• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Left Side

i would explain the difference between a starting position laid out for the sake of magazines and what actually happens in a football game throughout 90 minutes but i can't be bothered.

i would also explain who jesus naves and david silva are also. maybe another time

cool dude,...Its okay that you dont know btw.
no one here really rates / hears whatpeople say when they speak to people like the way you spoke to rossi. why should they

i would explain the difference between a starting position laid out for the sake of magazines and what actually happens in a football game throughout 90 minutes but i can't be bothered.

i would also explain who jesus naves and david silva are also. maybe another time

Silva is in the lineup I posted? I also already addressed Navas, he was in City's lineup to start the season but eventually became nothing more than a pacey wide option when they needed it. Both teams played with little width, whether in actuality or in magazines ...

City:

IBvoFc4.jpg

That's how they lined up and yes I watched them. Players move on the pitch, they're not stuck to one position and of course at times the likes of Silva and Nasri would've been wide but on the whole, none of their front six provided much width at all. That was primarily down to the full backs.

Liverpool:

NI6r3dJ.jpg

That was their starting positions, the front three were fluid, all moving wide when needed but ultimately they'd drop back centrally and look to hurt teams there. None of them are exactly natural wide players are they? You may say Sterling and make the comparison to Aaron Lennon but he hasn't played that particular role for a good six months. I'm sorry you feel I'm horribly wrong with what I've said but perhaps you'd like to offer up an alternative rather than a patronising reply claiming I got that from reading a magazine.

article-1105048-0093084700000578-978_468x456.jpg

Silva is in the lineup I posted? I also already addressed Navas, he was in City's lineup to start the season but eventually became nothing more than a pacey wide option when they needed it. Both teams played with little width, whether in actuality or in magazines ...

City:

IBvoFc4.jpg

That's how they lined up and yes I watched them. Players move on the pitch, they're not stuck to one position and of course at times the likes of Silva and Nasri would've been wide but on the whole, none of their front six provided much width at all. That was primarily down to the full backs.

Liverpool:

NI6r3dJ.jpg

That was their starting positions, the front three were fluid, all moving wide when needed but ultimately they'd drop back centrally and look to hurt teams there. None of them are exactly natural wide players are they? You may say Sterling and make the comparison to Aaron Lennon but he hasn't played that particular role for a good six months. I'm sorry you feel I'm horribly wrong with what I've said but perhaps you'd like to offer up an alternative rather than a patronising reply claiming I got that from reading a magazine.
Anyone who have followed Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool last season should know's right

=D> Great post. :)

cool dude,...Its okay that you dont know btw.
no one here really rates / hears whatpeople say when they speak to people like the way you spoke to rossi. why should they

don't take it personally dude. sometimes armchair fans annoy me a little so i comment obnoxiously.
as we are still on the subject .... just because a clueless commentator or pundit uses a word like diamond formation it doesn't make it so. yes BR also said he found the diamond formation later on in the season ( I saw the interview where he harped on his new 41212 formation) but thats just language for the sake of conversation. the facts are most fans pay attention to commentary and interviews more than actually watching the game. in reality suarez, sturridge and sterling spend HUGE amounts of the game in the channels stretching the opposition making space for team mates. Jesus Navas had huge success last year as an out and out winger. David Silva although cut in between the lines where knobody could pick up his runs did so from out wide. Actually, the fact that his starting position and his actual position where not the same (same and eriksen and lallana) is what made it so difficult for teams to cope with him.

So to say that the big scoring teams did so without width is ridiculous. My obnoxious comment was a result of my assumption that who ever it was that said otherwise just watches the first 5 minutes of a game where they see the formation and then go get a cup of tea and come back in the room when a goal is scored.

There is no way anybody with half a brain can logically minimise the importance of width in a football match. Using Barca, Madrid and Bayern as examples are pathetic and lazy examples. Yes, none of those teams have width (all wingers are inverted) but they have exceptional players who can get away with their predictable cutting inside every time they get the ball.

