deep midfielder this season?

If so do you really think conclusions like these are warranted based on a passing map? And without any posted comparison point. Where are the Mason passing maps that show a clear difference between them? Which games?

Mason:
Forward 73.7%
Backward 26.3%
Accuracy 81%
Avg length 19m

Carroll:
Forward 61.6%
Backward 38.4%
Accuracy 89%
Avg length 16m

Would love him to come back to Spurs and us shift out Capoue and Stambouli to make way

Im with you on that for sure. Let Capoue go and bring Carroll back and then also bring back Pritchard. The more players we can make for ourselves the better. And Carroll is as good. I Cant see how pritchard can play any worse than Townsend and he reminds me a lot of Barmby who I really liked. Would be amazing to have so many players through our system in the side.

Mason:
Forward 73.7%
Backward 26.3%
Accuracy 81%
Avg length 19m

Carroll:
Forward 61.6%
Backward 38.4%
Accuracy 89%
Avg length 16m

Stats, of course, need to be analysed in conjunction with tactics.

Do you have the the stats for Dembele, Stambouli and Bentaleb too? ( obviously they will be different sample sizes, but interesting never the less)

Am I right in thinking that you didn't even watch the game? And you haven't watched a single Swansea game where Carroll has played as a deep midfielder this season?

If so do you really think conclusions like these are warranted based on a passing map? And without any posted comparison point. Where are the Mason passing maps that show a clear difference between them? Which games?

This

Stats, of course, need to be analysed in conjunction with tactics.

Do you have the the stats for Dembele, Stambouli and Bentaleb too? ( obviously they will be different sample sizes, but interesting never the less)

Dembele:
Forward 55.2%
Backward 44.8%
Accuracy 88%
Avg length 15m

Stambouli:
Forward 63.2%
Backward 36.8%
Accuracy 86%
Avg length 16m

Bentaleb:
Forward 58.9%
Backward 41.1%
Accuracy 86%
Avg length 17m

Modric:
Forward 65.2%
Backward 34.8%
Accuracy 90%
Avg length 18m

Only thing this really concludes is that Mason tries more vertical/difficult passes than the rest, which is what most probably would've thought anyway. There were a few having a go at Mason recently for giving it away too much but we need him to keep doing what he's doing.

Dembele:
Forward 55.2%
Backward 44.8%
Accuracy 88%
Avg length 15m

Stambouli:
Forward 63.2%
Backward 36.8%
Accuracy 86%
Avg length 16m

Bentaleb:
Forward 58.9%
Backward 41.1%
Accuracy 86%
Avg length 17m

Modric:
Forward 65.2%
Backward 34.8%
Accuracy 90%
Avg length 18m

Only thing this really concludes is that Mason tries more vertical/difficult passes than the rest, which is what most probably would've thought anyway. There were a few having a go at Mason recently for giving it away too much but we need him to keep doing what he's doing.

Exactly, and I think same applies to Lamela to be honest. They take more risks which means they are going to give ball away more....

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

The thing is, Swansea are likely to make us a considerable offer for his services once the Bony transfer goes through: if not ten million quid, then likely something quite close to it. Do we take that money?

Personally, I don't think we should. For me, a Mason-Carroll duo for that lone deep-lying playmaker position (alongside the dedicated DM) is perfect: allows easy rotation between similar players from many standpoints (work-rate, defensive ability, technical prowess, desire), and saves money that can be used to procure a dedicated DM to provide real cover and competition for Bentaleb (hopefully McCarthy, or someone similar), with Stambouli ultimately becoming the utility stand-in should a spate of injuries occur in either position. Also allows Dembele and Paulinho to be moved on, and the funds earned from those sales hopefully used to procure a real top quality forward, i.e Dybala, Lacazette, etcetera.

Plus there's the feel good factor to consider: so many academy products playing can only be good for team and fan morale, and could help full re-establish that connection between the fans and the players that was lacking at times this season (before the arrival of Kane, of course).

Back