• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

At the risk of sounding daft... What more can he do???

His only poor error was against Stoke for the pen

He is head and shoulders above every defender in This league This season and this is an incredibly attacking league

He also has goals and assist to his name

The only thing holding his reputation back is he isn't glamorous and doesn't play centre back all the time for his country

Would you describe him as world class at this time?

Raziel brought up the potential to become world class in the Dembele thread. I thought of and mentioned Alderweireld, got me thinking...

World class is a big term and perhaps a bit beyond Alderweireld. But he's doing really well and at 26 (27 in March) he's just about coming into that age where centre backs typically start reaching their consistent best.

How good do you guys think he will be in two years?

I think the phrase world class is a overused one and especially the media who throw it about far to often, as for Toby well I wanted him to be our major signing in the summer ( and it is on here) and having watched him since his Ajax days I believe he could be one of the best around.

His partnership with Jan has always been a good one and there is no doubt ( in my mind) that it is the best around, how good can he become? well I guess that is down to him but he has the ability to be classed with the best around for sure.

Raziel brought up the potential to become world class in the Dembele thread. I thought of and mentioned Alderweireld, got me thinking...

World class is a big term and perhaps a bit beyond Alderweireld. But he's doing really well and at 26 (27 in March) he's just about coming into that age where centre backs typically start reaching their consistent best.

How good do you guys think he will be in two years?

Not world class for me - yet.

I saw how Vertonghen dropped off in the latter part of his first season and whilst i don't expect that from Toby, it has to be said that he has played a hell of a lot of games and we may see a dip at some point....it's how long that 'dip' lasts and how well he comes out of it that will determine for me if he can carry the label "World Class."
Kompany has some ongoing problems (which rumours seem to suggest may make him a City version of Ledley, sadly for them) and you'd expect him to get the chance to play international games more in the CB role. If that happens and how well he gets on could determine both whether he is classed as "World Class" and also where he'll be in two year's time!

FWIW i think he'll be with us in two year's time as one of our captains!

Not world class for me - yet.

I saw how Vertonghen dropped off in the latter part of his first season and whilst i don't expect that from Toby, it has to be said that he has played a hell of a lot of games and we may see a dip at some point....it's how long that 'dip' lasts and how well he comes out of it that will determine for me if he can carry the label "World Class."
Kompany has some ongoing problems (which rumours seem to suggest may make him a City version of Ledley, sadly for them) and you'd expect him to get the chance to play international games more in the CB role. If that happens and how well he gets on could determine both whether he is classed as "World Class" and also where he'll be in two year's time!

FWIW i think he'll be with us in two year's time as one of our captains!

I think half the squad has been predicted to be captains at that time. ;)

I think half the squad has been predicted to be captains at that time. ;)
Ha. This is true but better a team of captains than one of shrinking violets. Every player on the pitch should demand more from themselves and their team-mates. If this makes them potential captains then that's all good in my book.

Judging Toby is always going to be interesting ..

Doesn't foul his man, not last ditch, tends to defend well standing up, intercepts a lot. While all very good CB qualities, doesn't make for highlight reel stuff.

For what it's worth, I think he's obviously in the top 3-5 CB's in the league, does that make him WC? not sure, potential and perhaps even performances are there, another season and a half of what he has done this season for us would make it very hard to argue.

Judging Toby is always going to be interesting ..

Doesn't foul his man, not last ditch, tends to defend well standing up, intercepts a lot. While all very good CB qualities, doesn't make for highlight reel stuff.

For what it's worth, I think he's obviously in the top 3-5 CB's in the league, does that make him WC? not sure, potential and perhaps even performances are there, another season and a half of what he has done this season for us would make it very hard to argue.

The best defenders don't make tackles and play rashly. People talk about stones footballing ability but Toby is in another stratosphere by comparison

The best defenders don't make tackles and play rashly. People talk about stones footballing ability but Toby is in another stratosphere by comparison

This for me as well, you very rarely ( apart from the tackle on Pele) saw Bobby Moore winning the ball by tackling but by intercepting and being in the right place at the right time. And he was the best I have seen.

I never realised how good this guy is

He looked good in midfield vs us last season but I didn't notice him in other games

so far he has been borderline outstanding

I know I keep saying this ( but it is true) I have watched Toby since his Ajax days and he is the one I really wanted us to sign this summer over anyone or any other position.

When we first signed Jan there was a point in tat season (2012-13) when he was hailed one of the best CBs in the league and one of (if not THE) best new CB newcomer that season.
How does Toby's individual start with us this season compare with Jan's individual start with us that season?

What happened to Alderweireld when he was at Atletico Madrid? Why did Atletico let him move to Southampton on loan? The guy is a beast, and the rock of our defence. Plus, his direct passes, are bordering on Huddlestone esque. I'm very happy that we signed him.

When we first signed Jan there was a point in tat season (2012-13) when he was hailed one of the best CBs in the league and one of (if not THE) best new CB newcomer that season.
How does Toby's individual start with us this season compare with Jan's individual start with us that season?

At least as good, and I think he's not only a better defender than Vertonghen, but a better all-round player. Reads the game really well and makes few errors.

Back