The biggest frustration for me last season was seeing chadli and townsend midway through a counter attack where the play desperately needed direct outside play and a ball in the box. Instead time and time again they cut in, allowing the opponent the time to get back and the attack came to nothing. It was painfully predictable and neither TS, AVB nor some fans on here couldn't spot the obvious mistakes me were making EVERY GAME.

The biggest frustration for me last season was seeing chadli and townsend midway through a counter attack where the play desperately needed direct outside play and a ball in the box.

You want our players to intentionally take a very, very low return choice? How would that benefit us?

You want our players to intentionally take a very, very low return choice? How would that benefit us?

There was countless occasions where for a second or two we had the defence out numbered and all it took was whoever had the ball (usually chadli or townsend) to use the pace they have in their locker to beat the man and put the ball in the box where either soldado/adebayor who took good position or paulinho who would be making a ghosting run would have scored. instead they cut inside and pondered.

and pondered

and pondered.

in my humble opinion soldado is a limited player and cutting inside and playing the ball to his feet is nowhere near as effective as playing balls into space and allowing him to get onto the end of passes to score (as he did so often for Valencia)
likewise paulinho.... an early ball into the box will see him score more.

These are not my fabricated theories, these are observations from watching us play every game last season.

There was countless occasions where for a second or two we had the defence out numbered and all it took was whoever had the ball (usually chadli or townsend) to use the pace they have in their locker to beat the man and put the ball in the box where either soldado/adebayor who took good position or paulinho who would be making a ghosting run would have scored. instead they cut inside and pondered.

and pondered

and pondered.

in my humble opinion soldado is a limited player and cutting inside and playing the ball to his feet is nowhere near as effective as playing balls into space and allowing him to get onto the end of passes to score (as he did so often for Valencia)
likewise paulinho.... an early ball into the box will see him score more.

These are not my fabricated theories, these are observations from watching us play every game last season.
That simply discounts all the times it was played inside and worked. Or all the times we crossed the ball only for some lump of a centre half to put it on the halfway line.

That simply discounts all the times it was played inside and worked. Or all the times we crossed the ball only for some lump of a centre half to put it on the halfway line.

my memory must be bad then cos i don't remember it working.

to expand on the subject. if we are to cut inside we must have a strong CF. the inverted winger if he doesnt see a chance to shoot will play a quick pass to the loan striker who needs to either hold the ball up or lay it off for a one/two or triangle. AVB insisted on inverted wingers but then put Soldado to be that striker. You either play a strong striker if you insist on inverted wingers or if you insist on using soldado then you must have at least one of your wingers on the side of his natural foot.

we did neither - there was so many things wrong with us last season it was unreal. avb was literally the perfect definition of an armchair manager. nothing he ever did was practical or plausible.

I hope we never see anything like that again.

ahhhh shhheeeeeeeeeeeEEEEETT.

you see this is the problem with what you did,

you come in here making some bold claims about some talent from holland....you go n depth and explain his qualitis and what he is about.......he doesnt play....you are in his corner backing him up....he plays well....you back him up......when he had a bad patch you still supported him and knew what he was capable of.

AberYid in the topic of Eriksen = Right every time.......therefore mofo knows his ****.

Now i am starting to doubt myself..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

okay here is my question...why would you want to spoil something thats working well for the guy?

For the same reasons you were convinced Bale would make it centrally, not out left ;)

don't take it personally dude. sometimes armchair fans annoy me a little so i comment obnoxiously.
as we are still on the subject .... just because a clueless commentator or pundit uses a word like diamond formation it doesn't make it so. yes BR also said he found the diamond formation later on in the season ( I saw the interview where he harped on his new 41212 formation) but thats just language for the sake of conversation. the facts are most fans pay attention to commentary and interviews more than actually watching the game. in reality suarez, sturridge and sterling spend HUGE amounts of the game in the channels stretching the opposition making space for team mates. Jesus Navas had huge success last year as an out and out winger. David Silva although cut in between the lines where knobody could pick up his runs did so from out wide. Actually, the fact that his starting position and his actual position where not the same (same and eriksen and lallana) is what made it so difficult for teams to cope with him.

