• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First I have heard of it to be honest Jimmy. LB, absolutely - well publicised, CM? News to me.

I also believe he played CB at OT, though to be fair he seemed to carry the ball into midfield continuously

Look at the games we lost it was hardly because we ran out of steam. I mean the second to last game of the season we battered Villa right to the end with 10 men, so it can't be for lack legs, as it this level of sport, you can't do that without supreme fitness! We didn't look out of steam when losing to Everton, whilst utterly dominating them. Late goals against Swansea, Bolton, Blackburn and Stoke don't exactly suggest we lacked legs. Our fitness was fine, in fact it was good. We scored too many late goals and our stats in terms of shots, passes and tackles etc were simply way too high for there to have been fitness issue's. The only area where we had a fitness issue, was with Leds and this did show up a few times, most notably the Norwich game. But generally speaking fitness isn't an area where there is really room for improvement.

If we need to improve our fitness levels then so do Arsenals, which I find hard to believe. They crawled over the line and only got third as West Brom literally gave them 2 goals, otherwise they wouldn't have won in their last 5 fixtures. The season before that they only won 1 of their last 7! If you look at our results I can see why one could see a correlation and thus think there are fitness issues, but if you look at the actual performances, there is simply no way we could be so dominant in games at this level and be unfit. If you look t out last 10 games, which is over 1/4 of the season, we took 19 points, which is actually third place form! So it wasn't a fitness issue. We had a bad third quarter of the season, but a simple look at the fixture list suggests this was always going to be the case. For all the reason put forward by our fans for what happened, the most obvious is by far the most plausible. We lost points when we had our toughest run of fixtures! It's as simple as that. The fixture list distorts things at times and it made us look better than we were. We then had a run of 7 games in which we played Emirates Marketing Project away, Liverpool away, Arsenal away, Man Utd and Everton away!

our last 10 games were:m Fulham (h), Villa (a), Bolton (a), Blackburn (h), QPR (a) Norwich (h) Sunderland (a) Swansea (h) Stoke (h) Everton (a). Hardly the hardest run of games in the Premiership. We took 15 points from those games. Not even mid table form.

Late goals maybe. But none of those were winning goals. If fact I dont remember a winning goal scored in the last 5 mins the whole of last season. Compare and contrast to the Arse.

Conclusion: our fitness levels were suspect and we didnt have the killer instinct to win games at the death.

Hope this improves this year. Along with corners and freekicks.

COYS

Arnesen says van der Vaart is not an option atm, but that #THFC chairman Levy often makes transfers on deadline day: "He needs that thrill."

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho expects Nuri Sahin to join a Premier League club before the close of the transfer window.
Turkish midfielder Sahin has been strongly linked with several English clubs and is now set to join Arsenal on a 12-month loan deal with a purchase clause.

Mourinho denied suggestions he was against Sahin joining a Champions League rival.

"I want him to play, for him to go somewhere to play. The Premier League could teach him new aspects of his game but I don't mind where he goes," he told reporters.

"It's not at all true that there's any one club to which I would prefer that he went. It doesn't matter to me, I just hope that it's sorted for him soon.

"It's absolutely fine with me whether he goes to Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham."

The Portuguese boss also hinted that he may be open to offers for Brazilian playmaker Kaka, though the former AC Milan star has received considerably less interest than Sahin.

"They're different situations – with Nuri there are several options but nobody has made an official bid for Kaka like they have for Nuri," the ex-Chelsea boss said.

Another player reportedly bound for the Premier League is Ricardo Carvalho but Mourinho insists that he is unaware of any bid from QPR for the Portuguese centre-back, nor does he anticipate Mark Hughes needing both Carvalho and fellow target Michael Dawson.

"I can't confirm anything with QPR," Mourinho said.

"I don't even know if the information is correct or not because they've told me that Dawson has signed for QPR for nine million pounds.

"If they've signed Dawson, I don't know if they'll be interested in Carvalho."

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/August/22/mourinho-sahin-set-for-england-move/

Thats what scares me. First two are top class, next two are at best not fully proven and the last isnt a CM in a two man CM

Do you think that we will predominantly be playing a two man midfield?

I don't.

And, let's not forget, we will either have Modric or his replacement as first choice creative midfielder - which will mean that, in terms of depth at least, we will be no worse off than last season and, arguably, better off.

Back