• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

This intent rule has always seemed silly to me. It's also not enforced correctly -- defenders rarely intentionally handball in the box, yet penalties are still given.

It's ultimately impossible to know what someone's intentions are. It should just be if it hits your hand then it's a free kick or penalty - only expection being if your arm is against your body.

This intent rule has always seemed silly to me. It's also not enforced correctly -- defenders rarely intentionally handball in the box, yet penalties are still given.

It's ultimately impossible to know what someone's intentions are. It should just be if it hits your hand then it's a free kick or penalty - only expection being if your arm is against your body.

I think the rules need to explicit, they should be written in a way that removes all ambiguity, if an action isn't contrary then play on

obviously we can't tell what the original thought process of this rule is but it seems reasonable (to me at least) that it's not intended to penalise accidental contact of the ball by a hand

i'd be happier if they went down the route you suggest as that gives a greater chance of consistency

If had hit a defenders hand like that?

IMHO Penalty

That was my take on it as well. If Koscielny had prevented a goal at the other end with his arms in that position, he'd probably have been sent off, and when he was reffing, I expect Mr Gallagher would have had his card out as quick as any of his colleagues.

Gawd damn I hate international football.

England vs Malta
Azerbaijan vs Norway
Scotland vs Lithuania

What a feast.

I will never again complain about the likes of West Brom vs Sunderland being the chosen game on tv. Okay, maybe not, but it sounds mighty appetizing right now.

I don't think that would work at all.

Attackers would just kick the ball against hands / arms.

If players can nutmeg other players from close range, then they'll have the ability to hit an arm, and similarly, the opponent won't be able to react in time.

If players can nutmeg other players from close range, then they'll have the ability to hit an arm, and similarly, the opponent won't be able to react in time.

If there is a way of abusing the rules or spirit of the game coaches and players will do it.

Then the referee would have to make the decision, did the attacker deliberately kick the ball with the intention of getting a handball call?

The obvious example, is the defender shielding his goal from the attacker with the ball and, the attacker just flips the ball up to get what he hopes, a cheap penalty.

In an extreme example. A defender is lying on his backside in the penalty box having failed in his attempt to make a tackle and the attacker, rather than shoots to score a goal, changes his angles so as to roll the ball over the defenders hand, again in the hope of a cheap penalty.

If the referee deems these acts to be deliberate in the hope of meriting the cheap penalty, then a yellow card to the attacker should be the outcome, same as other acts of unsporting behaviour.

Then the referee would have to make the decision, did the attacker deliberately kick the ball with the intention of getting a handball call?

The obvious example, is the defender shielding his goal from the attacker with the ball and, the attacker just flips the ball up to get what he hopes, a cheap penalty.

In an extreme example. A defender is lying on his backside in the penalty box having failed in his attempt to make a tackle and the attacker, rather than shoots to score a goal, changes his angles so as to roll the ball over the defenders hand, again in the hope of a cheap penalty.

If the referee deems these acts to be deliberate in the hope of meriting the cheap penalty, then a yellow card to the attacker should be the outcome, same as other acts of unsporting behaviour.

That would just replace one judgement of intent with another. Arguably a harder call.

The rule would say anytime the ball hits the hand its handball other than when the Attacker purposely aims for the ball to hit the hand? I do not agree that this would be easier to spot.

I don't think there's much wrong with what the refs are asked to judge at the moment (whether there is deliberate movement of hand to ball, or whether the arms are in an 'unnatural' position, which amounts to seeking unfair advantage). The difficulty is that they have to make their decision in real time, without necessarily having a good view of it, so once again, all that's required to make all the controversy and all the weekly hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth go away is the option of asking for help where possible from a video ref.

I don't think there's much wrong with what the refs are asked to judge at the moment (whether there is deliberate movement of hand to ball, or whether the arms are in an 'unnatural' position, which amounts to seeking unfair advantage). The difficulty is that they have to make their decision in real time, without necessarily having a good view of it, so once again, all that's required to make all the controversy and all the weekly hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth go away is the option of asking for help where possible from a video ref.
Won't be any better. We and all the "experts" can't agree even after weeks of watching situations over and over again from countless angles.

Back