• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official Olympic Thread

Good show, let down at the end. The kids were a good idea that just doesn't work. Doesn't compare to Ali or Freeman lighting the flame.
How so? I thought it added a touch of class to the event that this country used to be renowned for. Can you imagine what an impact that will have on their future as well? The Olympic games are about providing a platform for people to shine in. We have given hope to those teenagers, and they will never forget that moment for the rest of their lives.

9:36am: The flame is used to light dozens of torches which rise up to form one, the flame of unity, and thus the Olympic cauldron. So it was the six young athletes who lit the cauldron, not a 'name'. An interesting, if not tad underwhelming, decision. That sets off a fireworks display which lights up London as Pink Floyd plays in the background. A montage of great Olympics moments plays on the video screen.

Bore off ffs, typical aussies. Would have been a fantastic idea had they come up with it.

9:36am: The flame is used to light dozens of torches which rise up to form one, the flame of unity, and thus the Olympic cauldron. So it was the six young athletes who lit the cauldron, not a 'name'. An interesting, if not tad underwhelming, decision. That sets off a fireworks display which lights up London as Pink Floyd plays in the background. A montage of great Olympics moments plays on the video screen.

Bore off ffs, typical aussies. Would have been a fantastic idea had they come up with it.

Lets be honest it was underwhelming - no? We all thought it would be someone like Redgrave or even Beckham etc but not it was young unknowns. I am not against the idea and thought itwas an interesting choice but you cant say it wasnt a tad underwhelming.

Good show, let down at the end. The kids were a good idea that just doesn't work. Doesn't compare to Ali or Freeman lighting the flame.

McCartney was just a very beige choice. Should have gone Spice Girls (seriously).

It was a great idea.

The flame was fudging epic!!

Lets be honest it was underwhelming - no? We all thought it would be someone like Redgrave or even Beckham etc but not it was young unknowns. I am not against the idea and thought itwas an interesting choice but you cant say it wasnt a tad underwhelming.

Did you see what the lit? That's the main thing?

Who lit it in Sydney?

Cathy Freeman. It was spectacular, take a look on YouTube.

And it was passed down from Australian Olympic greats of the past to one of the present (although it was that Games that made her great).

Also a nod of respect to the indigenous people of Australia.

Classy.

We both know Aborigines are second class citizens in Oz. No one outside your crap country gives a fudge or knows about freeman.

We both know Aborigines are second class citizens in Oz. No one outside your crap country gives a fudge or knows about freeman.

I have no idea who those athletes were tonight, not the point though is it.

And the irony of you calling us racist yet referring to Cathy Freeman as a "token abo" isn't lost on me.

Freeman was a nobody until she won gold. It was a complete token gesture. The Barcelona thing was faked, the flame actually missed the cauldron and it lit anyway! :)

Anyway this isn't a dingdong measuring competition. Thought the ceremony was good, well done Britain. Looking forward to all the actual action now too.

Back