So to say that the big scoring teams did so without width is ridiculous. My obnoxious comment was a result of my assumption that who ever it was that said otherwise just watches the first 5 minutes of a game where they see the formation and then go get a cup of tea and come back in the room when a goal is scored.

There is no way anybody with half a brain can logically minimise the importance of width in a football match. Using Barca, Madrid and Bayern as examples are pathetic and lazy examples. Yes, none of those teams have width (all wingers are inverted) but they have exceptional players who can get away with their predictable cutting inside every time they get the ball.

The biggest frustration for me last season was seeing chadli and townsend midway through a counter attack where the play desperately needed direct outside play and a ball in the box. Instead time and time again they cut in, allowing the opponent the time to get back and the attack came to nothing. It was painfully predictable and neither TS, AVB nor some fans on here couldn't spot the obvious mistakes me were making EVERY GAME.

Djiiis man. Affy very calmly gave you a solid piece of advice on how to actually get your thoughts across on here, and you accuse him of taking it personally?

Yes Navas had success as an out and out winger, but he only started 18 games. Who were the other out and out wingers at City? I would say that for at least the majority of the time Navas wasn't on the pitch they played without an out and out winger, and that's what Rossi is talking about with a lack of width from attacking players, and that's what we're talking about with Eriksen on the left in this thread. We're not talking about playing with no width at all.

Surely the kind of stuff you talk about like working the channels, moving inside from wide (different starting and actual positions) can be done by our players too.

Yes, last season was frustrating, but that doesn't mean that everything that happened last season has to be changed.

Djiiis man. Affy very calmly gave you a solid piece of advice on how to actually get your thoughts across on here, and you accuse him of taking it personally?

Yes Navas had success as an out and out winger, but he only started 18 games. Who were the other out and out wingers at City? I would say that for at least the majority of the time Navas wasn't on the pitch they played without an out and out winger, and that's what Rossi is talking about with a lack of width from attacking players, and that's what we're talking about with Eriksen on the left in this thread. We're not talking about playing with no width at all.

Surely the kind of stuff you talk about like working the channels, moving inside from wide (different starting and actual positions) can be done by our players too.

Yes, last season was frustrating, but that doesn't mean that everything that happened last season has to be changed.

They can but don't. Last season they were robots receiving the ball and just mindlessly cutting in to either to be tackled or smothered. There was no interchange or purpose.
Liverpools centre forwards i.e sturidge and suarez who start in the middle actually provide more width than our "wingers" by pulling out wide dragging defenders with them leaving spaces. We on the other hand did the opposite.
City and Liverpool use width end of story. To show a print of starting formation is completely ignorant to what happens over 90 minutes of football. That was my point, my whole point and nothing but that point.

if you watched the game of football and not a cut and paste of a football formation you would know that too

no offence off course. peace and love to all

Last edited:
There's a simple way to solve this debate.

Can someone dig up some heat maps of the relevant players from last season?

They can but don't. Last season they were robots receiving the ball and just mindlessly cutting in to either to be tackled or smothered. There was no interchange or purpose.
Liverpools centre forwards i.e sturidge and suarez who start in the middle actually provide more width than our "wingers" by pulling out wide dragging defenders with them leaving spaces. We on the other hand did the opposite.
City and Liverpool use width end of story. To show a print of starting formation is completely ignorant to what happens over 90 minutes of football. That was my point, my whole point and nothing but that point.

if you watched the game of football and not a cut and paste of a football formation you would know that too

no offence off course. peace and love to all

Clearly we all hope we improve on those factors this season, if not there's not much hope regardless of selection.

Do you really, honestly, think that the point being made in the post you got obnoxious in response to was that we should play with no width at all? Re-read the page and the context it was made in, take half a second to assume that the poster isn't an imbecile and I really think it's pretty clear that he's not just cut and pasting a football formation.

Back