• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2015/16 Premier League Thread

really can't believe some of the responses to my post here, if costa was playing for us and he did that to Koscielny, he would be a hero, at the end of the day I want to see my team win, and they won't do it by shaking hands at the end of the game and having a beer with each other, this is a man's game and its physical, I don't really care if the opposition gets a black eye, I'd take silverware over being bottom of the fair play table.

Costa's behaviour is unacceptable in my opinion. I prefer players like Graham Roberts who play hard and mostly fair. Costa's jabs in the ribs, clawing at people's faces etc. don't belong, IN MY OPINION, at Spurs. We have had hard men in the past but I don't recall any who have the pure 'street fighter' approach of Costa, who is in a similar league to Suarez, except that he has control over what he does. Mr. B, would you like Suarez at Spurs?

really can't believe some of the responses to my post here, if costa was playing for us and he did that to Koscielny, he would be a hero,

maybe he would. but only because we would be blinded by our bias in that scenario. assault should never be applauded or justified.
at the end of the day I want to see my team win, and they won't do it by shaking hands at the end of the game and having a beer with each other, this is a man's game and its physical, I don't really care if the opposition gets a black eye, I'd take silverware over being bottom of the fair play table.

i dont mind seeing our players dive/obstruct/shirt pull etc. but i draw the line at assault and physical violence. for me, costa's behaviour is not welcome at the lane

maybe he would. but only because we would be blinded by our bias in that scenario. assault should never be applauded or justified.

i dont mind seeing our players dive/obstruct/shirt pull etc. but i draw the line at assault and physical violence. for me, costa's behaviour is not welcome at the lane

Personally I draw the line at diving. But I'm 'of a certain age' when that sort of behaviour was frowned upon.

Personally I draw the line at diving. But I'm 'of a certain age' when that sort of behaviour was frowned upon.

the problem i have with this is, whats the difference between a dive and a shirt pull? theyre both deceptive forms of cheating (with no violence involved)

seems to me like people only dislike diving because theyve been indoctrinated to think in that way from a young age. whilst other similar offenses (i.e shirt pulling) has been taught as a "clever" form of defending

the problem i have with this is, whats the difference between a dive and a shirt pull? theyre both deceptive forms of cheating (with no violence involved)
The dive is an attempt at simulating that a foul has been committed by another player and puts them at risk of punishment when they have done no wrong. A shirt pull is a straight up foul. Obviously both are against the rules but the dive is a more insidious form of rule breaking. In my opinion.

The dive is an attempt at simulating that a foul has been committed by another player and puts them at risk of punishment when they have done no wrong. A shirt pull is a straight up foul. Obviously both are against the rules but the dive is a more insidious form of rule breaking. In my opinion.

good point. but would you be any more accepting of a dive in the middle of the pitch where there is no chance of the opponenet getting booked?

whilst i do think that your point is a good one, and totally valid. i think you may be trying to find a difference between diving and other offenses which you do not find as distateful, rather than actaully trying to see why diving is any worse.

for me, someone is against all forms of cheating or they should be more accepting of diving. just my personal opinion

good point. but would you be any more accepting of a dive in the middle of the pitch where there is no chance of the opponenet getting booked?

whilst i do think that your point is a good one, and totally valid. i think you may be trying to find a difference between diving and other offenses which you do not find as distateful, rather than actaully trying to see why diving is any worse.

for me, someone is against all forms of cheating or they should be more accepting of diving. just my personal opinion

I am against diving anywhere on the pitch. I think diving is worse than shirt pulling, as one example of breaking the rules, because it simulates a non-existent foul from an opponent. When you pull a shirt, kick someone, obstruct them, YOU are committing the foul, not tricking the ref that SOMEONE ELSE has committed the foul. Football has always been a game where there are tangible rewards for breaking the rules, but there have always been rule breaking acts that have been seen as worse than others. Why does the game look so harshly at spitting as compared to an over-the-top tackle?

Costa's behaviour is unacceptable in my opinion. I prefer players like Graham Roberts who play hard and mostly fair. Costa's jabs in the ribs, clawing at people's faces etc. don't belong, IN MY OPINION, at Spurs. We have had hard men in the past but I don't recall any who have the pure 'street fighter' approach of Costa, who is in a similar league to Suarez, except that he has control over what he does. Mr. B, would you like Suarez at Spurs?

you ask any liverpool fan and they will tell you of how they miss the serial biter, look what he did for them, he almost won them the league. Its great to see Neymar taking the moral high ground but I would argue this club needs someone of Suarez's ilk, a cantona that also had a bad side, look at Rooney chasing the ref every time a decision goes against him, nice guys finish last in life and in sport. If Costa was a y-id and won us a cup, we wouldn't care less about him getting sent off or other teams balking us and its not as if we have to worry about a media bias against us.

Football has always been a game where there are tangible rewards for breaking the rules, but there have always been rule breaking acts that have been seen as worse than others. Why does the game look so harshly at spitting as compared to an over-the-top tackle?

this is because football has its roots in the working class "male dominated" culture. thats also why acts like waving an imaginery card is frowned upon too. its no different to school yard bullies being against grassers.

just because there have been some unwritten rules or codes of conduct that have existed for a long time, it doenst make them right

you ask any liverpool fan and they will tell you of how they miss the serial biter, look what he did for them, he almost won them the league. Its great to see Neymar taking the moral high ground but I would argue this club needs someone of Suarez's ilk, a cantona that also had a bad side, look at Rooney chasing the ref every time a decision goes against him, nice guys finish last in life and in sport. If Costa was a y-id and won us a cup, we wouldn't care less about him getting sent off or other teams balking us and its not as if we have to worry about a media bias against us.

Some of us would mind though. Just like some of us want us to win in style and not grind out dull 1-0. I personally would NOT like a Costa/Suarez type at Spurs. A player like Suarez who bites, kicks, stamps, feigns injury until he sees there is a break on then gets up and sprints (like he did against Norwich). And nice guys don't always finish last in sport or in life. They tend not to do as well as socio- and psychopathic people, but then again, they are able to feel things like decency and empathy. You are totally entitled to what I perceive as a 'win at any cost' approach - although I don't know what limits you have to winning. I don't want that. And thanks for the decent discussion.

COYS!!

No one wants to win as much as me, but when I shake someone's hand at the end of game and walk away I want to know and them to that I won because I was better than them. Not luckier or a better cheat, just better on the day.
There's no glory in an undeserved win.

Back