• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Toby has been outstanding generally but last night for their goal he actually took Dier out.

Against them in the cut he clashed with Chadli for the corner they scored from

He is a great great player but the are odd mistakes

Indeed...if he carries on making these mistakes he will get stick just like Vertonghen (and others have done)...

Indeed...if he carries on making these mistakes he will get stick just like Vertonghen (and others have done)...

In fairness this year, Toby has been at fault for the Stoke Pen and all 3 Leicester goals from set pieces in the last two games. This is all off the top of my head but I don't remember Jan making 4 galling errors like this for goals this year? Correct me if i am wrong and I also want to say that I 100% rate Toby the higher out of the two - I am just trying to make a point about perceptions on different players

In fairness this year, Toby has been at fault for the Stoke Pen and all 3 Leicester goals from set pieces in the last two games. This is all off the top of my head but I don't remember Jan making 4 galling errors like this for goals this year? Correct me if i am wrong and I also want to say that I 100% rate Toby the higher out of the two - I am just trying to make a point about perceptions on different players

I don't rate Toby that highly as a defender, more that the system we play and the overall dynamics of the team has given the impression (to some fans) that individual players like Toby and Verts are suddenly great defenders.

Not that I'm suggesting either are average, more that Toby in particularly is being viewed as this great defender when I personally think its more about the system we play, high pressure and possession, closing down in numbers and suffocating opponents, and I have to credit Pochettino for the defensive improvement. even if I don't rate him that highly as a manager.

I wonder what all the body language experts and those that wrote off Vertonghen last season (or before) would have had to say if it had been Verthongen instead of Alderweireld making the mistakes in the last two games against Leicester...

You know as well as I do they would be right down his throat with the body language flimflam. I still have no idea what Uni these guys go too to be able to say " his body language " shows he does not care.

Toby has been outstanding generally but last night for their goal he actually took Dier out.

Against them in the cut he clashed with Chadli for the corner they scored from

He is a great great player but the are odd mistakes

Of course he does, but in over 50 years of watching, playing working in football I have never seen a player who does not. The problem with some fans is they can not wait to jump on those players when they do.

You know as well as I do they would be right down his throat with the body language hogwash. I still have no idea what Uni these guys go too to be able to say " his body language " shows he does not care.

Was it the Villa game in his first season? maybe someone else will remember, but there was a great photo of the team celebrating a goal, with Verts the only player managing to celebrate with disappointment etched on his face! He always looks miserable!

While Toby will make errors like any other defender, his main strength is to cover for Walker's and Vertonghen's occasional 'brainfarts' which previous central defenders playing either side of them have been unable to do. I have lost count of the number of occasions when I am hoilding my breath after an error by a defender only to relax when Toby suddenly appears from nowhere to mop up.

As a result fans are now also saying that Verts is playing much better this season then previously. He is, but possibly would not be without the presence of Toby.

Of course he does, but in over 50 years of watching, playing working in football I have never seen a player who does not. The problem with some fans is they can not wait to jump on those players when they do.

I re wrote that as I me at they are odd mistakes. Odd as in taking out your own man is bizarre

Odd as in taking out your own man is bizarre
I just watched the Leicester goal again on MotD.

Dier is marking Huth and is within 1m.
Toby is marking Morgan and is about 2m from him.

Huth runs between Morgan and Toby whilst Morgan darts for the near post, meaning Toby accelerates after Morgan and runs straight into Dier.

Dier falls back and Toby turns to try and engage Huth.

So yes, it was a great run/plan/movement from Huth and Morgan, not Jedi mind tricks.

Huth runs between Morgan and Toby whilst Morgan darts for the near post, meaning Toby accelerates after Morgan and runs straight into Dier.

So yes, it was a great run/plan/movement from Huth and Morgan, not Jedi mind tricks.

Bingo, as I said after the goal in the cup game ( their first on from the corner) its good play by the Leicester team and one they are good at. But lets blame our defenders instead of admitting that Leicester outdid us.

Hmmm...perhaps Toby at some stage soon will need a rest. However, doing that would mean we'd weaken either the CB or the CM area imo from a defensive solidity point of view.

Perhaps the most important signing after a forward for the window is actually someone who can play in Dier's current role...

Bingo, as I said after the goal in the cup game ( their first on from the corner) its good play by the Leicester team and one they are good at. But lets blame our defenders instead of admitting that Leicester outdid us.

If they outdo us three times in three games come the replay, then that's a problem. Wasilewski and Huth have punished us by confusing our hitherto excellent defenders on corners: I expect us to learn from that.

Other than that, Toby played well. Okazaki seems to have some sort of ability to flummox him to a small extent, but overall, he handled Vardy well and shuffled over to cover for Walker's slip-ups adequately.

it was still pretty naieve defending. you can't always follow the running man, and you have to get a man on the tallest attacker no matter what.
huth not only had a free header, he had so much time to tee himself up and generate maximum power for that goal.

From The Guardian's 10 talking points from the weekend:

3) Alderweireld: the signing of the season?
Toby Alderweireld put in another assured performance in Tottenham’s central defence. Against Sunderland the Belgian was calm on the ball once more and was not at fault for Patrick van Aanholt’s opening goal. Spurs have conceded only 18 goals in 22 games this season, the fewest in the Premier League, having let in 53 throughout the 2014/15 campaign, the most among all teams that finished 13th and above. It is perhaps overstating it to say the turnaround has been down to Alderweireld’s presence because Spurs are keeping the ball better in midfield and dominating matches, especially at White Hart Lane. However, the defence undoubtedly appears more confident, especially bringing the ball forward, and Alderweireld has to be regarded as a key reason behind the improvement. At £11.4m he has to be one of the signings of the season. James Riach

Toby Alderweireld says it is Tottenham’s work ethic which has propelled them into Premier League title contention – and anyone not willing to graft can leave.

Alderweireld is among the Spurs players to have earned most praise this season, but the defender insists no one individual is any more important than any other at White Hart Lane.

“The most important thing is we have no heroes,” said Alderweireld. “We have a team with a lot of quality that wants to improve. So it’s important everybody works so hard for each other.

“When one makes a mistake, the other one picks it up. We have togetherness. We want to achieve something this season and I think you can see that on the pitch.

“There is a good confidence and self-belief – not arrogance – that we can beat everybody. If we work hard and put the effort in like we do every week, we are confident that we can beat every team.

“It is self-belief, not arrogance. We know if we don’t put the effort in, we are a normal team. Put that effort in and that can make a difference. We have quality and young guys who are eager to make the difference.”

Pochettino has made sweeping changes to the Spurs squad since taking over in 2014, and Alderweireld says any player not willing to buy into the work ethic will soon find themselves cast aside.

“A lot of guys have left the club,” added Alderweireld. “He [Pochettino] only wants guys who work very hard. If you don’t follow that path, you don’t belong in Tottenham. Physically we are 100 per cent. We can run all game and that is the way we want to play.”

I have to credit Pochettino for the defensive improvement. even if I don't rate him that highly as a manager.

You must be one of the few who don't rate Poch...hopefully you will be eating lots of humble pie at the season's end :)

Back