• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Had the pleasure of watching the game tonight. I wanted Arse to get within a goal of Bayern so they will give it there all in the away leg. Now they have to score at least 3 goals away, realistically they will be focusing on 4th in the PL now.

Their midfield is still a class act. I wish we could pass the ball as well as they can. But they lack physical presence, a solid defense, and like us really, a dependable forward line. The NLD will not be a pushover. They have a lot of very good players, and we'll see their form improve in the league now, as they make up for crashing out of the cups.

I only saw the last 15 minutes of the game and if Gomez is available I would give that one a swerve. Can he play football? Robben was superb and so was Wheelchair.
Arsenal looked dangerous and if they had nicked another goal to make it 3-2...they would still have been knocked out after the return leg.
Wheelchair was man enough to face the cameras afterwards but Wenger ran like a girl and did not shake hands with BM or talk to ITV.
I think the wheel has come off the barrow. How did Ramsey play before he got subbed?
Strachan said Wenger has improved as a manager over the last 10 years but his players haven't.

Had the pleasure of watching the game tonight. I wanted Arse to get within a goal of Bayern so they will give it there all in the away leg. Now they have to score at least 3 goals away, realistically they will be focusing on 4th in the PL now.

Their midfield is still a class act. I wish we could pass the ball as well as they can. But they lack physical presence, a solid defense, and like us really, a dependable forward line. The NLD will not be a pushover. They have a lot of very good players, and we'll see their form improve in the league now, as they make up for crashing out of the cups.

A lot of fun watching Arsenal crash out of the FA-cup at home to Blackburn, watch them get outplayed at home to Bayern and of course watch Wenger implode in various ways along the way.

I think you're right though, the fight for 4th will most likely be a close one.

I only saw the last 15 minutes of the game and if Gomez is available I would give that one a swerve. Can he play football? Robben was superb and so was Wheelchair.
Arsenal looked dangerous and if they had nicked another goal to make it 3-2...they would still have been knocked out after the return leg.
Wheelchair was man enough to face the cameras afterwards but Wenger ran like a girl and did not shake hands with BM or talk to ITV.
I think the wheel has come off the barrow. How did Ramsey play before he got subbed?
Strachan said Wenger has improved as a manager over the last 10 years but his players haven't.

Gomez is a strange one. He is a Jekyll and Hyde type player if I ever saw one. I've seen him play like a donkey in some games, and then in other games look like he is like the most lethal finisher on the planet. I can't figure him out. One thing for sure is that he would divide Spurs fans like no player we ever purchased.

Why does Wenger keep doing that? He's had previous on this very thing if I recall correctly. It's jolly rude.

Ramsey was brick btw.

I don't expect Aston Villa to do us any favours but I reckon Benteke and N'Zogbia could cause them problems.

Hoping they hit a psychological trough against Villa. Easy win on paper, but could be a real chore if Villa can get into the second half even on the scoreboard. This much must be said: Absolutely zero pressure on Villa in this game. Massive weight on Arsenal.

We could be playing away to Barca with half our team missing and you still think we'd win :lol:

I do admire your optimisim, I am the complete opposite.

:ross:

I admit I might be the only person here who believes that had Crouch not been sent off we'd have got past Madrid in the quarters! I actually felt we'd get to the FINAL that year!!! :eek:

Gomez is a strange one. He is a Jekyll and Hyde type player if I ever saw one. I've seen him play like a donkey in some games, and then in other games look like he is like the most lethal finisher on the planet. I can't figure him out. One thing for sure is that he would divide Spurs fans like no player we ever purchased.

Why does Wenger keep doing that? He's had previous on this very thing if I recall correctly. It's jolly rude.

Ramsey was brick btw.

finishing aside (even that is eratic and highly dependent on confidence) i feel Gomez is pretty brick at most things when compared to other strikers that play on that big a stage

there is a reason bayern looked to upgrade him and did so easily.

i wouldnt want Gomez AT ALL

I also wanted Bayern to just win the 1st leg by the odd goal so that the ARSEnal players would still have real hope of progressing and thus not be fully focussed on the Premier League until the 2nd leg was completed.

Fingers crossed their deluded manager can convince the players that even 1-3 is not insurmountable, as we could do with every bit of help we can get to end this atrocious run of 16 consecutive seasons of finishing below them in the league... [-o<

finishing aside (even that is eratic and highly dependent on confidence) i feel Gomez is pretty brick at most things when compared to other strikers that play on that big a stage

there is a reason bayern looked to upgrade him and did so easily.

i wouldnt want Gomez AT ALL

Gomez is a German Darren Bent

They're so fickle . Facebook is all "Wenger out" again now. Couple of months ago he was GHod. The yo-yo'ing of opinion is ludicrous

No laughing at all. Let's win the Uefa and qualify for the Champions League, only then can we be even a little smug.

As far as Arsenal go their problem is this. In Carzola, Wheelchair and Arteta they have very fine midfield players, the trouble is, Arteta and particularly Carzola are great when they are winning but disappear when they are losing.

Wheelchair is a worry though. He is imho very similar to Gascoigne is the way he runs with the ball. Not on Paul's mercurial level but very, very good. Let's hope they sell him too.

