• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

I'm fairly sure the FA put out an advisory in the summer saying that if a player left the ground during a tackle they were not in control, therefore dangerous, therefore red card.

I don't think it matters that he didn't make any real contact, that Jones made a meal of it, or that he tried to pull his legs back in, etc. From what I remember it was fairly clear - leave the ground and it's a red, no matter what.

Refs were being consistent about this early in the season and players were doing a very good job of staying in control during tackles (even some intentionally bad ones). The last month or so they've been creeping back in - there's been 3 or 4 at least over the Christmas period and Dean is just doing what he was told.

Oh, and I agree with @Glenda's Legs - Smith was being an utter prick about it and should be forced to publicly retract what he said.

I'm fairly sure the FA put out an advisory in the summer saying that if a player left the ground during a tackle they were not in control, therefore dangerous, therefore red card.

I don't think it matters that he didn't make any real contact, that Jones made a meal of it, or that he tried to pull his legs back in, etc. From what I remember it was fairly clear - leave the ground and it's a red, no matter what.

Refs were being consistent about this early in the season and players were doing a very good job of staying in control during tackles (even some intentionally bad ones). The last month or so they've been creeping back in - there's been 3 or 4 at least over the Christmas period and Dean is just doing what he was told.

Oh, and I agree with @Glenda's Legs - Smith was being an utter prick about it and should be forced to publicly retract what he said.
So if you jump and touches someone with your leg, it's a red card because you are off the ground? That's something!

Sounds very strict to me. Will be interesting to see what happens with the appeal (assuming there is one).

Dangerous play doesn't equal a red card necessarily.

Sounds very strict to me. Will be interesting to see what happens with the appeal (assuming there is one).

Dangerous play doesn't equal a red card necessarily.
I think the reasoning (relying on a very unreliable memory here) is that it's reckless to no longer be able to control your motion into a tackle. That recklessness is enough to warrant punishment as they wanted it removed from the game.

I think the reasoning (relying on a very unreliable memory here) is that it's reckless to no longer be able to control your motion into a tackle. That recklessness is enough to warrant punishment as they wanted it removed from the game.
Reckless depends on more than that though imo. And it's possible (and fairly common) to punish recklessness with a yellow rather than a red.

As an aside, I thought Bilić remained very dignified during his post-match interview with the BBC, despite Jonathan Pearce's apparent determination to focus on questions about the referee to the exclusion of all else. He even says, "I don't want to get you into trouble," or words to that effect, before asking him to comment on it yet again.

As an aside, I thought Bilić remained very dignified during his post-match interview with the BBC, despite Jonathan Pearce's apparent determination to focus on questions about the referee to the exclusion of all else. He even says, "I don't want to get you into trouble," or words to that effect, before asking him to comment on it yet again.
I have to admit to liking Mr Bilic. Very articulate and engaging. Much too good for that club.

Back