• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Annual Tottenham Hotspur Striker Search: January 2015 Edition

How many of our players would say the same? I get the feeling they dislike us a lot more than our players dislike them. Was good to see Chadli give their fans some stick back when he scored in the last derby.

How many of our players would say the same? I get the feeling they dislike us a lot more than our players dislike them. Was good to see Chadli give their fans some stick back when he scored in the last derby.

I'd rather they focused on playing football than being on the internet. Podolski is a publicity *****, much like Sczxcny.

I'd rather they focused on playing football than being on the internet. Podolski is a publicity *****, much like Sczxcny.

All the same it's a good point. VDV brought some real fire into the NLD and got into it much more than any Spurs player I can think of in recent history

Today Berahino had one chance and scored. Based on this season's form I would not have felt confident on putting money on either Adebayor or Soldado converting that chance. Therein lies the fundamental problem we have at Spurs at the moment.

No that was another Mitrovic. He is highly coveted, seen little clips of him here and there and he is a classic Bayern type signing from that part of the world that they snare before anyone else really knows the score. Mitrovic and Batshuayi were the two young guns to look out for as forwards in belgium last season.

Cheers.

Seems like an interesting target in deed. I still think Poch prefers having a target man type player and Mitrovic looks like he can play that part.

No they haven't and that's partly because they don't play as well as the forwards we had then. I'm not going to have a big debate about Crouch as I've done it too many times over the years. I was and remain a bg fan of what he did for us during Harry's halycon years, and for me it would improve our squad if we could get in another striker as good as Crouch was.

Crouch was good but limited; for a big man he wasn't really very good in the air as a target man; the link-up he had with VDV was initially great until the method reached its limitation and he wasn't the fastest. That's why we brought in Ade at that time who (footballing wise) was a massive upgrade.

I'd hope we bring in someone who was BETTER than Crouch was as that method worked for us then, but it wouldn't work anywhere near as well now

We have become a bit of a graveyard for strikes haven't we?

Who would have thought that Soldado would be the disappointment he has been thud far? I remember how excited I was when he signed; I can't remember when we bought someone with such a clinical record. It seemed like another of the final pieces of the jigsaw. Gooners were jealous.

Maybe our club's atmosphere just doesn't suit strikers anymore. Who knows if Berahino will be able to replicate his form with us, as the pressures at WHL are TOTALLY different to the Hawthornes.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the next few months go. I just hope Soldado's missed penalty doesn't totally knock his confidence as the link-up play with Eriksen and others was VERY promising

I just hope Soldado's missed penalty doesn't totally knock his confidence as the link-up play with Eriksen and others was VERY promising

Im glad you think that, I was impressed with our attacking play also, shame about the defending.....and my new f**king avatar!

I would love to see Kane & Soldado given some time in the upcoming home games, Hopefully Poch isnt immune to playing two strikers, sometimes the need arises to play two up front, I still maintain not one of our strikers is really suitable for the lone role.

Im glad you think that, I was impressed with our attacking play also, shame about the defending.....and my new f**king avatar!

I would love to see Kane & Soldado given some time in the upcoming home games, Hopefully Poch isnt immune to playing two strikers, sometimes the need arises to play two up front, I still maintain not one of our strikers is really suitable for the lone role.
Why do we need to change formation if you were impressed with our attacking play against Emirates Marketing Project?

Why do we need to change formation if you were impressed with our attacking play against Emirates Marketing Project?

Because presently I do not believe we have the striker capable to pull off the lone striker role, I believe all of our forward players are more suited to playing with a strike partner. I think this is a reasonable explanation for Ade & Soldado's lack of goals.

I Believe at certain times against certain opposition we should be playing with two strikers, I believe that when the situation arises or for a difficult away fixture we should go with 1, basically be adaptable to any given situation.

I would like us to be competent at 4-4-1-1 (4-4-2) and obviously 4-5-1 which can easily turn into 4-3-3. I would love it if we could pull off those three with decent levels of success. I really worry that we are taking the Wenger route and just rigidly sticking to one set-up one style of play, I am sure that as time goes by we will get better at this style but it has still been a major weakness from the other lot where they just stick to their 4-3-3 with wing forwards and never change it up. I think its responsible for their struggles against the other top sides.

The players need to get used to playing together but we need to be more than just a one trick pony, I do worry that we are now fixated on the Pochettino brand and we wont even consider another way of playing.

I do think its a weakness to just have one philosophy, one style of playing the game, I do also think that Poch should have started two strikers in certain games this season, Sunderland, WBA, and the europa league games for example. I see West Ham playing with two strikers at the moment and their confidence is sky high, QPR played better at the weekend playing with two strikers.

Basically I would love us to have a squad of talented players who play with excellent teamwork and were excellent at the above three formations, that is where I would love us to be, jacks of all trades not just one.

