• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Immense Struggle to avoid the European Conference League

Whaf I find pretty amazing is that pre-op Conte was a man , I mean respected and his name sung by fans. He has emergency surgery, is out, we start losing and fall out of 2 cups and he’s suddenly the bogie man. Odd that no one even cares. Are we that heartless?
See Emerson.

Whaf I find pretty amazing is that pre-op Conte was a man , I mean respected and his name sung by fans. He has emergency surgery, is out, we start losing and fall out of 2 cups and he’s suddenly the bogie man. Odd that no one even cares. Are we that heartless?

Managers are governed by their success, you can't conflate his results and illness to say people are heartless TBH. Well you can but I don't agree with it. I feel sorry for his illness and his losses, the cup exits (two under his full health watch) and recent results with a team and backroom staff under his vision have been poor, it was not great before his illness either. Not heartless, just not two of the same thing

Emerson used on subsequent post as example, play poorly and can't cross a ball you will be called on it, improve and fans will say so, I call that level thinking especially for a player who does not have the same level of cash in the bank as Son, but even Son gets critics for poor performances, not sure its harsh TBH

Emerson used on subsequent post as example, play poorly and can't cross a ball you will be called on it, improve and fans will say so, I call that level thinking especially for a player who does not have the same level of cash in the bank as Son, but even Son gets critics for poor performances, not sure its harsh TBH
You think calling Emerson 'a useless fudging clam' is level thinking?

Managers are governed by their success, you can't conflate his results and illness to say people are heartless TBH. Well you can but I don't agree with it. I feel sorry for his illness and his losses, the cup exits (two under his full health watch) and recent results with a team and backroom staff under his vision have been poor, it was not great before his illness either. Not heartless, just not two of the same thing

I think you give a very generous version of things. Fans didn’t just ‘call it’ in regards to Emerson, he got a ridiculous amount of abuse both online and in the stadium. Our fans constantly created a ridiculously toxic atmosphere when things aren’t going our way which makes it doubly hard for both players and managers to truly succeed here. Yeah the atmosphere might be going great when we are on one of our ‘glory glory’ nights but true support is about when the chips are down.

As for Conte yes performances in general have not been up to standard, but fudge me some of the nonsense being posted to suit agendas is ridiculous. And after a decent performance against Nottingham Forest who granted aren’t Real Madrid, rather than just enjoy and acknowledge a performance Contes thread is full of posts whinging about how he didn’t make subs earlier - it’s all rather sad, and people wonder why we don’t truly succeed and why our fans have the rep of suffering delusions of grandeur.

Sure, get Poch back and he will get more time with fans - but once it becomes apparent for the umpteenth time that we aren’t going anywhere and we have a significant drop off in performance which like all clubs we will go through again then the fans will turn on Poch as many did last time…..

What I find pretty amazing is that pre-op Conte was a man , I mean respected and his name sung by fans. He has emergency surgery, is out, we start losing and fall out of 2 cups and he’s suddenly the bogie man. Odd that no one even cares. Are we that heartless?

I don't think he's being made out to be a bogie man, bar the few extreme voices online - we're entering the final few months of his contract and people are either for or against him remaining in the job, with some of those who don't want the club to renew his contract prefering him to leave sooner as opposed to in the summer - none of those opinions are irrational.

This has been a disappointing season with no real progress shown on the pitch and 3 poor early exits in the cups and not much in the way of acknowledgement from the management that we should be doing better than that.

I imagine like most supporters want us to qualify for CL as it brings cash to club, improves clubs image/standing in world game and helps recruitment.
If we don't qualify I'd rather miss out on European football, this might give us a better opportunity to give domestic cups greater focus and allow more preparation and rest for league games.

Bill Nicholson's quote about being in Europe was made at a time when only winners were playing in Europe, no place for runners up in the Latvian league or Maltesse cup winners. In our first year in Europe we played 8 games and reached semis the following year we played 7 and won cup and we did not enter the league cup.

Being out of Europe is not a bad thing if you can capitalize on the time it gives you to go all out in domestic games.
How about the time it gives you to go all out for the league? Why do we have to think like a midtable team? By the time the first cup round starts, we'd already be 12-15 games into the season. By the time we get to the business end of the cups we'd be closer to 20-22 games into the season. If we happen to be within a couple of points of top spot and we have a crucial game against City to put us in top spot preceded by a midweek cup game against Cheltenham, I'd be royally tinkled if we went all out in the cup game at the expense of focusing on the league. Since you brought up Bill Nick, "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

How about the time it gives you to go all out for the league? Why do we have to think like a midtable team? By the time the first cup round starts, we'd already be 12-15 games into the season. By the time we get to the business end of the cups we'd be closer to 20-22 games into the season. If we happen to be within a couple of points of top spot and we have a crucial game against City to put us in top spot preceded by a midweek cup game against Cheltenham, I'd be royally tinkled if we went all out in the cup game at the expense of focusing on the league. Since you brought up Bill Nick, "It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

I thought I mentioned we would have time to prepare for league at end of paragraph, finishing as high in league as possible has always got to be our main aim, didn't think it needed saying. I've failed to make my point that if not in Europe we would not have to put out weak teams in cups and have a greater focus on them but not at the expense of our league ambitions.

Possibly a more apt quote.

