• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Left Side

Oddly enough, I watched the World Cup final again last night ...

Was that a cross from which the winning goal was scored or just a pass from out wide?

But wasn't the cross from a FB to an inverted winger who had drifted in pitch?

You're wrong but that's just my opinion. Take VDV. Christian is a carbon copy of him IMO and I wouldn't want VDV out on the left. It's all opinions but I drink every Thursday with a group of 11 season ticket holders who can't understand why anyone would want him played on the left wing and they go home and away so see the play a lot closer than me.

Play him there if we're short yes but get someone in. For me a winger takes on his man, whips the ball into the edge of the six yard box for the number 9 to slot home and that isn't Eriksen.

IIRC vdV played much of his early career on the left.

Eriksen on the left to me is the same concept as Modric on the left.

Your main playmaker, who is physically small and adapting to a league (and maturing as a player), out left he is less exposed defensively, has freedom to drift in as attacker.

Eventually Eriksen will be in the middle, but it completely makes sense why he's out left now.

Spot on.

Eriksen just doesn't stamp authority on games enough YET to play principally in the centre. It will come - perhaps next season, perhaps in a couple.

soldado

lennon - eriksen - lamela

with all for switching places and cutting in at will would be awesome for me. (so it really doesn't matter who starts on the left)

soldado

lennon - eriksen - lamela

with all for switching places and cutting in at will would be awesome for me. (so it really doesn't matter who starts on the left)

Agreed. Free flowing and all capable of moving around with either skill or pace with the ability to either play a good ball or finish.

Two assists from Soldado last night. Find it amazing that we turned him from deadly poacher to pretty decent hold up player who creates

I expect to see a fluid front three of lamela, eriksen and a striker

Ade, soldado and Kane can all work the channels and Eriksen, lamela and holtby can all run from deep or wide to get onto things

So it won't matter so much who starts there

Interestingly at the moment we are not playing a front 3, rather 3 behind a sole striker

You're wrong but that's just my opinion. Take VDV. Christian is a carbon copy of him IMO and I wouldn't want VDV out on the left. It's all opinions but I drink every Thursday with a group of 11 season ticket holders who can't understand why anyone would want him played on the left wing and they go home and away so see the play a lot closer than me.

Play him there if we're short yes but get someone in. For me a winger takes on his man, whips the ball into the edge of the six yard box for the number 9 to slot home and that isn't Eriksen.

Why would you use VdV on the left as a comparison? Although both are fairly two footed VdV is left footed and Eriksen is right footed. A much more apt comparison would be VdV on the right.

And VdV isn't a carbon copy of Eriksen imo.

That's your definition of winger, and that's fair. But there are other ways to play wide than to play like that. As seen with a lot of very successful teams in recent years.

VDV and Eriksen are the same mould of player hence the comparison. I'd argue that the point of a winger is to assist and always has been all day long I'm not quite sure what's being argued here lol.

VDV and Eriksen are the same mould of player hence the comparison. I'd argue that the point of a winger is to assist and always has been all day long I'm not quite sure what's being argued here lol.

Depends on your definition of a winger. Sure, a traditional winger is primarily looking to put crosses in and get assists. What I'm saying is that this is not the only way to play in a wide role and with 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 formations in particular some wide players play very differently to traditional wingers. Like I've already mentioned a player like Silva can't be categorized as a winger, but he's done really well at least at times cutting in from a wide position.

Going by last night's display, I don't think we will have a "left side" so to speak.

But..... but......

Who will pass the dutchie?

martin-oneill_1693881c.jpg

The top two in the league last season played without width from the attacking players

Yaya Fernandinho
Silva ---------- Nasri
Aguero Dzegredo

Gerrard
Henderson ----- Coutinho
Sterling
Sturridge Suarez​

They each managed to score over 100 goals.

Agreed. Free flowing and all capable of moving around with either skill or pace with the ability to either play a good ball or finish.

Two assists from Soldado last night. Find it amazing that we turned him from deadly poacher to pretty decent hold up player who creates

its what Manchester UTD did with Andy Cole, he went from a goal poacher to a couple of seasons there where he didn't score and picked up a bigger role in the team, once he had it down the goals returned.

