• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

Brian Reade column: Stupor Sunday and Mundane Monday must make TV chiefs wary of who's paying the bill

There's a big gap between what firms hiking up prices after they overspent on the rights are selling us and the 'product' being delivered — and audiences are falling
Last Sunday, I was browsing through a magazine when I noticed a TV ratings chart for the week ending October 2nd.

The Great British Bake Off pulled in 13.13 million viewers and Strictly Come Dancing 10.61 million, while EastEnders and Coronation Street were coming in at 7 million and 6.2 million per episode.

Down towards the bottom of the ratings came the three most watched Premier League matches of that week ( Spurs vs Sunderland , Burnley vs Arsenal and Swansea vs Liverpool ) which averaged 940,000 viewers.

Or to put it in some kinds of perspective, 170,000 less than Channel 5’s GPs Behind Closed Doors and a mere 20,000 more than Celebrity Botched-Up Bodies (the one where Gail Porter gets her 28JJ breasts reduced to a C-cup).

I was surprised.

Not just about the existence of a 28JJ cup-size, but by how few people are actually watching Premier League games live on the telly... until I turned mine on and began to watch the first part of Sky’s Super Sunday package, Middlesbrough vs Watford .

It wasn’t so much an advert for Richard Scudamore’s Greatest Show on Earth as a huge pointer to why the latest figures show Sky’s Premier League audiences are down 19 per cent this season.

It was doubtful that game was even the greatest show in Middlesbrough on Sunday, as there must have been car-boot sales going on that offered more excitement — and about 5,000 times better value for money.

As broadcaster Danny Kelly tweeted, in reference to the previous day’s fan protest at Charlton:

The second part of Super Sunday, Southampton vs Burnley , was inevitably an improvement, but so poor was everyone in Sean Dyche’s side apart from keeper Tom Heaton it was probable, as The Times' match reporter noted “that there have been less one-sided games of solitaire.”

'Ah well,' Sky’s ad department must have thought, 'Red Monday will get the juices flowing!'

But having billed Manchester United’s visit to Anfield as a bigger event than Christ’s Second Coming, the dismal goalless draw we got to see was for many a bigger let-down than Sterile Sunday.

“It was hyped to death, and it died a death,” observed Jim Beglin.

Knowing how Mourinho sets up for must-not-lose games and knowing how Jurgen Klopp’s side can struggle when teams do a proper shackling job on them, it was predictable.

But still, when you looked at the level of attacking talent at his disposal (and the money spent to buy that talent) any post-match talk of a Mourinho tactical masterclass was an insult to the human eye.

In 2005, former-Real Madrid coach Jorge Valdano said watching Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea play at Anfield was like staring at “s**t hanging from a stick”.

I wouldn’t go that far about the other night, but let’s remember why the game that was being billed as the most electric club fixture in world football, was taking place on 'Red Monday'...

Because these two were so average last season they had no part to play in the Champions League’s Terrific Tuesday or Wondrous Wednesday.

The top flight of English football has always thrown up passionate matches, memorable goals and dramatic incidents.

But the corporate need to reclaim the money that has been overpaid to televise today’s games has created a huge gap between how this “product” is being sold and what’s actually being delivered.

And were I one of those broadcasters who’ve thrown billions at the Premier League I’d be very wary about continuing to hike up subscriptions to claw that silly-money back.

Because people are starting to notice those hikes at the same time they’re noticing their minds drifting away from the TV to more pleasurable pursuits... like sorting out the cutlery drawer.

Or watching Celebrity Botched-Up Bodies on catch-up.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-stupor-sunday-9080748

and yet Sky's profits continue to rise

I don't see the number of subscribers rising much, so they have to make it up by increasing prices. Sky increased their bids far more than BT did this round. How far can they push it? The fact that you need to subscribe to more than one channel (package) to get a complete product is just ridiculous. Also, where else do you have to pay for lots of stuff you don't need to get what you want? Either let both channels show all the games or start a dedicated PL network and PPV service. Television as we know it isn't far behind print media in becoming obsolete. I can't wait for it to die.

I don't see the number of subscribers rising much, so they have to make it up by increasing prices. Sky increased their bids far more than BT did this round. How far can they push it? The fact that you need to subscribe to more than one channel (package) to get a complete product is just ridiculous. Also, where else do you have to pay for lots of stuff you don't need to get what you want? Either let both channels show all the games or start a dedicated PL network and PPV service. Television as we know it isn't far behind print media in becoming obsolete. I can't wait for it to die.

any continued user base raise in this climate and with BT gaining CL and some PL is still a positive i'd argue

Sky have done a good job with the coverage over the last 20 odd years, but like most media driven businesses these days they are struggling to revitalise their appeal to the average viewer.
BT are bloody awful. Sky will need to change their prices and try and wrestle permission to show 3 o'clock kickoffs. And introduce an 'EPL ticket' for all matches giving the viewer more choice similar to the Bundesliga.

Nothing would please me more for football then to see SKY crash and burn.

If isn't sky it will be some other broadcaster- no one can turn the clock back.
Football is a commodity just like movies and computer games.
If Sky go bust it will be a Disney or another large corporate broadcaster.

The PL bids were opened up in the misguided belief that competition would be good for the consumer. This can be true but not when there is not full competition, in this instance they are not selling the same product, they can't compete on price or introduce efficiencies as they are not selling the same thing as they are separate blocks - if you want to watch all games you cant chose your supplier etc. They are competing to win the package off of the PL not competing to win consumers.

What the competition has increased is revenues to the clubs, this was not the goal and should be looked at again, assuming that was the goal.

I'd rather watch the current EPL than the current Dutch or French league.

It's far from perfect but we should be careful what we wish for.

The PL bids were opened up in the misguided belief that competition would be good for the consumer. This can be true but not when there is not full competition, in this instance they are not selling the same product, they can't compete on price or introduce efficiencies as they are not selling the same thing as they are separate blocks - if you want to watch all games you cant chose your supplier etc. They are competing to win the package off of the PL not competing to win consumers.

What the competition has increased is revenues to the clubs, this was not the goal and should be looked at again, assuming that was the goal.

I bet it was

Is it only me or have others also noticed that Chelsea are also sort of under the radar? They don't get mentioned much, until now when Moaninho returns. Their problem though, seems to be that the players are not in form at the same time. Oscar and Willian have been really bad so far, but Hazard and Costa are back, and keeping them in it atm. Costa's card amnesty is still in place it seems. Hopefully that will be lifted sooner rather than later, and he will be back to watching games from the stands. But if they get more players going, they could be dangerous.

Arsenal are particularly lucky this seasson. I don't even think I'm biased when I say that. They se to get bailed out by the Gods just about every weekend.

Back