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe...we're nothing. We're nothing."

Am I mistaken, or do we have an option on another year?

Seems like there should be no rush from the clubs point of view to get an extension done mid season if that’s the case.

Edit: Yes, should have put this in the Conte thread, but to be fair, that’s currently the invent a new continental competition thread ;).

What I find pretty amazing is that pre-op Conte was a man , I mean respected and his name sung by fans. He has emergency surgery, is out, we start losing and fall out of 2 cups and he’s suddenly the bogie man. Odd that no one even cares. Are we that heartless?
Pre op conte was losing the fan base in the ground
I don’t know if you go but the atmosphere hasn’t been good with him under the helm for sometime

Am I mistaken, or do we have an option on another year?

Seems like there should be no rush from the clubs point of view to get an extension done mid season if that’s the case.

Edit: Yes, should have put this in the Conte thread, but to be fair, that’s currently the invent a new continental competition thread ;).

We do. But he'd have to want to stay or it would be brick.

We do. But he'd have to want to stay or it would be brick.

Quite, just seems some elements of the fan base are panicking over something that might well already have been decided on and communicated to the relevant stakeholders.

Things weren't great before the operation though - that loss to Arsenal was so frustrating. The football has been turgid all season. Coupled with the fact that he doesn't want to be here and the way that he has used players. It is the manner that we have gone out of the cups which is frustrating. Losing 1-0 to two teams which we are better than. Yes there were moments when we were signing his name but it hasn't been consistent.

I was really excited for Conte to have a full season with the team....

I was really excited for Conte to have a full season with the team....
As it appears Conte gets better results when he's got a weeks preparation, the world cup has really fuct us. Add in his illness and absence, and we still haven't had a 'full' season. With Udogie and one exceptional central defender in the summer window, I think we could have that season, next season. If we don't, I think there will always be a feeling that Conte wasn't given the full backing of the board or the fans. If we're fourth with a disfunctional team, we'd be mad not to see where we can go with a functioning one?

As it appears Conte gets better results when he's got a weeks preparation, the world cup has really fuct us. Add in his illness and absence, and we still haven't had a 'full' season. With Udogie and one exceptional central defender in the summer window, I think we could have that season, next season. If we don't, I think there will always be a feeling that Conte wasn't given the full backing of the board or the fans. If we're fourth with a disfunctional team, we'd be mad not to see where we can go with a functioning one?
I think you're being too generous.

After the run in last season, I'd of bet my house on a top 4 finish this season as a minimum.
It feels like we've regressed when admittedly we are pretty much where we were last season...although to match the stellar last quarter of a season we had last year is still to be revealed.
The WC effects everyone, does it effect everyone equally, who knows?
It could be argued he had a second pre season with the players not at the WC or the ones who came back early?
If you want to be managing a top 6 team in the PL then unfortunately you're going to have to face up to (and be good at) 2 games a week.
The problem he has is the team look one dimensional and frankly, boring to watch. Have other teams worked out our system (hardly difficult) and Conte has no response?. If his only way of succeeding is requesting £50/60m players dropped into every position, yes he can have that over 4/5 windows but I get the hunch that people (fans/board) require a bit more for £15m a year. They see it happening elsewhere, and that grates.

After the run in last season, I'd of bet my house on a top 4 finish this season as a minimum.
It feels like we've regressed when admittedly we are pretty much where we were last season...although to match the stellar last quarter of a season we had last year is still to be revealed.
It could be argued he had a second pre season with the players not at the WC or the ones who came back early?
If you want to be managing a top 6 team in the PL then unfortunately you're going to have to face up to (and be good at) 2 games a week.
The problem he has is the team look one dimensional and frankly, boring to watch. Have other teams worked out our system (hardly difficult) and Conte has no response?. If his only way of succeeding is requesting £50/60m players dropped into every position, yes he can have that over 4/5 windows but I get the hunch that people (fans/board) require a bit more for £15m a year. They see it happening elsewhere, and that grates.
Well you may be nearer the truth than me, but the point I'm making is, without another season, we'll never know. As much as some of the football has been awful this season, I don't like chopping and changing all the time, as we'll never get anywhere. Give him a proper go, then if it doesn't work, give the next guy a proper go. I wouldn't call this season a proper go for all sorts of reasons.

Well you may be nearer the truth than me, but the point I'm making is, without another season, we'll never know. As much as some of the football has been awful this season, I don't like chopping and changing all the time, as we'll never get anywhere. Give him a proper go, then if it doesn't work, give the next guy a proper go. I wouldn't call this season a proper go for all sorts of reasons.

The realities of the modern game though are that clubs and teams need to move forward, I personally, maybe with hindsight would take a season out the CL and no trophies if I truly believed there was a greater dawn. Regardless how I think everyone else including the powers that matter and players want progress and wins, thats just the nature of the game now. No bigger picture

Absolutely. The run-in last season was brilliant. We were playing swashbuckling football, full of confidence. It was like 2016 all over again. I had very high hopes going into this season. And all we got was turgid defensive first halves followed by desperate second halves. Okay, Conte (and players) are preserving energy before the WC. Or something like that. But it just didn't get any better.

Maybe we're about to go on a run again. We've got easier games on paper and plenty of time for preparation. I can but hope.

Back