Because presently I do not believe we have the striker capable to pull off the lone striker role, I believe all of our forward players are more suited to playing with a strike partner. I think this is a reasonable explanation for Ade & Soldado's lack of goals.

I Believe at certain times against certain opposition we should be playing with two strikers, I believe that when the situation arises or for a difficult away fixture we should go with 1, basically be adaptable to any given situation.

I would like us to be competent at 4-4-1-1 (4-4-2) and obviously 4-5-1 which can easily turn into 4-3-3. I would love it if we could pull off those three with decent levels of success. I really worry that we are taking the Wenger route and just rigidly sticking to one set-up one style of play, I am sure that as time goes by we will get better at this style but it has still been a major weakness from the other lot where they just stick to their 4-3-3 with wing forwards and never change it up. I think its responsible for their struggles against the other top sides.

The players need to get used to playing together but we need to be more than just a one trick pony, I do worry that we are now fixated on the Pochettino brand and we wont even consider another way of playing.

I do think its a weakness to just have one philosophy, one style of playing the game, I do also think that Poch should have started two strikers in certain games this season, Sunderland, WBA, and the europa league games for example. I see West Ham playing with two strikers at the moment and their confidence is sky high, QPR played better at the weekend playing with two strikers.

Basically I would love us to have a squad of talented players who play with excellent teamwork and were excellent at the above three formations, that is where I would love us to be, jacks of all trades not just one.

Top post. I agree 100%.

We shouldn't be playing the same team or formation against Emirates Marketing Project away as say, Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home. Horses for courses.

I wouldn't want to turn this into another Ade vs Soldado thread, lets just say I would be very interested to see Adebayor with Lamela/Chadli just off him and of course Kane & Soldado as I have mentioned.

I appreciate my earlier post Milo was a bit contradictory, I think we were right in our set up against City but we were let down by poor finishing and weak defending. I do think we looked much more creative and lively with Soldado in front of the three than Ade has this season, thats just my opinion so I hope people dont think im just blasting Ade.

Going back a few years we had a good balance of everything, pace on the wings Bale & Lennon a destroyer in Parker a creator in Modric, we could knock it up to Crouch if needed to we had Pav who was an accomplished finisher we had VDV as a no10 who was uber creative.....we played super fast football and would blow other teams away at times. I just dont see we have that sort of balance any more, We have to many players with similar strengths and weaknesses.

Dont get me wrong I loved watching Southampton play last year, I thought they were breathtaking at times, I just hope Poch can think outside the box a little because while his style with suitable players is commendable, at present we dont have the players to pull it off and it makes us so predictable if we are going into every league match with the same set-up and personnel.

Agree with the outlook nigeyman.
Gk and back shouldn't change along with the one in front of defence. That's your platform, everything from there forward should be able to mix it up. The two problem areas at present are CB pairing and who in front of the dm, behind the front 3.
IMV eriksen, chadli, Lamella, Kane Ade and Soldado all have enough between them to mix it up.
There's an itk doing the rounds saying Poch has board level support and time, and I think the team selections and his demeanour would back that up. He's looking for a chemistry to develop somewhere to give the front players a spark.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I think that it is best to judge players as units and the front four worked well together on Saturday. I think that it is best to stick with something that is working and if they continue to play like they did on Saturday in our coming fixtures they will score goals.

I also think that it is easy to accommodate Kane within the current formation as one of the three behind the #9. In fact doing this would be playing him in the position where he has impressed most this season.

I am not concerned that Poch only has one way that he wants the side to play. We have adopted several different approaches to games this season and he has shown willingness to change things from the bench too.

I think that switching to 442 in some games now would be a backward step and would slow our players getting used to Poch's preferred way of playing. It is also a way of guaranteeing that you get out numbered in midfield against any half decent team and would leave our defence even more exposed than they currently are.

I think that it is best to judge players as units and the front four worked well together on Saturday. I think that it is best to stick with something that is working and if they continue to play like they did on Saturday in our coming fixtures they will score goals.

I also think that it is easy to accommodate Kane within the current formation as one of the three behind the #9. In fact doing this would be playing him in the position where he has impressed most this season.

I am not concerned that Poch only has one way that he wants the side to play. We have adopted several different approaches to games this season and he has shown willingness to change things from the bench too.

I think that switching to 442 in some games now would be a backward step and would slow our players getting used to Poch's preferred way of playing. It is also a way of guaranteeing that you get out numbered in midfield against any half decent team and would leave our defence even more exposed than they currently are.

4-3-1-2 is ideal imo

[emoji106]

4-3-1-2 is ideal imo

When Walker is back it is an option, as the full backs are paramount for width(not that they aren't important in current formation). Rose is good at providing such width but without Walker I dont think our right hand side does that enough. It also means Chadli, Eriksen and Lamela would be fighting for one spot - I dont think Lamela would be dropped, I cant see Eriksen not playing, and I think Poch really rates Chadli (as do I).

In short I think Poch will persist with the formation he has been starting with....

Back