In iterations 1 through 967 I always have Eriksen in the middle. Either I need to expand my thinking, or it's a need that also has to be addressed. What would Holtby look like over there?

expand your thinking. I am assuming you're applying a more regimented thought process to your thinking of erisken but then your horizons are broad enough to consider holtby in there? which makes me think you are focusing on the END positioning of erisken with all his highlights and influential periods and thinking that this is where he should be all the time to get the best out of him?

think of it in a more historical sense...and also from start to finish of eriksens movement and i think iteration 968 might consider having him on the left

his best games for tottenham , what is his starting position? ...Left
what kind of players complement him in that position that makes the overall team play tick? :-
An attacking left back....
1 or 2 front men that will be able to break the line and actually get in the box as opposed to obessing on hold up play
someone on the right side that would be able to bend his runs inwards for more threatening positions
and a centre mid that overalps and breaks the defensive line

All these guys benefit from erisken STARTING out on the left because not only can eriksen play central , he can play out wide...so him being out wide puts the opposition in a connundrum as to whether to follow the golden rule of keeping their shape...or break their shape due to the unorthodox movement and positioning of the tottenham players....cause now you potentially have a left wide playmaker in the middle......a left back at the wing...two strikers marauding.....and am optional midfielder overlapping ...or even the full back on the right side (if lamela is playing on the right wing)

the whole process puts the opposition in ultra defensive mode or in a situation where breaking up their defensive structure is essential. In the mean time...no one knows who is picking up Eriksen...is it the CB? the holding mid? the right back? the right mid? no matter who picks him up....they will have to leave their primary designated mark to go and cover erisken's outlawish movement....opening up things for everyone else

this is actually why erisken had great games, cause he had the either the time & space , or he had a vast amount of options to make a next play

I actually think its a no brainer to play eriksen out there on the left unless we can get someone else that can do what he does...Dzagoev? Pjanic?

the real question for me is who is going to play in the middle of the park......cause paulinho needs to get dropped

Why would you use VdV on the left as a comparison? Although both are fairly two footed VdV is left footed and Eriksen is right footed. A much more apt comparison would be VdV on the right.

And VdV isn't a carbon copy of Eriksen imo.

That's your definition of winger, and that's fair. But there are other ways to play wide than to play like that. As seen with a lot of very successful teams in recent years.

and vdv wouldnt be on the left to mimic eriksen anyway...he would be on the right.

which is where harry played him a couple of times but his work rate was not good enough on the defensive end , plus he was always gassing out

and as said...there are similarities but also distinct differences between the two....and thats probably primarily down to physical and athletic restrictions

The top two in the league last season played without width from the attacking players

Yaya Fernandinho
Silva ---------- Nasri
Aguero Dzegredo

Gerrard
Henderson ----- Coutinho
Sterling
Sturridge Suarez​

well said

Yaya Fernandinho
Silva ---------- Nasri
Aguero Dzegredo

Gerrard
Henderson ----- Coutinho
Sterling
Sturridge Suarez​

those formations and lineups are incorrect. did you watch the live games or just the setups in a magazine?

those formations and lineups are incorrect. did you watch the live games or just the setups in a magazine?

Yes, I watched thanks. City had Navas as their wide option when they needed it but the above is generally how they lined up, whilst Liverpool switched from a 433 to a diamond when they realised how much Sterling was hurting teams from a central position.

Affy, Eriksen in the middle. I told you this last year. You know it's right ;)

ahhhh shhheeeeeeeeeeeEEEEETT.

you see this is the problem with what you did,

you come in here making some bold claims about some talent from holland....you go n depth and explain his qualitis and what he is about.......he doesnt play....you are in his corner backing him up....he plays well....you back him up......when he had a bad patch you still supported him and knew what he was capable of.

AberYid in the topic of Eriksen = Right every time.......therefore mofo knows his ****.

Now i am starting to doubt myself..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

okay here is my question...why would you want to spoil something thats working well for the guy?

eerrrrmm...those formations are SPOT ON

the only thing i would say is that liverpool played a variety of formations last season but the one rossi posted is definately one that was played extensively in the second part of the season...had stacks of goals in it too

so being slightly patronizing to the poster that got the answer correct in the first place aside would you mind volunteering the formations then?

i would explain the difference between a starting position laid out for the sake of magazines and what actually happens in a football game throughout 90 minutes but i can't be bothered.

i would also explain who jesus naves and david silva are also. maybe another time

Back