• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

The great Bobby Moore, though certainly an excellent tackler, was noted mainly for his reading of the game, his ability to intercept, break up play and set the
I never realised how good this guy is

He looked good in midfield vs us last season but I didn't notice him in other games

so far he has been borderline outstanding[/QUOTE]
Only borderline?

When we first signed Jan there was a point in tat season (2012-13) when he was hailed one of the best CBs in the league and one of (if not THE) best new CB newcomer that season.
How does Toby's individual start with us this season compare with Jan's individual start with us that season?

Pretty much the same impact to be fair, I do believe that Toby is probably the better player overall ( and I am a big fan of Jan) however Toby is playing as well as he ever has elsewhere and a lot of that is down to having Jan as his partner. I can not remember the last time we had such a good pairing at CB.

The great Bobby Moore, though certainly an excellent tackler, was noted mainly for his reading of the game, his ability to intercept, break up play and set the

Only borderline?

Moore is probably the best English defender I have seen and as you say he was a great tackler ( remember the one against Pele?), however his reading of the game allowed him to intercept and see most danger before it happened.

Pretty much the same impact to be fair, I do believe that Toby is probably the better player overall ( and I am a big fan of Jan) however Toby is playing as well as he ever has elsewhere and a lot of that is down to having Jan as his partner. I can not remember the last time we had such a good pairing at CB.

Jan looks as good now as he did then IMO

It's a really impressive pairing to have

What happened to Alderweireld when he was at Atletico Madrid? Why did Atletico let him move to Southampton on loan? The guy is a beast, and the rock of our defence. Plus, his direct passes, are bordering on Huddlestone esque. I'm very happy that we signed him.
That's a good question. The guy seems that good now that you'd have to wonder how we managed to snag him for such a (relatively) low price. Maybe the fact he is paired with Vertonghen has helped him step up to another level too?

That's a good question. The guy seems that good now that you'd have to wonder how we managed to snag him for such a (relatively) low price. Maybe the fact he is paired with Vertonghen has helped him step up to another level too?

I think its as simple as that to be honest, I watched them both at Ajax and it was obvious then that they had some kind of real understanding of each others strengths and weak points. That is why I really wanted us to get Toby as they have that perfect bonding on the pitch.

I think its as simple as that to be honest, I watched them both at Ajax and it was obvious then that they had some kind of real understanding of each others strengths and weak points. That is why I really wanted us to get Toby as they have that perfect bonding on the pitch.
Well it would explain why Atlectico let him leave so easily. Best pairing in the division now.

Sometimes it works like that .. Keane/Berbatov made each better than they ever were before or after, Jan/Toby are the same

Well it would explain why Atlectico let him leave so easily. Best pairing in the division now.

I have no idea why it went pear shape at Atlecito maybe he fell out with the manager?, but whatever it was worked in our favour for sure.

I have no idea why it went pear shape at Atlecito maybe he fell out with the manager?, but whatever it was worked in our favour for sure.

Didn't play enough because of the excellence of the Miranda-Godin partnership. He did an interview a while ago where he explained how stop-start his season at Atletico was: essentially, it culminated in him coming on in extra time in the CL final, only to immediately be beaten to the ball in the air by Bale, who thumped it in for Real's second goal on the night. Got loaned out to S'oton, and the rest is history.

Didn't play enough because of the excellence of the Miranda-Godin partnership. He did an interview a while ago where he explained how stop-start his season at Atletico was: essentially, it culminated in him coming on in extra time in the CL final, only to immediately be beaten to the ball in the air by Bale, who thumped it in for Real's second goal on the night. Got loaned out to S'oton, and the rest is history.

Thank's I never saw that.

When we first signed Jan there was a point in tat season (2012-13) when he was hailed one of the best CBs in the league and one of (if not THE) best new CB newcomer that season.
How does Toby's individual start with us this season compare with Jan's individual start with us that season?

Alderweireld has been better. He is always in the right place at the right time to cut out danger. Stoke is the only game I can recall in which he wasn't quite at his best.

so we can indirectly thank bale for sending him our way...? what a thoroughly decent chap that gareth bale was.

I think it depends on the benchmark

For me he has been as good as Kompany at his best and you can see that in how our defence has improved

For me the difference between where Alderweireld is now and Kompany is/was at his best, and of course King at his best is in part consistency and the demonstrated ability to play this well in different setups.

Kompany will make Demichelis look good... King made Dawson and Kaboul look very good. And those, world class defenders, looked top notch pretty much regardless of who they played next to.

Right now, luckily, Alderweireld has been lucky enough to play in what has become a settle team functioning as a unit. If you placed Alderweireld in our Sherwood team would he have looked top notch or "just" as good as Vertonghen?

In addition to those two they had/have a very highly rated young CB in Gimenez who they clearly wanted to give game time to. Effectively making Alderweireld 4th choice at best at CB and a backup full back for them. They have limited transfer funds available and he could bring in a fair price for them.

For me the difference between where Alderweireld is now and Kompany is/was at his best, and of course King at his best is in part consistency and the demonstrated ability to play this well in different setups.

Kompany will make Demichelis look good... King made Dawson and Kaboul look very good. And those, world class defenders, looked top notch pretty much regardless of who they played next to.

Right now, luckily, Alderweireld has been lucky enough to play in what has become a settle team functioning as a unit. If you placed Alderweireld in our Sherwood team would he have looked top notch or "just" as good as Vertonghen?

In addition to those two they had/have a very highly rated young CB in Gimenez who they clearly wanted to give game time to. Effectively making Alderweireld 4th choice at best at CB and a backup full back for them. They have limited transfer funds available and he could bring in a fair price for them.

Yeah I agree although look how good he made Southamptons defence look last season ;);)

Back