Oh, and their defence is brick.

Last edited:
Basically no one should be under illusion that we are going to beat Arsenal just because they lost to Blackburn and Bayern.

They can cause us many issues. We should be majorly pumped for this one considering the past two humiliations. We need to play with intensity and desire and the crowd will need to play their part when we sense blood. Get at them early and bury them.

Gomez is going to get his own thread at this rate. I just replied to a post about him in another thread. That was disorientating.

-----

I think last night broke the Arsenal fans.

For once I'm not actually laughing at Arsenal. It seems a lot of them thought they would win and are highly disappointed... I can't feel anything but pity. In their heads, was it a fair contest? One of the major favourites for the competition vs them? I can't even describe them in a way that illustrates exactly how far everyone knew they were away from Bayern on paper.

It was sad listening to their points this morning, some were "why didn't X play?" and "why did X play?"... If Liverpool played Dortmund, lost 3-1 and made arguments asking why a player didn't play and asking why one did, we'd all look at them with an expression that says "in what bizarre world do you live in to think that you could somehow have played a different combination of players and somehow won the game, dominating possession and thoroughly outplaying a team that's far far far far better than you"... That is the slightly unfortunate situation I find myself in today.

The really stupid thing is, everyone can see what Wenger was thinking.

Before the game, you put the expected line up against the Bayern lineup and you had a basic idea of how the match was going to go. Wenger to his credit accepted Bayern were the better team before kick off and made 1 change that in his mind helped with at least 4 major problems.

Bayern had injury problems, they had to play their 4th choice CB alongside Dante, the result is that they'd have 2 giants.
Arsenal had Vermaelen playing lb and their left wide forward is Podolski.
Bayern's midfield trio was better than Arsenal's midfield trio.
Bayern's lb is very very very fast.

The first point obviously meant that Giroud's height would not be that much of an advantage. Bayern's 4th choice CB is basically a good version of Mertesacker. However, like Mertesacker, he isn't very quick.

The second point meant that Bayern's right side which is one of the best right sides in world football would be against a wide forward not known for his tracking back and a CB that has had a nightmare whenever he has played lb before in big games. (And in most small games.)

As things stood, Arsenal were going to lose the midfield battle badly. They were against a better passing trio, a better tackling trio, a more tactically aware trio, a better trio at just about everything.

Walcott has always been fast, the problem with always being fast is that fast people don't have much experience not having a huge speed advantage. Danny Graham is slow as fudge and therefore has spent his career learning how to play against people that are faster than him, Walcott has not had this learning experience.

----------

The problem between Wenger's solution and the way we see Wenger's solution is we all know that even if Arsenal had put 4 men on top of each other in the middle of midfield they still would have struggled to deal with Bayern's 3, that's ignoring the difficulties Cazorla would have trying to play wonky. (Plus, we had many matches of watching Modric play wide and thus had match experience to back up what logic would have suggested... Arsenal have played Cazorla on the wing before, but obviously not enough for Wenger to notice the dip in his influence there.)

Wenger's solution was simple, Ramsey... This is Wenger's 2nd mistake when it came to this solution, he gave his team too much credit at first but in Ramsey he has the personification of giving someone too much credit. To Wenger, Ramsey is something completely different than he is to us. To us he is an accident waiting to happen, an accident that can be relied upon to happen in most games.

In fairness to Ramsey he did play one of his best games in the past couple of years since he came back from that leg break.

So, if Wenger wasn't such an asshole, I might feel sorry for him. But getting back to my original point, how fudging deluded can Arsenal fans be if they thought one change would have seen the game won? Hell, they could play the same match 100 times and use different combinations of players each time and the same pattern of play would happen.

Bayern have fresh memories of playing a brick English side and it not working out, I struggle to see what Arsenal fans could possibly hope for. They know they gave Chelsea no hope in hell and then saw a game in which a weaker Bayern side than now missed a penalty, lost a penalty shootout and missed a fudgeton of chances.

They should consider themselves lucky that they got a corner that wasn't a corner and scored the strangest goal from a corner that Bayern will concede for many many years.

5 minutes before that, their goalkeeper had his back to play while he did GK warm ups.

Finally... Andy Townsend's "take off Arteta for Giroud" deserves an honourable mention.

Southgate actually spoke sense after the match when he said Wheelchair probably wouldn't make Bayern's team, let alone anyone else from Arsenal.

I do feel sorry for the supremely deluded ones, they make Liverpool fans look down to earth. But the rest of them are pretty tinkled too, so that's quite funny.

If someone has the version of this from last night, I'd appreciate it.
3w650c0.bild_.jpeg

Last edited:
Basically no one should be under illusion that we are going to beat Arsenal just because they lost to Blackburn and Bayern.

They can cause us many issues. We should be majorly pumped for this one considering the past two humiliations. We need to play with intensity and desire and the crowd will need to play their part when we sense blood. Get at them early and bury them.

I agree with this. I would actually say that it's pretty obvious. (not a criticism of you post)

That fact won't stop me from enjoying them losing and having a good old chuckle about it too :)

Back