• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

Way over the top imo, we big up players so much on here when they do something special but this is ridiculous. He is no where near one of the most technically gifted players ever, he is technically gifted don’t get me wrong but i bet if you tried, you could find hundreds of players with highlights doing things he done. Vastly overrated and isn’t fit to lace Moussa’s boots, he will always be looked at as a Temu version of Dembele.

No chance you are finding hundreds of players able to take on players at Ndombele's level. Players especially in the modern game can barely dribble past a single opponent never mind multiple. To be fair I meant to say for Tottenham but missed out the word. Point still applies though. No different to Ferguson saying Morrison was the best he'd ever seen, or people making similar comments about Nile Ranger. All pro's are technically good, but there are some who are better. Nothing to say that translates into being an effective 90 min player but to find outstanding dribblers is very rare.

Articles like that can be countered by what he was showing on the pitch
I saw him boss games for Lyon against better sides … that’s the ability question ticked

He also had to come back form being dumped as a youth player. That’s testament to a mind set

It’s impossible for anyone to know things about mind set and dare I say when you question a player and they don’t speak the same language it’s possible things don’t land as they might.

I’ve seen articles also talking about Demebele of a simailr ilk. It’s speculation that can be flipped both ways
To be fair, the article I read at the time spoke about his talents, spoke about how he had bossed Emirates Marketing Project in the CL but said there were question marks around his mindset and desire. Signing players is not an exact science and hindsight is 20:20 but when you get one so spectacularly wrong, questions have to be asked about the process that decided he was a good buy when a lot of the warning signs that came to fruition were evident at the point of signing.

To be fair, the article I read at the time spoke about his talents, spoke about how he had bossed Emirates Marketing Project in the CL but said there were question marks around his mindset and desire. Signing players is not an exact science and hindsight is 20:20 but when you get one so spectacularly wrong, questions have to be asked about the process that decided he was a good buy when a lot of the warning signs that came to fruition were evident at the point of signing.
I agree…. To a point
I’m not sure there was a lot of warning signs, just opinions
It’s not a science as you say
I’d flip the negative attitude comments by saying his attitude must have been something for him to come back from not being offered pro terms. He had to work his way back
mindset and mentality are really variable and can change so much with players
Look at dele … desire and work with talent made him unstoppable, then something changed
We don’t know
Big I do agree that the club have to look at the process which I believe they do more and more

Quite. Too many of our big signings around that period failed on the mental aspect rather than ability. Lo Celso and Sessegnon as well -- nothing wrong with their ability, just lacking some sort of edge psychologically that would have made them excellent players for our club. In my head this goes back to Paulinho, even Bentley, but that may be unfair.

I remember that we were in for Bruno Fernandes but chose Lo Celso -- maybe the former wouldn't have come to us with ManU knocking, or we just stopped short of courting him and made sure we got Lo Celso. On paper it looked like we'd made a sound choice at the time. Then Fernandes dragged a below-par ManU side into contention, assisting and scoring important goals...and penalties!

Some of it is to do with the top top players not coming to us, which is fair enough -- the players with the bulletproof mentalities are going to be the ones backing themselves to play at the biggest clubs, of course. But some has to go down to the recruitment team at the time.

Imagine if he had had the drive and determination to go with his skill! It is a key attribute that we should now assess before signing players. Genuis being 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration n all.

Quite. Too many of our big signings around that period failed on the mental aspect rather than ability. Lo Celso and Sessegnon as well -- nothing wrong with their ability, just lacking some sort of edge psychologically that would have made them excellent players for our club. In my head this goes back to Paulinho, even Bentley, but that may be unfair.

I remember that we were in for Bruno Fernandes but chose Lo Celso -- maybe the former wouldn't have come to us with ManU knocking, or we just stopped short of courting him and made sure we got Lo Celso. On paper it looked like we'd made a sound choice at the time. Then Fernandes dragged a below-par ManU side into contention, assisting and scoring important goals...and penalties!

Some of it is to do with the top top players not coming to us, which is fair enough -- the players with the bulletproof mentalities are going to be the ones backing themselves to play at the biggest clubs, of course. But some has to go down to the recruitment team at the time.
We chose Gio
Bruno had already had a failed move overseas to Italy and we did bid. Their chairman confirmed we were the only serious bidder

I've never criticised Levy for this signing and never will. Like @Bedfordspurs has said it hasn't worked but not due to a lack of talent. He's exactly the type of player we should have gone for, that it didn't work was unforeseeable. So I think it would be really unfair to criticise the board for him not working out.

As said it's exactly the kind of profile signing that fits what we're trying to do considering our limitations.

My only issue with it, which is possibly not true anyway but the generally believed wages of 200k a week would be absolutely nuts if true. Tanguy is / was indisputably talented and had the tools to step up but he had only come up from L2 levels with questions about his attitude/ application - To give him what Kane would have been on at his peak here would be madness.

Imagine if he had had the drive and determination to go with his skill! It is a key attribute that we should now assess before signing players. Genuis being 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration n all.
I have a feeling we do (now). Phycological profiling and the whole off the field analysis is vital. Almost negligent to not dig deep in this area.

That summer 2019 window was one of the worst we’ve had in a while:

Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sessegnon
Clarke

None of them have represented value for money or have improved the team.

Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sessegnon
Clarke

And ironically it was our first window of big spending now the stadium had finally been built. I think most fans felt pretty positive about it at the time! How wrong we were.

Ndombele
Lo Celso
Sessegnon
Clarke

But we did sack the coach who had brought them in after and couple of games and replace him with someone at the other end of the spectrum tactically and motivationally. So we'll never know how they would have worked out with a progressive and supportive coach.

All of us hate Judas; he cost us nothing and played really well for us, then went on a free to the scum. Horrible.

But Ndombele is actually much worse; the oceans of money we've spent on him, and he did feck all for us, and we had to pay him to get rid of him. He has set us back years. Imagine if we'd got a motivated version of Ndombele, it would have dragged us up the league significantly, which would have placed us right near the top.

But we did sack the coach who had brought them in after and couple of games and replace him with someone at the other end of the spectrum tactically and motivationally. So we'll never know how they would have worked out with a progressive and supportive coach.

In life at school, college or at work we have to do things that we may not like for people who don't appreciate our performance but we all try our best or should, in his time here he's never looked committed to try to change or improve to me. Hard to label someone with it but to me he appears to have no self respect or professionalism.

Last edited:

I mean you’re right and it didn’t help them having Jose but he left years ago and they still haven’t done much. Not enough to justify what we paid for them.

I think we dodged a bullet with Fernandes, too few good moments for the money United paid, and it’s easier to play for United, the shirt still scares the opposition and officials.

He is a bit of a flat track bully but id still have him every day of the week over Lo Celso. Fernandes is healthy and available much more than Lo Celso for a start and he can actually use both feet.

Agree with just about everything written in this thread.

At this point we should have been desperate not to lose him to Real Madrid had he fulfilled just part of his potential.

He's been absolutely world class for us, a minute at the time, once in a while. He's capable of stuff almost no other player is capable of. But it's not nearly enough without the right attitude, work rate, consistency, effort.

Perhaps could have been a different story had he come in at a different, less turbulent time. But also he's had many chances here and elsewhere to get his career back on track and has repeatedly failed to take those.

On a human level he "made it". He's wealthy and can do whatever he wants with his life. But on a football level he had opportunities to become fantastic, talent that could have taken him to the very top, surely at some point he worked hard to get that good at what he's good at. But he failed at making the next step repeatedly.

Back