• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

I did some analysis on PL teams' chance creation, and came up with the following stat - minutes of possession per shot taken inside the penalty area. We are 19th :( - just reaffirms how much we struggle to create chances.

Luckily though we've been pretty clinical and/or good at scoring from outside the area - as have Man United, who are just 2 spots above us.

This is where I find statistics really are almost speculation, you can look at those numbers and come up with two very different opinions

- We are so brick in our possession and attacking play that we have no choice but to shoot from outside (the % of conversion argues against this)
- We are good with our possession and our attack on the break play, forces the opposition to literally sit too deep in their own box, opens the space for us to shoot with time/position that leads to good conversion from distance.

Think Bale, defenders dropped off him so hard, he had all the time to pick his spot
Look at Eriksens outside box shots, typically we have pulled the defenders wide or deep and passed to Eriksen making the late run and he just places it.

B8XuNqeCUAA9-Ug.png

backwardstable_3178007a.jpg
any chance we will see the other stats for perspective: sideway passes and forward passes ?

Our record against the best teams is improving:

Top_10_Table.png

It's basically the teams I think are most likely to finish in the top half.

Top_6_Table.png

The top 6 teams are Man C, Man U , Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.

Top_4_Table.png

And the top 4 are Man C, Man U , Chelsea and Arsenal. fudge Liverpool.

Interesting. Question follows: how does Poch improve our defensive without compromising our forward play?

If anything we're going backwards in defence. At least we're still scoring though. And we've stopped haemorrhaging fours, fives and sixes against the top clubs.

PL results since Jan 1st:

P8 - W5 D1 L2 - F20 A14 - Pts 16

5 - 3 Chelsea
1 - 2 Palace
2 - 1 Sunderland
3 - 0 WBA
2 - 1 Arse
2 - 3 Liverpool
2 - 2 West Ham
3 - 2 Swansea

The defense case is interesting, the last 4 games we have conceded 2 goals each game = not good enough

Obviously we have a good keeper, back 4 is better than I think people give them credit for, don't think we allow teams an unusual amount of chances, but somehow concede too many.

Something Poch has to work on

The defense case is interesting, the last 4 games we have conceded 2 goals each game = not good enough

Obviously we have a good keeper, back 4 is better than I think people give them credit for, don't think we allow teams an unusual amount of chances, but somehow concede too many.

Something Poch has to work on

I have said before one of our biggest problems is a lack of a player who can give more protection from M/F to the back four. As good as Bentaleb and Mason may be they lack the ability to be a sweeper in front of the back four, the only guy who who could do that is Stambouli but he needs to play more.

I dunno if I'm reading the stats wrong, but it's what my eyes tell me some of the time too...I think we don't keep the ball well enough relative to how high we push up the pitch. So yes, we have a high percentage of possession in a lot of games but then we give it away and within a very few passes, the opposition gets to have some 1-on-1 battles with our defenders, leading to high quality chances for them even if they don't have that many attacks or that much of the ball. I think the other sides that push up and control possession tend to do so to such a degree, that the opposition is in no shape to do anything with the ball on the occasions they win it, as they are focused on almost total defence (see the amount of clean sheets that Barca and Bayern manage to keep). We just ain't there yet, basically.

I just think we're poorly organised at the back. There is neither the rigour nor the discipline. Players lose concentration, allow themselves to get caught out of position, bunch up too closely in the centre of defence leaving large gaps out wide, lose their man and, though certainly less so nowadays, are too prone to brainfarts.

Not much for Poch to sort out then. :rolleyes:

I note that our starting line up against QPR was the youngest average age since the Premier League/Premiership began. I think that is mighty impressive myself. Even if we do not make top 4 this season (and personally I do not think we will) I think there are positive signs for the future

Read it was the youngest of the season, didn't know it was since the PL began - is that confirmed anywhere?

I dunno if I'm reading the stats wrong, but it's what my eyes tell me some of the time too...I think we don't keep the ball well enough relative to how high we push up the pitch. So yes, we have a high percentage of possession in a lot of games but then we give it away and within a very few passes, the opposition gets to have some 1-on-1 battles with our defenders, leading to high quality chances for them even if they don't have that many attacks or that much of the ball. I think the other sides that push up and control possession tend to do so to such a degree, that the opposition is in no shape to do anything with the ball on the occasions they win it, as they are focused on almost total defence (see the amount of clean sheets that Barca and Bayern manage to keep). We just ain't there yet, basically.
The answer (unless you have players of Barca/Bayern quality) is to be safer and more patient with the ball.

We all know how well that goes down amongst our 4-4-2 contingent.

I note that our starting line up against QPR was the youngest average age since the Premier League/Premiership began. I think that is mighty impressive myself. Even if we do not make top 4 this season (and personally I do not think we will) I think there are positive signs for the future
Apparently it's not even Tottenham' youngest Premier League starting XI

The 10 YOUNGEST teams in Premier League history REVEALED! | talkSPORT

The answer (unless you have players of Barca/Bayern quality) is to be safer and more patient with the ball.

We all know how well that goes down amongst our 4-4-2 contingent.

In certain instances, I agree. But I don't think when we lose it in dangerous areas, it's always down to a lack of patience or taking a big risk. It's often something simple, a stray square pass (Bentaleb and Mason, I love them both, but both can be guilty of this) or just sloppyness (Walker and Dier can sometimes make a mess of simple things that they are perfectly capable of). IMO, when those mega-passing teams lose the ball, it tends to be in their final 3rd with the opposition just happy to get the ball away, meaning that Barca/Bayern often just get the ball straight back to build another attack. But we lose it in more damaging areas due to not being at their level technically/mentally and also, because teams do not fear us in the way that those sides are feared. We are trying to play in that dominant style, but we need to batter a few teams to get that fear factor up, and improve technically (coaching?) and mentally (with experience?)

Another way we provide an easy attack for the opposition is when our wide player comes inside and loses it (Townsend and Lamela are the most guilty). The full-back has often pushed way up outside them and when the wide player drifts in and loses the ball, the flank is exposed unless one of the centre mids can scramble across to cover. But even if they do, when the opposition move the ball quickly into the space on the flank and then inside to where the scrambling centre mid used to be, they get a run at our defence within a very few passes. The quality of chances that opposing teams create against us relative to the possession they have must be amazing.

Yeah and according to that TalkSport article we're certainly a long way from being the youngest ever in the PL. That was 20 years 182 days fielded by Middlesbrough on 07-05-2006 (probably the last day of the season when the outcome no longer mattered).

http://talksport.com/magazine/top-t...ms-premier-league-history-revealed-187774?p=9

Back