• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My statement of complete assurity was based on basic common sense, we wouldn't sell (or release in Saha's case) our strikers leaving us with just Defoe, if we weren't able to buy another one until Modric was sold ! What happens if Madrid never bid more than say 30m? We wouldn't accept that and we'd be left with 1 striker!

Not strictly true. I believe contracts traditionally run out shortly after the seasons end.

We finished the season with
Defoe - contracted for the next few seasons
Adebayor on loan - not ours, we have no say
Saha - Was he not signed on a short term contract? Meaning it would be the case of either letting it expire or signing him onto a new deal. Not a decision we would make at that point of the summer, IMO.

We all slag them off...but imagine how boring the summer would have been without ITK, even if it was made up? Literally we would signed Sigurdsson and Vertonghen and then had the next 6 weeks of absolute silence, would have been even more frustrating than it is now!

Buying someone might not be but who we buy could very much be linked.

For instance, say we have £15m to buy a striker. There is a limited number of options for that money and using it to bring Adebayor in might be the best bet. Now assume we sell Modric for £40m and buy say Moutinho for £30m. It would then be possible to use the extra to supplement the striker budget and look for a £25m striker.
I'm not saying we have defined budgets for striker or any other position. The key point is that deals may have affects on each other. We will be looking a several strikers and several midfielders, plus a few other positions as well. For each position there will be a range of prices and targets will have different availability. Who we get for one position will affect the possibilities elsewhere as we can't buy the most expensive option in each position. If a player we like becomes available it will have knock-on affects. The calculations will be further complicated by payment terms and cash flow.

So we might be confident we can sign Adebayor at any time by making a concession, but still holding out for an alternative, one that needs extra revenues from sales, or a player who is interested but still hoping one of the bigger clubs are interested. The apparent inaction doesn't mean we are doing nothing. It could be a sign that we are trying to get better players and a sign of ambition.

Absolutely, I was going to get in to this point in my first post, but didn't have the time to go in to detail. Basically though, the point I was making is that the insinuation that we only have funds to buy a striker if Modric is sold, is wrong IMO.

Absolutely, I was going to get in to this point in my first post, but didn't have the time to go in to detail. Basically though, the point I was making is that the insinuation that we only have funds to buy a striker if Modric is sold, is wrong IMO.

agreed. totally agreed

but people will have you believe that targeting and obtaining players is easy enough and that a lack of transfer activity is down to the manager not being able to close a deal. with this i dont agree

If those rumours about Saha training with the club are true if come Thursday we haven't signed a striker wouldn't be supposed if we gave him a one year deal

Who was that player for Southampton a few years ago? Claimed he was George Weah's cousin, or something like that, played for 20 mins but was hauled off for being brick. Was he a trialist?

Let's say hypothetically, Ade signs before Saturday. Do we play him ? He wont be anywhere near match fit.

He's been training at City, not with the first team. He did however reject to play in a friendly (not first team squad again). But yeah, probably not 100%. I'm certain this will happen.

We all slag them off...but imagine how boring the summer would have been without ITK, even if it was made up? Literally we would signed Sigurdsson and Vertonghen and then had the next 6 weeks of absolute silence, would have been even more frustrating than it is now!

There's a reason I don't read from the more sensational publications because there's a whole lot of trash out there. I lump most ITK along with it. I guess ITK is only a problem if you get your hopes up based on their information. But that would be like panicking when the homeless preacher on the street corner tells us the end is nigh.

Levy obviously runs things tightly so I don't think any transfer business is going to get leaked, especially to no lifer ITKs, but at this point I'm expecting us to sign someone whose name has hardly been mentioned in this thread, if at all (besides Ade). Now watch us sign Llorente...

Back